Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy my 1st ford

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-13-2019, 12:51 PM
garrinchilders
New User
garrinchilders is starting off with a positive reputation.

I Work for a GM dealer, been a GM guy all my life. We took in a Ford on trade that I like a lot - but I am afraid to pull the trigger. its an (adult owned/driven) 2014 F350 Platinum Crew 86,5xx Miles. It has a 6" rough country lift and 37" Mickey Thompsons. (lift and tires installed at 14K miles). It has been fully deleted and has a bully dog programmer without any outside tuning (just the 4 settings from bully dog) (it was deleted at 60k miles). It's of course loaded and in seemingly good condition, but I know NOTHING about these trucks. I have heard if they have oversized tires then its soon to need a torque converter or a whole transmission if not tended to quickly, I have heard they blow intercooler piping, I have heard numerous stories especially working at a GM dealer. I just want to know what should I be on the lookout for when asking the previous owner questions? what are the tell-tales that I should look out for? Where am I gonna have to spend money? With the truck being deleted, I am not able to purchase an extended warranty, so any failures are on me.

***Previous owner had issues with his previous Fords DEF system just outside of warranty, is the reason he had it deleted, as to not have to go through that again.

2014 Platinum F350 Crew Cab 6.7 4x4
6" RCX lift, 37" Mickey Thompsons
Full Delete and Bully Dog Programmer.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:26 PM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Personally, I would not purchase any truck that had:
1. been lifted
2. oversized tires/wheels
3. been deleted
4. had a programmer

Even adults can be pretty childish when it comes to driving a big wheeled lifted truck around.

The transmission is generally regarded as being pretty bullet proof.
Intercooler pipes can be a problem. Many people carry a spare or replace with metal/silicon aftermarket.
I'd look at the differential. What is the final gear ratio? If it's too tall, turning those big tires might have resulted in some broken teeth.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2019, 01:41 PM
garrinchilders
New User
The list of modifications I would make to one if I were to buy a stock one would be a lift kit, with bigger wheels/tires, full DEF delete and a programmer. Working in the service department at a GM dealer and seeing the primary reason that we see any 2009+ diesel in the shop is the damn DPF or DEF system. I understand the reasoning behind it, but the cost to repair those components are the reason that the pre-def trucks have nearly doubled in value in the last decade. My last truck was a '05 crew cab duramax with 15" lift and 37" mud tires on 22x14 wheels & a quadzilla tuner with intake and straight pipe. Being a GM truck and having a GM diesel tech in my pocket at work wasn't too risky for me. Buying a Ford is uncharted territory for me.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:35 PM
lynnmor
Senior User
lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
1. been lifted
3. been deleted
4. had a programmer

Even adults can be pretty childish when it comes to driving a big wheeled lifted truck around.
Saved me some typing, I too want nothing to do with a childs toy.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:57 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
1. been lifted
3. been deleted
4. had a programmer

While this has everything you say you'd do to a truck ... these mods would eliminate it from MY shopping lists.
Did you ask the prior owner WHY he got rid of it?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:10 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
For me the actual doing that stuff is the fun part. If the deal is in your favor and you already know the risk, jump on it. I do agree truly knowing what was done and how it was used are big factors. Look forward to any new emission requirements in your area that may force the purchase/replacement of an OEM dpf system. That could be expensive if need be done.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:11 PM
Painted Horse
Postmaster
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
I only level my trucks, So I can't speak for the lift.
I run 35" and have had no problems 37" are heavier and take more energy to turn.
Emissions are manditory in my state. SO I've never done a delete.

I've got about 300,000 miles on several 6.7L engines. and they have been great But I'm not tweeking/tuning them.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:05 AM
garrinchilders
New User
Originally Posted by cangim View Post
For me the actual doing that stuff is the fun part. If the deal is in your favor and you already know the risk, jump on it. I do agree truly knowing what was done and how it was used are big factors. Look forward to any new emission requirements in your area that may force the purchase/replacement of an OEM dpf system. That could be expensive if need be done.
EVERY removed component is in the bed of the truck with all fasteners and hardware. The DEF components, EGR components, factory suspension, boxes and owners manuals for everything installed on the truck. previous owner traded it in a brand new 2019 Sierra AT4. Ordered one from us when they were announced. Left his number to pass on to the next owner if they had in questions about the truck.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 AM
bobv60
Posting Guru
bobv60 has a very good reputation on FTE.bobv60 has a very good reputation on FTE.bobv60 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by garrinchilders View Post
EVERY removed component is in the bed of the truck with all fasteners and hardware. The DEF components, EGR components, factory suspension, boxes and owners manuals for everything installed on the truck. previous owner traded it in a brand new 2019 Sierra AT4. Ordered one from us when they were announced. Left his number to pass on to the next owner if they had in questions about the truck.
the fact that he saved everything, and had manuals makes it sounds like he did take care of his rigs.
lift and tires for lots of people are for looks only, doesnt mean they where mudded.
There are also lots of people who delete for engine longevity, and like you posted, eliminate problems. I deleted my 2011 F450, never had the programmer out of the lowest tow tune, and never hot rodded it, not even close.
I think the red flags have been answered, the fact that he gave his number for you to give to the new owners tells me he is not trying to dump his problems on someone else.
Will you dealer let you drive it for a couple of days?
Can you get it for trade in value?
one thing I would check is for any water in the lower fuel filter.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:09 AM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have to agree that it appears your risks are minimal in this case. Checking for water in the fuel is a good idea, and I still think it's worth opening the pumpkin and checking the gear teeth. A visual inspection of the front suspension is also in order since those components have been under a higher than normal strain.
Have fun!

