1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Urethane Windshield Sealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 07:48 AM
MRStace84
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urethane Windshield Sealer

I am wanting to do some re sealing around the windshield on my 84. I believe it has been leaking as the floor boards (both sides) are wet when it rains, and I can feel dampness on the firewall insualtion right behind the brake pedal. Do autoparts stores carry an appropriate sealer, or do you have to go to a glass shop to get it. I have read that urethane is the best to use.

Thanks.

Old 09-30-2003, 10:45 PM
GypsyR
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought some at NAPA. They had "Window weld" for installation of glass, or "window seal" for sealing leaks. Side by side in similar caulking gun tubes. I've seen the regular stuff for glass replacement at most auto parts stores but I recommend the sealer instead. Worked for me on a windshield I tried various stuff unsuccessfully for 6 months. This stuff is very runny and takes like a couple of weeks to really set up. I swear by it though. Check it out, if you read the label you'll know you've got the right stuff when it says "not for glass replacement" (or something like that) to differentiate it from the regular stuff.

Old 10-01-2003, 10:13 AM
javi2001
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keeping in mind your trucks is 84, in my own experience is better remove windshield and clean it all and cab frame, then install it using uretane, wait at least 2 hours to move your truck and be sure it is in a flat area before install windshield or it can break when drive off road.

Regards;

Old 10-02-2003, 10:37 AM
MRStace84
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would remove the whole windshield, but with my inexperience with auto glass. I am sure that I would break it. So, for the time being I am just going to attempt to seal around it by removing the modling. I did find some 3M sealer at my local NAPA store.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:17 PM
GypsyR
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you mentioned it I found 1/2 a tube in the garage that I had forgotten about. It seems to have turned into rubber,
"3M Windo-Weld Resealer" is the stuff.