Notices
Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Progress on the 63 C850

Old 02-28-2019, 08:52 AM
Hillbillysuv
Freshman User
Hillbillysuv is starting off with a positive reputation.
Progress on the 63 C850

First of all. Thanks to everyone for the help I got back when I first came here. I know a lot of people think it's weird to name vehicles, but my wife dubbed this one "Winston" and it sorta fits.Also it's more fun to refer to it as Winston than "the C850". So Winston it is. We also have a forklift named "Tom", but that's another story.

Anyway I got a crash course in air brakes and finally got around to running all new lines to the rear service brakes this past weekend. After accidentally plugging the vent for the parking brake (and nearly causing the truck to roll down the drive into the forklift) I finally got it figured out. It stops pretty well but still pulls to the right even with the front brakes adjusted. Since the adjuster is bottomed out on the left side, I suspect that the pads on that side are done. I need to see about getting those relined.
The alternator died somewhere along the way so I bodged a gm one wire onto it as a temporary solution. Mine is pretty rough so I'm hoping that the one on the parts truck Destroked is selling me is a better candidate for a rebuild. Unfortunately Kentucky has been composed almost entirely of mud for the last several months so getting it out will have to wait until dryer weather.

As it is I've been driving it around just to get the feel of it. Hopefully by this summer I'll get some hitches installed and start hauling toys.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:03 PM
85e150six4mtod
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
Serving suggestion for when you are working on or near the brakes: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 02-28-2019, 09:07 PM
third66go
Freshman User
third66go is starting off with a positive reputation.
Some of those '60s front axles used a type of slack adjuster that does run out of adjustment, unlike other manual slacks...
Have you tried pulling the adjuster off the camshaft and moving it one tooth (or more) "tighter" on the splines? Even with worn out linings, you should still be able to make
something rub on the drum; jack it up, tighten til it rubs, then back off just a tad. If you do get new linings, you will probably have to re-index both of them anyway.
New manual adjusters do away with all that, but they are about 4 times as much $$$ as a "normal" one. Just say old Ford 47-spline adjuster and parts guys will laugh!
Did the "exhaust" port on the parking brake valve get vented or connected?
Good luck - look out for that forklift

Old 02-28-2019, 09:36 PM
Tenwheeler
Senior User
Tenwheeler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Really nice looking truck! Look forward to more pictures.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:54 PM
Hillbillysuv
Freshman User
Originally Posted by third66go View Post
Some of those '60s front axles used a type of slack adjuster that does run out of adjustment, unlike other manual slacks...
Have you tried pulling the adjuster off the camshaft and moving it one tooth (or more) "tighter" on the splines? Even with worn out linings, you should still be able to make
something rub on the drum; jack it up, tighten til it rubs, then back off just a tad. If you do get new linings, you will probably have to re-index both of them anyway.
New manual adjusters do away with all that, but they are about 4 times as much $$$ as a "normal" one. Just say old Ford 47-spline adjuster and parts guys will laugh!
Did the "exhaust" port on the parking brake valve get vented or connected?
Good luck - look out for that forklift
What I thought was just a splitter mounted on the frame turned out to be some weird small air relay. It only has one air line from the parking brake button in the cab and tow lines going to the brake chambers. The vent port on the bottom had a barbed nipple threaded into it with what I later realized was the original service brake line just barely shoved onto it. When I traced the mystery hose up past the engine, I opted to use it to help pull the new line. I removed the barbed nipple and capped that #[email protected]! vent port. I only realized something was wrong when I took it out of gear, to let it idle and build air pressure. I released the parking brake to listen for leaks then set it again. That’s when I realized that the forklift was closer than it had been a minute ago. I was slowly rolling down the driveway. I stuck it in gear and shut it off, then went in search of some wheel chocks, which I should have been using from the start. It took me a while to figure out why the dang parking wouldn’t work. The air pressure to them wouldn't go away unless I cracked a fitting back at the air chambers.When I removed the cap I’d replaced the barbed nipple with it vented air like it was supposed to. I used to be in industrial automation and I've worked on some goofy pneumatic stuff but this is a new one on me. Live and learn. I'll get one of those sintered bronze air mufflers to thread into that vent port to keep the grit out.
Thanks for for the tip on the front brakes. I never thought about them being adjusted like that. I’ll have to check that out.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:15 PM
Hillbillysuv
Freshman User

