6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Stock Garrett vs Pmax

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 04:28 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Stock Garrett vs Pmax

this question is to those that have done the swap to the Garrett Pmax turbos... Since i Melted my stock one im now trying to decide if i should stick with the stock one or go to the Pmax... i was wanting to hear what you people that are running them feel the Advantages and Disadvantages are to both of them...

My stock turbo when i had rebuilt it previously i installed a billet compressor wheel.. which gained me some additional PSI and seemed like quicker boost response (but cant say for sure on the response since it was having sticking vane problems when i bought the truck but didnt know that was the problem till i ended up with no power at all).. figured id put one in the pmax too if i bought one... and seems like prior to this one freezing up i was told im maxing the turbo out by the amount of black smoke i make at WOT.... (i dont have a coal tune either... just a canned street tune)... highest ive gotten the turbo to was about 36/37 PSI at WOT... both empty and towing that was the highest i got...

The truck is mostly a DD but occasionally hauls heavy loads in the bed and sometimes pulls a 7'x16' cargo trailer (yeah i know not a big trailer for a diesel but i over load it at times too lol).. The only 3 downsides ive heard to going to the PMAX are, slower throttle response when pulling trailers (supposedly not noticed when empty), you need special tuning for the pmax, and the higher cost of the turbo itself... the way i understand it the pressure wouldnt really change just the volume thats delivered to the cylinders would due to the larger compressor wheel.. thats about the only real things ive heard for the pmax...

with the stock one i could keep my current tunes and it would just drop back in (after i change the compressor wheel to the billet one) and the price would be much cheaper than the pmax.... so can yall help me figure out the advantages and disadvantages to both...

ohh the only other thing i know concerning the Pmax is that they have the same drawback as the stock one (the Vane sticking part)..

Old 02-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Really?? not even one reply yet??

Old 02-05-2019, 02:18 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
I could reply but I have no experience with the Powermax turbo or billet wheels

Old 02-05-2019, 02:21 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
any other recommendations than the pmax?? pmax was the only other drop in that i knew of where i wouldnt have to change the up-pipes again

Old 02-05-2019, 02:24 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
From what I’ve seen here and other forums I think your best bet would be to call KC Turbos. That’s who I’ll be getting in touch with when I need (or want) a new turbo.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
found a bunch of videos with the 10 blade turbines sounds about like my 04(03 build) but cant find any with the supposed quieter 13 blade impellers... (just curious to see what they sounded like)

Old 02-05-2019, 03:31 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
found a bunch of videos with the 10 blade turbines sounds about like my 04(03 build) but cant find any with the supposed quieter 13 blade impellers... (just curious to see what they sounded like)
You won't find any unless you go with either KC turbo or one of the others, even then, they typically use the 10 blade.

You're studded, so not much of a concern with the cylinder pressures, but if it were me I'd stick to a stock turbo like what you have. If you really want/need an upgrade, go for the KC 61 MM turbo. It's not overkill and should accomplish what you need it to nicely.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:40 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
You won't find any unless you go with either KC turbo or one of the others, even then, they typically use the 10 blade.

You're studded, so not much of a concern with the cylinder pressures, but if it were me I'd stick to a stock turbo like what you have. If you really want/need an upgrade, go for the KC 61 MM turbo. It's not overkill and should accomplish what you need it to nicely.
it was their 13 blade i was looking for in the videos... their site says they come standard with the 13 blade unless you request the 10 blade... figured with it being "standard" theyre be more videos of them than the 10 blade... but all the videos i found said they were running the 10 blade... i dont mind the whistle.. was just curious to see what the 13 sounded like in comparison..

Old 02-05-2019, 04:08 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
A much quieter whistle. I don’t know if I’d say TOO quiet, but almost

Old 02-05-2019, 06:10 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
2004 plus turbines are tame is the best way to put it, since you have a 2003 engine, it means you have a 2003 cam that was designed to support the air flow that turbo produces. You could run the 13 blade, but unless it's from a 2004 turbo, you'd hurt performance and overwork the turbo some. The 10 blade is a larger turbine and 59 mm compressor designed to support the engine and the power it produces.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:52 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel

I think Raz gave you some good advice here, Shawn. I don't think you'll be happy with the Pmax. KC Charlie can give you a great recommendation if you shoot him an email. What he used to call the stage 1.5 is a great compromise of stock and "Pmax" if you tow at all. FICM tuning helps a bunch for any turbo change and I bet you already have that?

Old 02-06-2019, 10:30 AM
Amicus
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed the Pmax a few months ago on a fairly stock truck. Its noisy but I like it. My only complaint would be lag. There seems to be more lag with this turbo than with oem. Not sure why. Once it kicks in its impressive to me. I have a sxt tuner with TSD tunes and am happy with it. The wheel is whatever came with the Pmax.

Gilbert

Old 02-06-2019, 10:46 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Amicus
I installed the Pmax a few months ago on a fairly stock truck. Its noisy but I like it. My only complaint would be lag. There seems to be more lag with this turbo than with oem. Not sure why. Once it kicks in its impressive to me. I have a sxt tuner with TSD tunes and am happy with it. The wheel is whatever came with the Pmax.

Gilbert
It’s laggy because it’s a larger turbo on a stock truck. A billet wheel will help spool up faster but it won’t be like an ‘03 turbo, not even close but the ‘03 is small. Try some custom Gearhead tunes and it will wake it up.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:01 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
it was their 13 blade i was looking for in the videos... their site says they come standard with the 13 blade unless you request the 10 blade... figured with it being "standard" theyre be more videos of them than the 10 blade... but all the videos i found said they were running the 10 blade... i dont mind the whistle.. was just curious to see what the 13 sounded like in comparison..
I can get you an example through a stock exhaust if that would be helpful to you. I have the KC 1.5 with the 13 blade. It's quiet. There is no whistle at idle at all. I can hear the turbo driving around but it doesn't seem any different to me than stock 04+ in terms of sound.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:17 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by seijirou
I can get you an example through a stock exhaust if that would be helpful to you. I have the KC 1.5 with the 13 blade. It's quiet. There is no whistle at idle at all. I can hear the turbo driving around but it doesn't seem any different to me than stock 04+ in terms of sound.
would love to hear it if you can get it do you notice any lag when starting out??

Quick Reply: Stock Garrett vs Pmax