Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Upgrades

Old 03-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Fedele33
New User
Fedele33 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post

Well, camping season is almost here (already here for us, we are 600 miles from home in the TT right now! ) so go ahead and make a trip with the 34"s and 3.73s to see how you like that new 3.47 effective ratio. I pulled our old 9,500lb TH with our stock V-10 with the stock 31.6" tire's and a set of 32"s and it was a dog and would downshift if it ran over a shadow. But you may have a different experience with your combination, so give it a trip to decide, you won't hurt it but don't expect the same level of towing performance from it now, it seemed like you were not happy with how it pulled the inclines in the past, it should suffer even more there now. With those new 34"s and new 4.88 gears it should be a much better tow rig with a 4.54 effective ratio, that's a step deeper than mine at 4.39 effective and I'm very happy with how my 6.8 handles the 11,300 lbs TT.
How is you mpg while towing with those gears? I know stock with 3.73 I get 8 maybe 9 mpg and I also live in flat northeast Ohio. And what are your rpms at?

Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Fedele33 View Post

How is you mpg while towing with those gears? I know stock with 3.73 I get 8 maybe 9 mpg and I also live in flat northeast Ohio. And what are your rpms at?

Most of our towing trips are longer highway trips and there we typically see 8 to 9 MPG towing, with a best ever of 9.5 over a 420 mile tow home from Niagara Falls. On the trip to TN last Friday I wasn't as careful as I normally am with my throttle management (allowed it to downshift more climbing grades than I typically do) and in the cold, snow and rain saw 7.45 MPG over the 600 mile tow through the mountains of MD, VA and TN. Unloaded coming home from Columbus OH last August I set the cruise at 65 MPH and got 14.5 MPG over that 430 miles trip.
I don't have my notebook with all of my data in it for the RPMs at various speeds with the different tire and gear combinations with me on this trip, but a search under my name with "RPMs" should turn up that info. It doesn't rev as high as most folks assume, don't fear the gear!

Old 03-11-2019, 03:05 PM
Fedele33
New User
One more question how much does a gear change usually cost?

Old 03-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Fedele33
New User
And where痴 the best place to buy these gear sets cause I have a 4wd. I知 think about going with the 4.56 gears

Old 03-11-2019, 04:10 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
try Randy痴 Ring and Pinion, their Yukon house brand is widely reconized as a quality product.

about $1000 per axle is a reasonable estimate

Old 03-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Fedele33
New User
Is the 1000 per axle just parts or labor too? Cause I plan on doing it with my father in-law he痴 a mechanic.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:17 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Depends if you need bearings, gear $300, bearings $450

Old 03-15-2019, 05:37 PM
Fedele33
New User

This is my end result! V code springs in the front add a leaf in the rear (which so far I知 very pleased with) to level it out and some platinum f250 20 in wheels with 34 in tire. Put Bilsteins all the way around. The only issue I知 having now even after an alignment is bad wondering and steering sticking and not returning to center I have to force it back. Have all new ball joints as well as front hubs.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
With new ball joints, you will sometimes have those "sticking" steering issues while the new, tight ball joints are broke in.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fedele33 View Post
Put Bilsteins all the way around.

The only issue I知 having now even after an alignment is bad wondering .
1. which model Bilsteins ?

2. if you want to post your before and after alignment specs I can likely sort out the wander.

3. what PSI are your tires set at ?
4. what size are your tires ?

Old 03-16-2019, 03:12 PM
Fedele33
New User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
1. which model Bilsteins ?

2. if you want to post your before and after alignment specs I can likely sort out the wander.

3. what PSI are your tires set at ?
4. what size are your tires ?
I got the 5100 series for 0-3 in lift I believe and they feel great. My tire are 34 in and they池e set at 55 psi back and 45 psi front. I think I narrowed down the problem to the ball joints not being correctly torqued and in the right order causing binding in the Knucle so I guess I値l tear her back down and retorque the correct way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.