Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:42 PM
Screamingbear
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Used 5er Warrenty ?

Hello All,
I am about to take the plunge.
I have been pulling Bumper Pull Travel Trailers for years.
I ran into a great deal on a very lightly used 5er, that is too good to pass on. It looks like it has never been used.
It is a 2017 Flagstaff 8529rlbs
I will be signing the papers this Thursday, and I know they will be trying to sell me a warranty on it.
Do I go for the warranty, or take my chances, and be self insured ?
I know there are plenty of very experienced 5er folks on this forum, can you please offer some advice ?
Thanks in advance.

By the way, my truck (See signature for truck) did not have the 5th wheel prep package so I am installing a B&W turnover Goose Neck hitch tomorrow, and I purchased a Andersen Ultimate 2 fifth wheel hitch.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:55 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
During my last purchase (July) experience the dealer pushed various levels of warranties, I passed on most items but I did go for some areas that I thought might be prone to troubles PROVIDED they were reasonably priced.
Twice now I've had my 5th back and at least some of the items have been free or discounted.

The real stupid part is I don't remember the specifics of what I did get - but their computers never forget.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:34 PM
Screamingbear
Tuned
Andersen

Hello Army RET,

How do you like the Andersen Ultimate ?

Old 02-22-2019, 10:06 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure of whats what because with my current setup I changed three things simultaneously:

In a nutshell I like the Anderson - but in fairness I can't separate which contribute the most to my better pull (I now have the Anderson hitch, a MORryde pin box AND a dually) VS. my previous economy hitch when connected to a solid pin box and a SRW truck.

Oops, make that four changes, I also changed the load. Previously I had a 32' 10K loaded fifth, now I have a 42' 16K load.

So I guess I can't fairly evaluate any single item as being the one 'biggest' thing.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:27 AM
lariatbob
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess it would depend a lot on how handy you are. Can you fix most of the usual "rv problems" yourself? How much electronics does this have and can you get parts if you needed?
Personally I have found aftermarket warranties to be a money grab. The few problems I might have tried to use the warranty on were declined for one reason or another.
In my opinion and my experience I would rather use my money if and as needed and not throw it away for a iffy "warranty".
Which ever way you decide, best of luck with the new fiver. Post pictures when you get it.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:15 AM
Screamingbear
Tuned
Originally Posted by lariatbob
I guess it would depend a lot on how handy you are. Can you fix most of the usual "rv problems" yourself? How much electronics does this have and can you get parts if you needed?
Personally I have found aftermarket warranties to be a money grab. The few problems I might have tried to use the warranty on were declined for one reason or another.
In my opinion and my experience I would rather use my money if and as needed and not throw it away for a iffy "warranty".
Which ever way you decide, best of luck with the new fiver. Post pictures when you get it.
Thanks Lariat,

That is the way I am leaning.
I can fix most anything, the only thing I was really concerned about is if something major dies beyond repair and needs replaced, however my research indicates that most major issues that do occur as a result of defects happens in the first two years or so.

Thanks for your reply

Old 02-23-2019, 10:38 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
I would get the slides warranted and all appliances for at least a year.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:03 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 908 Likes on 328 Posts
Just read the fine print of what is actually covered. My buddy with a cedar creek thought he purchased a 5yr bumper to bumper 3rd party warranty, only to find out that it covered appliances only. Nothing structural. Leaky black/gray valves were not covered to his surprise.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:19 AM
mptjelgin
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
To be blunt, RV warranty companies are in the business of taking your money, and then trying their best to avoid paying claims. Warranty's are a huge profit item for both dealers and the warranty companies themselves. The odds are very good that they'll keep more or your money than they pay out. I know folks who have gotten repairs paid for promptly with their RV warranty, but just as many who got the run-around and got valid claims denied for a variety of reasons. If you do consider a warranty read it very, very carefully.

If you are at all handy you can fix most everything that will go wrong with an RV. If not, then decide how big a hit a large repair would be to your pocketbook. I've been RV'ing for over 20 years and full-time for over 9 years, and have yet to take an RV back into the shop for work. Even something like a slide is not that complex if you take the time to understand it. I replaced the slide seal on my big fifth wheel last year. All it took was a ladder, a screwdriver, and some time.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:24 AM
Drisean
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aren't all insurers money grabber? Of course, otherwise, they'd be bankrupted soon. Insurance companies are one of the richest industries. They employ highly paid statisticians to calculate the risk of having to pay warranty or insurance money. They calculate the probability of something to fail or to break, and if the risk that it breaks is too high: No insurance. If there's a high chance, something breaks, and they still want to offer insurance, then they add exclusions. Over the years, the insurer will learn what to insure and what not.
You can easily see that yourself when you compare the rates for cars of one insurer. Cars and drivers that are considered being high risk, pay more. In truth, insurance companies are banks. You pay into "your bank account" and may get money back. If you did that on your own, you might be better off.

That translates easily into which insurance you should buy. Buy insurances of things you can't fix or you can't replace easily by yourself. Then take for the rest the money you'd pay for your warranty or insurance and save it.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:40 AM
mptjelgin
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Drisean
That translates easily into which insurance you should buy. Buy insurances of things you can't fix or you can't replace easily by yourself. Then take for the rest the money you'd pay for your warranty or insurance and save it.
I would suggest an even more conservative approach. Buy a warranty only if paying out of pocket for an unexpected repair would create an immediate financial hardship (i.e. having to borrow money, credit card, etc.) to pay for the repair. Many of us "self insure", which is to say that we have enough savings to pay for any conceivable repair. In the long run it is cheaper. But if your A/C or water heater crapping out would put you seriously into the hole, then paying a fixed amount up front (buying the warranty) is a hedge against an unexpected expense down the road.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I purchased an extended warranty when we bought our rig. We had a hydraulic pump fail (hydraulic slides and landing gear) and the cost was more than justified by that one repair. But as mentioned before read the fine print. good luck.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:15 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
I would be quite leery of any warranty that doesn't come from a brand you recognize. I had an extended warranty on a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. The warranty company went bankrupt before the OEM warranty was expired. Check the balance sheet of the insurance company before you buy their warranty.

Good Sam Club sells an RV warranty also: https://www.goodsamesp.com

Old 02-26-2019, 10:18 PM
Edd505
More Turbo
Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Screamingbear
Thanks Lariat,

That is the way I am leaning.
I can fix most anything, the only thing I was really concerned about is if something major dies beyond repair and needs replaced, however my research indicates that most major issues that do occur as a result of defects happens in the first two years or so.

Thanks for your reply
I think you just answered the question yourself. If you can do basic wiring, plumbing, trouble shoot electric, & replace parts. Check online price for a fridge, stove. water heater, A/C, put the $$ in a what if it breaks account. You will not be the first to have what ever the issue maybe. YouTube will be your friend along with the different forums.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:25 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
In all the years we have owned campers of all persuasions including motor homes we have not had enough problems in total to cover the cost of a single warranty and speaking as a tech, dealing with warranty companies is so bad I normally refused to work with them. I used to tell folks if you were going to go with a warranty make sure you have a tech who knows how to talk their lingo because they will do everything possible to beat you out of your claim.

Maintain your rig and you will be amazed how well it holds up and how little it costs to repair is my two cents.

Quick Reply: Used 5er Warrenty ?