1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pros and Cons of a Stock Straight Axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 08:34 PM
bhabben
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nothing i did to the front end improved the ride and handling more then new modern gas shocks.
Dale,
What brand and model of gas shock'll turn my freightshaker into a magic carpet?

My sacroiliac for some reason wants to know...
Brett

Old 10-01-2003, 08:37 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Finally, somebody understands why these old trucks are so much fun! I'm not old enough to consider it nostalgic(any vehicle we owned was PS), but to me, the ride is cool. Once I finally get to climb behind the wheel, I'll understand more of the bumpsteer effect(hard to understand when your in the passenger side).

After looking at the ifs installs, it seems you can put ifs in for around the same ball park, but it sure is alot more work! -4speed(yet another useless post from me)

Old 10-01-2003, 08:55 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I slide across the seat in my F350. The stiffer suspension, bigger frame and the 8ply 7.50 x 17 tires probably help it corner just about flat.

The 55 F100 I have out back was hacked at some years ago but it has stock suspension with later Mustang PS and a Cutlass tilt column. Also has relocated shock mounts, a stabilizer and is set up for a 351C. Not sure what Im going to do with it so I hope the whole series of threads plays out.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well Kenny, I think you probably highlighted the most important point of this whole exercise. Since value is in the eye of the beholder, each of the various suspension options has "features" or "characteristics", not "pros" or "cons".

I disrespectfully submit that whatever summary is produced refer to the various characteristics in a reasonably non-biased way. One good first step is to title them for what they are, characteristics, not what a given person (or even the majority) thinks of their value. My sons and I have completely different views on the value of their cars having a top speed of 175 MPH. I'm sure at least some of you can relate to that.

Our job is to present the information - we must let the reader determine whether something is a positive or negative characteristic of a given suspension option.

As far as the steering effort goes, I'm kind of looking forward to a little wrestling match again after all these years. I drove several trucks and other heavy vehicles in my formative years. A big part of the adventure was the driving environment - including all the things that have been mentioned in this thread. For me, they are all pros.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:31 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
"I disrespectfully submit that whatever summary is produced refer to the various characteristics in a reasonably non-biased way."

George

This probably belongs in the generic "What's up thread so I'll answer it there OK?"

Old 10-02-2003, 06:09 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 871 Likes on 495 Posts
Just a note on the f600 steering box. Yes it will fit and yes it will improve the amount of effort required to turn.

If anyone is going to use the f600 box in a 54-56 with a y block with the factory canister oil filter, they will need the oil filter adapter that relocates the oil filter at a 45 degree angle to gain clearance from the larger steering box. It will fit with out the adapter but there is a possibility of contact and it makes them a bear to change the oil filter without it.

A little off track but I thought very important info.

George can you verify this info (the adapter and such)

Kevin Bigwin

Old 10-02-2003, 09:49 AM
ddurant
Senior User
What brand and model of gas shock'll turn my freightshaker into a magic carpet?

bertt

I got the shocks from napa. my truck is a 49, i don't know if will get as much bang for the buck on a newer truck. all 4 are about $70.00, can't hurt too much to try.

Old 10-02-2003, 01:09 PM
BobJonesSpecial
Senior User
Good post Kenny! There really is something to the nostalgia thing, I agree.

I sold new and mostly used semi tractors for 40 years as a career that I retired from 2-years ago.

I remember in about 1995, after years of driving all the new whoopee-do air ride, super aerodynamic, wonder-wagons that are being produced today, I happened to trade for an old Peterbilt. It was about a 1963, I think. I had to go pick it up and drive it home to Denver, about 100 miles. It was an extended nose conventional with a screamin' V-12 (yes twelve cylinders, and a 2-stroke to boot) Jimmy diesel and straight stacks, and a 5-speed plus 4-speed auxilliary trans combo. No synchromesh whatsoever, just straight-cut gears. No power steering. By the time I got to Denver I was 'beat' and practically deaf. But I was 'BUZZED' for a week later, and just couldn't stop talking about it. It was a blast! BUT, I'm also glad the trip wasn't more than 100-miles!

Just a little 'extreme' nostalgia.

Good luck, and be safe.

BobJonesSpecial
Jim McNaul

Old 10-02-2003, 05:26 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Couldn't you just add or subtract (don't know which) shimms to change the preload on the stock box thus making it a big truck box?

Old 10-02-2003, 05:26 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 744 Likes on 267 Posts
Should Niolon's cost be broken down on a per swap basis or combined total cost?
Either way I'm sure it wil skew the figures

hey watch it.... I'll skew your figures !!!!!

john

really guys... this is my last front end swap.... honnest... no, really... I mean it.. trust me... wait... I'm going over to the Dakota thread now and do some research... later

Old 10-02-2003, 08:03 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is bump steer?

Old 10-02-2003, 08:23 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
57 Ford

You're liable to get a few definitions on this one. Here's my take. When you hit a bump, the compression of your suspension actually moves your steering linkage a bit. You hit a bump and the truck self steers itself. It is aggravated if your steering components are worn. It is hard to avoid completely with a straight axle. It's not a knock on old Ford trucks either, just a characteristic of straight axles. I drive a new Ford Super Duty at work with a straight axle. It will really throw you in the other lane now and then. They still haven't cured it. I'm not so sure a 2003 is significantly better than a 53, except the power steering helps you bring it back easier. A steering stabilizer cylinder cuts way down on it. That's what the offroaders do to keep it under control. You just have to be aware of what your driving and be alert on rough roads.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:41 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks fenders,
Now I know what you are talking about. My 77 4x4 is real bad for this and it will take you into the next lane. And even worse it goes left. I hardly can feel it on the 57 if at all. Learn something new every day.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:05 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
57 Ford

At work I have about 100 military trucks with straight axles. 90 of them probably bumpsteer to some degree. Most have low miles. There are a ton of things that are involved in the equation. Tire condition, front end alignment, excessive gear lash in the steering box. There are probably stockers on this forum reading this and thinking "My truck don't do that ever" The rest are shaking there heads up and down sayin "yup". Proper rebuild will get most if it out if you got it.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok guys, nobody laugh, i have been all over the aerostar post, and i do think it is a good system. but, i also have a truck, again nobody laugh, with the stock straight axel. it is a 1961 econoline pickup. it drives great, rides like a cadi...., uhhhhh, lincoln, and i wouldnt change it for the world! no the truck is not stock, it stops great and the only bumpsteer i notice is when i hit a bump to fast and my head hits the roof. i have driven it several thousand miles and am not scared to take my 2 year old grand daughter out for a drive at highway speed. if there is a reason to change it, change it! if there is not a good reason, dont change it! rebuild it, it has run this long, it will run at least that much longer.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of a Stock Straight Axle