Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 10-speed

Old 03-04-2019, 12:37 PM
jimmy-six
Elder User
jimmy-six has a good reputation on FTE.jimmy-six has a good reputation on FTE.
2018 10-speed

I know this has been beaten to death here and I have read all of it. First some back ground: I've have 4 new Ford trucks since 1996, 3-150's and 1-250 diesel and every one has been a good to great truck for my use. None were 4WD's and all have towed the same enclosed 20' car trailer with the same load. All have driven over the same roads going racing so I feel the comparisons are close enough.
The diesel, an 04 6.0L, (AKA worst Ford ever) never failed me, never had a an injector problem, turbo problem, etc, obviously towed the grades from California to Utah with the least effort. The 96 5.7L was the weakest but also never failed at anything in 150,000 miles and went into gardener service and was retired at 300,000 miles. The 13 ECO Max tow was sold at 40K miles because it ran way too hot for me I installed EDGE monitors and could watch everything. Ford built these to save the engines in spite of our driving and I just could not live the the engine advance at zero causing coolant temp at 240-50.

Now for the 18, Yes I liked the 5-6 speed transmissions with the exception of no 1-1 in the 13, The first week I didn't know how to interpret the "hunting" of the 10 speed but figured my ez driving was most of the fault. It took most of the first year owning it that I figured it out in the morning. IT DOES NOT LIKE TO BE COLD. Since I figured that out I start my truck from in the house as I'm pouring coffee to leave, by the time I drive away 3-4 minutes it's a completely different truck than when it was new to me and I was not liking it. My ECT (engine coolant temp) on the monitor is usually up to 130 and the trans temp gauge shows a 1/16" blue line when I drive away. Maybe this will not be for you, but it's now peace of mind for me. I really like this truck and have all the trans selections to choose from makes it better.

We read a lot here and the F150forum.com but there are close to a million of these trucks out there owned by guys that must be happy or Ford would not sell so many. Anyway, my story and I'm pretty sure this one will be kept a lot longer than the last..Good Luck to all of us.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:00 PM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
AGREED!!!!! The 10-speed HATES being cold. I run a winter front below 20, and it seems to help, but even with a 20 mile commute to work, it just is slow to warm up.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:18 PM
mblayton
Elder User
mblayton is starting off with a positive reputation.
It doesn't like warm either, I live in Naples florida where most of the year it is 85 plus so it gets plenty warm when driving it and it has hard shifts and down shifts, other than this transmission issue I love the truck...incidentally my 53 year old Fairlane shifts smoother than this 2018 truck.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:14 AM
tree10
Senior User
tree10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hesitate to write this (you know the touch wood thing) but my 10 speed has been really good. I can remember about 4 rough shifts in the lower gears. It does whine in reverse much like a standard. I do drive like an old man. I also warm it up most times in the winter before driving (Canada)..

Old 05-12-2019, 01:45 PM
PupnDuck
Posting Guru
PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.
I bought one of the first 2017 Lariats with the 10 speed in the middle of the winter and you're right, the 1 to 3 and 3 to 5 short shifts bogged a cold engine and annoyed the heck out of me. Sure I could remote start it from the house and let it warm up and waste gas but I took the easy way out. Jump in on a frosty morning, fire it up, spend 15 seconds putting on my seat belt and the pop it into Sport mode. Shifts 1-2-3-4-5. After a couple of minutes of driving, pop it back into normal mode and no further problem.

Beyond that, it does occasionally make some strange clanking noises on a downshift, particularly when coasting down to a red light that then turns green but overall I've been pretty happy with it. Its kind of nice cruising at 70 in tenth gear and not even turning 2K.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:51 PM
GABAR
Postmaster
GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by tree10 View Post
I hesitate to write this (you know the touch wood thing) but my 10 speed has been really good. I can remember about 4 rough shifts in the lower gears. It does whine in reverse much like a standard. I do drive like an old man. I also warm it up most times in the winter before driving (Canada)..
Lol....you mean "knock on wood"?

Old 05-12-2019, 08:54 PM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by GABAR View Post
Lol....you mean "knock on wood"?
Depends in where you live. I've heard it both ways.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:29 AM
storage_man
Senior User
storage_man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm with Jimmy-six on this one. I think I have read every 10speed thread that has been written and I have to chuckle. I ask my self, "This guy is complaining because it shifts 1-3--5 etc" and say, what is the OP comparing it to ? or "The transmission "WHINES" ? Gee, I assume there are gears inside someplace, I jump into my truck, shut the radio, ac , roll the windows up and put in drive. I listen carefully. All I ever hear is road noise ? Then I hear "It is clunking all of the time". I ask really when your accelerating ? No Park to drive, Drive to reverse, etc. OK NTF !

I like Jimmy-six really only had 1 complaint about the transmission and it actually isn't a transmission problem, it was a computer problem. Mine centered on the lack of downshifting when the engine is below 500rpm ! Well Ford and my dealer fixed that problem with a new program. I'm happy as a bug in a rug and figure that I'll be dead before this truck goes away.

Happy motoring.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:41 PM
GABAR
Postmaster
GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by GlueGuy View Post
Depends in where you live. I've heard it both ways.
Lol....touching wood is a private matter but okay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: