Gas Stops - Nervous

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 09:53 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Altoidfishfins
Being a Diesel, am I correct in understanding that at highway truck stops, I could refuel at the same lanes that the big boys (semis) do? That should leave plenty of room for a pickup with a Travel Trailer to maneuver, one would think.
Correct. There are two things different about fueling at a truck island vs the auto pumps.

The pumps will not accept standard credit cards at the pump. You will need to walk inside to the register that handles the truck side pumps and have the cashier pre-authorize the purchase for an amount greater than you think the truck will take to fill it up. Once you finish pumping and hang up the pump your credit card will be processed for that amount. You then need to go back inside and collect your receipt, it will be waiting on a shelf/bin with the corresponding pump number you used.

It's proper etiquette to pull forward after pumping your fuel so the rig behind you can pull up to the pump and begin pumping while you go back inside.

I also chose the lane that is being used by other pick up trucks with trailers rather than get in line behind a semi off possible.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:36 AM
Altoidfishfins
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THat's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.
Thanks.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:15 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,520 Likes on 1,085 Posts
Pilot flying J can give you a RV advantage card so you can use the truck lanes or what some of us have done, apply with TSD logistics for one of their cards that you can fill up anywhere that accepts the EFS, which is pretty much every truck stop.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:10 AM
Axleman27
New User
Originally Posted by senix
Pilot flying J can give you a RV advantage card so you can use the truck lanes or what some of us have done, apply with TSD logistics for one of their cards that you can fill up anywhere that accepts the EFS, which is pretty much every truck stop.
​​​​​​
The TSD EFS card is the bomb. We use it all the time now.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:28 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,048 Likes on 2,835 Posts
The diesel price at the big rig pumps has two levels: cash and credit. Credit is going to cost a lot more and if you can get a card for that brand, the RV PLus card through Good Sam Club, or the TSD card mentioned above you'll pay a lot less than the credit price and perhaps better than the cash price.

Despite the higher price for credit at the big rig pumps, it's a lot less money than repairing body damage from trying to squeeze a truck/trailer into regular car islands.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:42 PM
Altoidfishfins
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HRTKD
The diesel price at the big rig pumps has two levels: cash and credit. Credit is going to cost a lot more and if you can get a card for that brand, the RV PLus card through Good Sam Club, or the TSD card mentioned above you'll pay a lot less than the credit price and perhaps better than the cash price.

Despite the higher price for credit at the big rig pumps, it's a lot less money than repairing body damage from trying to squeeze a truck/trailer into regular car islands.
Excellent point, and certainly cheaper than damaging someone else's property, be it motor vehicle, store front or fuel island.

More sound advice from the voices of experience.

Will probably create a separate bank account just for fuel. Once created, it can be linked to the TSD card and dedicated for fuel expense. According to the web site, an e-mailed statement is sent for each purchase so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out the balance at any given time and recharge the dedicated account as needed. It should also make tracking fuel costs a piece of cake.
Yeah I'm liking this already.

Thanks guys!

Old 01-12-2020, 07:28 AM
WE3ZS
Received 920 Likes on 620 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD

Squeezing a truck and trailer combo into regular car islands is all that us gas rig drivers do.
Our EX and Jayco 338RETS measure 61' from bumper to bumper, that's longer than most duallies and large fifth wheels. As I've said here a few times, it's really no big deal if you look for pump islands that are parallel to the storefront and exercise a degree of patience and care. We have logged over 42K towing miles like this and with a 2V V-10 that's a lot of gas stops!

Old 01-12-2020, 11:26 AM
DaveZX
Mountain Pass
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Gas stops

I think gas stops ARE a big deal, so much so that I wrote to Pilot/Flying J and explained the difficulty. They personally called me to discuss the issue.

I have towed 37,000 miles and just returned from a trip across the US and into Canada. Numerous times I have had to back out of stations onto main roads because there was not enough room to circle the gas islands. Cars are often rude and cut you off when you're backing up.

Many times out West, you don't have many options. Yes. Before you turn in, you stop and analyze the station layout. It's stressful for us.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:40 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,048 Likes on 2,835 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Squeezing a truck and trailer combo into regular car islands is all that us gas rig drivers do.
Our EX and Jayco 338RETS measure 61' from bumper to bumper, that's longer than most duallies and large fifth wheels. As I've said here a few times, it's really no big deal if you look for pump islands that are parallel to the storefront and exercise a degree of patience and care. We have logged over 42K towing miles like this and with a 2V V-10 that's a lot of gas stops!
No doubt it CAN be done. I've planned my stops for an entire trip ahead of time by using Google Maps satellite views just to make sure the approach and exit for the pump is good. If I had a gas engine I would have to be doing that every time. As long as I know there are truck stops at decent intervals I relax my planning a bit and just hit the big rig islands.

Originally Posted by DaveZX
I think gas stops ARE a big deal, so much so that I wrote to Pilot/Flying J and explained the difficulty. They personally called me to discuss the issue.

I have towed 37,000 miles and just returned from a trip across the US and into Canada. Numerous times I have had to back out of stations onto main roads because there was not enough room to circle the gas islands. Cars are often rude and cut you off when you're backing up.

Many times out West, you don't have many options. Yes. Before you turn in, you stop and analyze the station layout. It's stressful for us.
I've provided feedback to Flying J/Pilot also. When it was positive I got an online response. Negative feedback saw no response. My wife prefers Flying J so we'll keep using them.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:00 AM
WE3ZS
Received 920 Likes on 620 Posts
All of my clean living over the years must have resulted in my just being lucky. I have never planned out a fuel stop in advance, other than consulting gasbuddy to see where the cheapest top tier (or corn free) gas was locally. I have had to back out of 2 stations over the years as there just wasn't enough room to swing through, but my Bride is an excellent spotter so it wasn't very dramatic. Here in the crowded East you will typically have your pick from several stations at or near most Interstate Highway exits, I guess once we have more time for Western exploration choices may thin out some and require a bit of planning.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:07 AM
DaveZX
Mountain Pass
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Gas stops

You must live clean. I guess I need to step it up a bit. 😊

If you're 50 feet long or more, you will have problems circling gas pump islands towing a 37 ft 5th wheel. Add about 20 customer cars to the mix. I even had to back out of an RV pump island.

I estimate that 40 percent of Pilot/Flying J stations are difficult. Loves are newer and have more space, but I prefer stopping at Pilot/Flying j.