1986 f250 drivetrain swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Necruser
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 f250 drivetrain swap

Good morning everyone,
Im a long time reader and a first time poster here.

So last year I inherited my fathers f250 extended cab it is an 86 4x4 with a 460 and a c6. He had owned it since 91 and only put 50k miles on it due to how much it loved its fuel. He gave it to me since I need the cab space, current truck is a 86 standard cab with a 91 7.3 and a zf5. I plan to convert the extended cab over so here is my story.
The 460 was last tabbed in 2015 so during the summer I tried to get it running to bring it to my house. Oh boy if I only knew at the time I would have just hauled it at that time, but I had hope for the old girl that I grew up in.
So here is a list of things I found out at that time.
All 4 tires were weather checked so bad they had split and were swollen.
One rotor was cracked.
One brake cylinder was blown.
Rear break line on frame had rusted and leaked.
Fuel pumps didn’t work.
The motor was carbed and the prv was plugged.
Furl tanks were full of rust and water.
Steering column tilt bearings were shot.

So so I started working on some of the minor issues to get it running and found others that I had listed.
In the end after trying to drive it home twice and having extra complications I ended up renting a trailer to haul it.
The nice thing was she got on and off the trailer on her own.
I got her parked at the house and other things came up until recently when I was able to start working on it.
It had captain chairs so I ended up getting a bench seat for the front.
The door hinge pins were shot so I found a set of hinges to replace them with.
At this time I have the 460 pulled, the front clip off and I am cleaning up the engine bay.

A few questions I have are does anyone know the best way to have a stock tach without swapping out the wiring harness?

What is the best way to replace front body mounts?

And is there a way to add a front sway bar? Since I have to remove the gas front sway bar in order to install the diesel core support.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:28 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
You wouldn't have to change out the entire wiring harness for the tach. Does your 91 7.3l have a tach already? If so, just put the tach from the 91 into your 86 when you swap the engine. A gas tach reads alot higher than a diesel tach and works differently.

Here's a good video on replacing body mount bushings:

Sorry, can't help with your sway bar question. I haven't tinkered with the suspension on my Bullnose yet.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Necruser
New User

Just checking. Am I able to tie on to the gas tach wires and swap the gauge cluster for a diesel cluster?

Update:
Got the trim and windshield removed since it showed signs of leaking. Oh boy p.o. Used silicone around the windshield maybe to stop the leak. Removed all of it and cleaned it up. Looks like I have to replace almost all of the trim clips since they were rusted away.

i also inspected the valley where the cowl sits over and it isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Only a little surface rust under the body calking. Plan to reseal it.

I pulled the headliner down since it was shot. Found out that the center roof brace or bar has separated from the roof. Does anyone know what to use to reattach the center?

One thing i have have yet to do is drill the mounting holes for the master cylinder. Would anyone recommend which style is better? The bullnose master cylinder or brick nose? I do have the additional master cylinder brace for the brick nose but the two styles don’t bolt up the same. Just checking to see which style is better.

While inhad the cowl off I noticed a few seems have cracked out on the passenger side does anyone know what could have caused them?

Old 02-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
I doubt you would be able to install your diesel tach into the instrument panel and use the wiring for the gas tach. As far as I know, the gas tach gets a signal from the distributor and the diesel tach gets a signal from a sensor mounted on the injection pump timing gear housing.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:34 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
You'd be time and money ahead with a lower TCO and cost per mile to just rebuild the 460. It's not worth doing a 460 to IDI swap, or the other way around. If it had a small block either way could make sense but a 460 would have a lower TCO. The truck si already set up for a 460, you already have a good core to build. For $1500-$2000 you can have a 450 HP/550+ ft/lbs torque monster that gets teens for MPG. It'll cost 3x-4x that much to get an IDI that doesn't make as much power and only gets marginally better MPG at about the same $/mile fuel cost.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:45 PM
Necruser
New User
So today i got the steering column out of the parts truck i have in addition to the swing pedal bracket, i noticed there were a few cracks in the bracket, as well as i need to free up the pedals.
thanks olds64, im hoping i can just extend the wires and see if they will work for the tach.
i do understand that the TCO may be less if i rebuilt the 460 but i do enjoy the idi and i have 90% of the parts needed for the swap so atm it would be more of a cost to rebuild the gasser.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by cadunkle
For $1500-$2000 you can have a 450 HP/550+ ft/lbs torque monster that gets teens for MPG. It'll cost 3x-4x that much to get an IDI that doesn't make as much power and only gets marginally better MPG at about the same $/mile fuel cost.
I've often wondered how an 86 f250 460 would drive compared to my 6.9l IDI. The only other trucks I've driven are the 2003 f150 ccsb 5.4l 2WD I used to own and my Dad's 2017 f250 cclb 6.2l 2WD Of course, my Dad's truck drives great since it's so new. The f150 was a good truck too... until it blew a headgasket.

Don't get me wrong, I like my truck. It's just a DOG!

I guess it's about time to stud my motor and install that turbo.