Old 03-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Overkill2
Elder User
Overkill2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Another thing to consider is what maintenance was done to not only oil changes but the other fluids as well like transmission, transfer case and diffs. With those bigger tires, it puts more stress on those components as they are bigger than stock. Just my thoughts...

Even though the 6.7 has the torque to turn the bigger tires without a regear, that definitely puts more strain on the trans and other components. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:36 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds like a solid truck to me. If the seller is a customer my bet is that if you decide to buy it he's going to regret selling it every time he comes back to your dealership and sees it. I'm not a "lift" guy and do tend to lean rightly or wrongly towards a lifted truck being abused but sounds like in this case it may be an exception to the rule. The other thing to consider is what are you planning to do with the truck? Is it going to be a toy / daily driver or are you going to put it to "work" - plowing, towing ...? Using a lifted truck for "work" can be challenging. Deleted is good, thinking the state you live in does not have emissions testing for diesels yet? The only thing I would do immediately would be to replace the cold side intercooler pipe. Then welcome to the world of the 6.7 PS Super Duty's. There are a ton of mods out there. If I had to do it all over again, 2nd mod would be the 50 gallon titan tank followed by the Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:36 PM
garrinchilders
New User
Originally Posted by bobv60 View Post
the fact that he saved everything, and had manuals makes it sounds like he did take care of his rigs.
lift and tires for lots of people are for looks only, doesnt mean they where mudded.
There are also lots of people who delete for engine longevity, and like you posted, eliminate problems. I deleted my 2011 F450, never had the programmer out of the lowest tow tune, and never hot rodded it, not even close.
I think the red flags have been answered, the fact that he gave his number for you to give to the new owners tells me he is not trying to dump his problems on someone else.

Will you dealer let you drive it for a couple of days? Probably, I have driven it a couple days to lunch. Balanced the tires and drove it again, they were WAY out. 37" mud tires, go figure.
Can you get it for trade in value? They Priced it to me for what I feel is a more than fair price, what would something like this generally be worth?
one thing I would check is for any water in the lower fuel filter Walk me through this, I peeked under the truck and seen the yellow **** on the filter housing and assumed that was a separator that I could catch a little fuel sample from but I didn't mess with it. Friend of mine told me that these are rock solid trucks unless you get some bad fuel (water or def in the tank) then its expensive fast. Is there ANY acceptable amount or expected amount of water to be release from the separator? .
Will you dealer let you drive it for a couple of days? Probably, I have driven it a couple days to lunch. Balanced the tires and drove it again, they were WAY out. 37" mud tires, go figure.
Can you get it for trade in value? They Priced it to me for what I feel is a more than fair price, what would something like this generally be worth?
one thing I would check is for any water in the lower fuel filter Walk me through this, I peeked under the truck and seen the yellow **** on the filter housing and assumed that was a separator that I could catch a little fuel sample from but I didn't mess with it. Friend of mine told me that these are rock solid trucks unless you get some bad fuel (water or def in the tank) then its expensive fast. Is there ANY acceptable amount or expected amount of water to be release from the separator?

Old 03-14-2019, 03:40 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
You do know that in 2015 ford introduced the gen 2 6.7 which has a lot of fixes derived from problems with the gen 1. 6.7.

The gen 1 6.7 problems were not as common as the 6.4 and 6.0 problems but they were as catestrophic.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:58 PM
garrinchilders
New User
This is helpful. Was it a hard cutoff with the titled 2015 models or do they do like GM does and install the engine in some late 2014 models that were built before the 2015 date cutoff and begin to title them as 2015 models after certain month?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: