Chip or Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 04:04 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip or Headers?

So far my Ranger has seen: Gibson Cat-Back, 180 degree stat, and a rerouted KKM intake.
I can come up with enough ca$h to get either headers or a Diablo Chip but not both, maybe eventually both but I gotta help pay for part of my wedding coming up in May. I am wondering what would be the best buy for what I already have. I thoucht since the rest of my intake/exhaust is opened up already that headers would be a good next step, but I really want a Diablo 3-stage chip. I know that the Diablo will add noticeable power but what do you think is my better buy. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2003, 04:34 PM
zanny
Senior User
First, get all your mods done, before you get married. Once your married, you no longer have any money, to call your own. The wife will have it all. And you will have to resort to, getting mods covertly and in the cover of the night.
I would get the headers and any other mods you want. That way you can customize your chip to your mods.
zanny

Old 09-30-2003, 07:55 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Here you go don't do either, have all your wedding gifts liquidated and get a BBK supercharger for that 4.0. I guess that would be slightly off budget but nice nonetheless. Just messing around, go with the headers they should give you an initial gain close to if you had the chip, wait and figure out what your gonna as far as total upgrades before you get the chip, you may end up needing a custom one as mentioned. There are quite a few options for your 4.0. In reality you would probably get about the same hp gain from either. Good luck, with your truck and marriage (the old saying the first year is the worse is pretty accurate, don't care what you think things will change I thought different, wrong.ha ha), all well it happens to everyone. Later

Last edited by jwtaylor; 09-30-2003 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:54 PM
drewcoolness99
Elder User
or register at summit racing

Old 09-30-2003, 09:29 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Believe me, I am working hard to get what I can done before the wedding, I think I'll register at Cabela's before Summit though, she would have a bit more understanding of that, she just doesn't understand my fascination with my truck. But she lets me go huntin and fishin almost as much as I want, lets just hope things stay this way. AS far as adding mods, I just have to convince her that they will improve my mileage and then it will be ok.
Good point about being able to have a chip tuned for mods instead of having to reburn. Not sure if the mild mods that I"m having done would require a custom program. I suppose that it would be a good idea to get high flow cats if I get the headers. Right now they are hollow but they are narrow where the pre cat meets thr cat. Also, how much work is it going to be to put headers in. If it's gonna take a shop to do it then I probably wouldn't be able to spare the extra expense. THanks guys for the input.

Old 10-01-2003, 06:45 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
I cannot say as to how headers go on a v6, but I know this on a v8 on a clean old motor with no accessories it can sometimes get tricky manuvering around the pipes so you should expect it to be a challenge just not impossible. More likely than not you can do it yourself, if the mechanic can do it so can you, good luck. FYI superchargers can actually increse mpg, you could bring that up to your future wife, haha, just messing around, later

Old 10-01-2003, 11:33 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
my cousin put headers on his 94 ranger 4.0 and they added good gains. really woke up that motor. he didnt have any problem installing them either.

later

Old 10-01-2003, 06:28 PM
zanny
Senior User
Start dropping hints, about the chip, to your future in-laws.
I think a new chip would be a perfect wedding present.
Just tell them, you need a properly functioning truck, for the health and safety of your new bride.
zanny

Old 10-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My buddy got married and the way he acquired parts was to get drunk and call Summit. When the parts showed up on his doorstep he would say "Honey, I don't know where these parts came from but they fit the truck so I'm gonna keep em". It doesn't work anymore. I honestly don't think he remembers ordering them. I would get the headers and when you have the chip burnt you can have it burnt for your setup.

Old 10-04-2003, 04:00 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, I am going to stick with the crowd here. Get a high quality set of headers, then burn a chip in later for your modifications. Any brands you are looking at? I love my Bassani ceramic coated headers, and they helped my motor perk right up!

Rich