HA! I probably made it sound more exciting than it was. Even so I grabbed some 4x4 posts to prevent a repeat. I might grab something like that to keep on hand. I had a couple of hooks on my old wrecker to chain the chocks to when winching anything really heavy. It would pick the front end off the ground before scooting backward. The truck itself was a bit of a pig, but I miss that hydraulic winch. Whenever I used it, something moved. It was way overpowered for the truck it was mounted to.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:20 AM
Hillbillysuv
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tenwheeler View Post
Really nice looking truck! Look forward to more pictures.
Thanks. Unfortunately there is a reason why most of my pictures are from 20ft away. Someone did an "ok" paint job on it at one point it's cracking in places. The truck itself is in pretty good shape for being a 63 though.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:45 PM
Hillbillysuv
Freshman User
Made a bit more progress. The brakes are all adjusted and working well.

Thanks to a post by NumbersDummy in an old thread about c series shifters I was able to find a NOS shift collar and trunnions pins. It took longer to get the ujoint under the shifter loose than anything else.

I can now hit whatever gear Iím aiming for. It makes it a LOT easier to drive. Iíve still got some left over trunnion pins and the old collar if anyone is interested.
It should be relatively simple to drill out the holes and insert a bushing that would outlast the stock setup.

New high output alternator shoulc should be here later this week. Iím eventually going to be putting on an amber light bar for towing an a few other power hungry goodies. The extra amperage will help. Iím also mounting a big under bed box with room for two batteries. Might as well go with the dual battery setup and rewire the charging system with all new cable while iím at it.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:05 PM
SVO2SCJ
New User
SVO2SCJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trade some parts!

Hi
I had mentioned I another thread that I bought a NOS Ford master cylinder rebuild kit that isnt for my truck

IF you want a 1 3/4 bore kit (for the boot and pins)
Send me your address will ship so you can see have!

MARK

Old 04-29-2019, 06:40 PM
Hillbillysuv
Freshman User
Thanks for the kind offer, but my 63 has air brakes. Depending on what happens with the one I'm buying from Destroked I may hit you up for it later though.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 PM
SVO2SCJ
New User
Can we talk about your shifter rebuild?

Hi
Can we talk about your shifter rebuild???
Hope you will give me a call 5178617630

NOT sure if I will need pins - but my is STICKY and "vague" for the gate IMO

MARK

Old 05-11-2019, 07:39 PM
Hillbillysuv
Freshman User
I had a very pleasant conversation with SVO2CJ this morning. Always a pleasure to gab with a fellow ford addict.

Looks like his truck has the same shifter issue I just fixed with mine.

Check your trunnion pins gentlemen.

Also today was a productive day. I've been meaning to put all new belts on this beast and install my new alternator. I picked up a later model 1 wire 145 amp alternator with the right housing.
Unfortunately the shaft was longer and larger in diameter. Thankfully tractor supply had a wide groove pulley that happened to fit.

While I was in there I discovered the source of my low/mid rpm vibration.

See the shadow where the fan has shifted to one side?

At first I thought it might be the way the blade was turned when it was painted but upon closer inspection...

Ford did not make this thing easy to get out. I ultimately had to remove the fan shroud which required taping a 7/16 wrench to a piece of threaded rod in order to reach the bottom nuts on the fan shroud. Even then it put up a fight. I got called into work for a few hours but I managed to get everything back together, minus the fan and took it for a short spin down the street.

I was shocked at just how much smoother and quieter it is now. and I can actually hit all the gears on the first try. I begin to see why these things were so popular back in the day.

I didn't have time to install them but I've picked up a couple large electric radiator fans that should more than do the job now that I've got an alternator big enough to drive them.

The next project is installing an under bed box and tidy up the wiring harness.

After that it's time to pay a visit to the welding shop and get a giant back bumper and a hitch.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:28 PM
SVO2SCJ
New User
Yes WE are working on cars

YES - nice talk "we are working on cars"!

MARK
p.S. going to guess these tool boxes are too big!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.