Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Another Rusty Bed Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 02:25 PM
1978f-250
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I thought I was looking at a pic of my truck bed at first. Nice color Your bed is in very good shape. Those holes on the front wall look like they were drilled by someone, maybe to secure a toolbox.

If you want to keep your bed rust-free after doing all the work then make certain you clean the area between the front edge of the bed floor and the front wall of the bed. This area provides drainage for water and if it's not kept clean...well, you can figure that out. Hit the area with compressed air or a high pressure washer.

Dennis

Old 01-31-2019, 02:30 PM
1978f-250
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1978f-250
Wow, I thought I was looking at a pic of my truck bed at first. Nice color Your bed is in very good shape. Those holes on the front wall look like they were drilled by someone, maybe to secure a toolbox.

If you want to keep your bed rust-free after doing all the work then make certain you clean the area between the front edge of the bed floor and the front wall of the bed. This area provides drainage for water and if it's not kept clean...well, you can figure that out. Hit the area with compressed air or a high pressure washer.

Dennis

Here's the area that needs to be kept clean of debris.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:43 PM
RalphXL
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dang, I wish my bed looked as nice as that. lol I guess "very rusty" depends on where you're coming from.

I'd replace the front bit and POR15 the rest after hitting it with a wire wheel. Bed patch panels I have bought from LMC were thinner than the factory bed. You might consider cutting some bed floor out of a different year truck and use that.

Jess

Old 01-31-2019, 04:18 PM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Received 220 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by RalphXL
Dang, I wish my bed looked as nice as that. lol I guess "very rusty" depends on where you're coming from.

I'd replace the front bit and POR15 the rest after hitting it with a wire wheel. Bed patch panels I have bought from LMC were thinner than the factory bed. You might consider cutting some bed floor out of a different year truck and use that.

Jess
I sure am glad you shared that Jess..... I can see I don't want to get any patch panels now.....

Mike

Old 01-31-2019, 06:14 PM
caravaggio2000
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I also wish my bed looked this good. Mine looks like swiss cheese where it crosses the support bars. I look over craigslist twice a day, every day for a donor bed.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:36 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sandblast the bed floor. What ever rust you don't remove will grow in the pitting and you'll never know whats happening under the liner.

Blast it till it's white metal, prime with epoxy primer and topcoat with whatever.

Do NOT blast anything other than the floor.

Grind welds with regular disc and then use flap discs to get it smooth as you like.

If it's one of those don't care what it looks like after then by all means.....ignore my post.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:25 PM
RustyTank
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RalphXL

Jess
Jess, I appreciate the perspective. The more I interact with folks on this site as well as just folks who know old trucks the more I realize the positives about this truck. Case in point, in comparison to a lot of 40 year old trucks the bed really isn't in that bad a shape.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:55 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
your bed is in great shape,compared to what some of us have worked with,,,,,find a local sandblaster,clean it up and have those holes migged,easy fix,,,seriously

Old 02-01-2019, 06:42 PM
JalopyJake
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Sandblast the bed floor. What ever rust you don't remove will grow in the pitting and you'll never know whats happening under the liner.

Blast it till it's white metal, prime with epoxy primer and topcoat with whatever.

Do NOT blast anything other than the floor.

Grind welds with regular disc and then use flap discs to get it smooth as you like.

If it's one of those don't care what it looks like after then by all means.....ignore my post.
Might as well throw my .02 in since I have a lot of experience with this type project. What this guy said is definitely the best way to prevent the rust from returning. But If you don't have access to A blaster or don't want the mess A close second is wire wheel (angle grinder) it as much as you can to bare metal then apply a product called OSPHO with a scotch brite pad or similar. It does a very good job of converting the left over rust to a blackish primer. Follow this up with a good epoxy primer and your all set. Been doing this for years even on frames with zero problems and when done right rust will definitely not return. Others may argue and I could care less....but I can tell you it definitely works when properly done.
​​​​​​

Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 AM
RustyTank
Junior User
Originally Posted by JalopyJake
Might as well throw my .02 in since I have a lot of experience with this type project. What this guy said is definitely the best way to prevent the rust from returning. But If you don't have access to A blaster or don't want the mess A close second is wire wheel (angle grinder) it as much as you can to bare metal then apply a product called OSPHO with a scotch brite pad or similar. It does a very good job of converting the left over rust to a blackish primer. Follow this up with a good epoxy primer and your all set. Been doing this for years even on frames with zero problems and when done right rust will definitely not return. Others may argue and I could care less....but I can tell you it definitely works when properly done.
Thanks Jake. I just PM'd you.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:06 PM
PRUSue
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked the cross member under the front of the bed? My bed was in OK shape, some rust holes, but the cross member was rusted out. Worth checking.

As mentioned, I have not seen replacement beds for shortbeds. I found that 1973-1994? I think shortbeds all had the same dimensions, so they can all work as donors for sheet metal. The problem, is that after '79 they changed the bolt holes spacing. Long story short, I used a '94 patch and front cross member, and had it welded in place. The front two bolts do not fit the frame now, and I will address that later. I figure 6/8 ain't bad for attachment.

I was a fairly new at this, and I derusted with a wire brush and used POR topcoat. If I had to do it again, I'd get a sandblaster. Yes it is more expensive, but the wire brush/chemical ways never work as well. IveI got a shameful nimbnu of hours spent cleaning parts with a wire brush, sandblasting is 100x faster and a better result .

Old 02-06-2019, 08:59 AM
RustyTank
Junior User
Originally Posted by PRUSue
Have you checked the cross member under the front of the bed? My bed was in OK shape, some rust holes, but the cross member was rusted out. Worth checking.

As mentioned, I have not seen replacement beds for shortbeds. I found that 1973-1994? I think shortbeds all had the same dimensions, so they can all work as donors for sheet metal. The problem, is that after '79 they changed the bolt holes spacing. Long story short, I used a '94 patch and front cross member, and had it welded in place. The front two bolts do not fit the frame now, and I will address that later. I figure 6/8 ain't bad for attachment.

I was a fairly new at this, and I derusted with a wire brush and used POR topcoat. If I had to do it again, I'd get a sandblaster. Yes it is more expensive, but the wire brush/chemical ways never work as well. IveI got a shameful nimbnu of hours spent cleaning parts with a wire brush, sandblasting is 100x faster and a better result .
Great point about the cross member. I will definitely check that out first thing.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:01 AM
RustyTank
Junior User
Thanks Folks!

To everyone who chimed in, thank you. This all was such great, helpfull information.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:23 AM
jackietreehorn
Cargo Master
Received 184 Likes on 140 Posts
No need to replace this bed at all....yours is in solid condition!

I would wire wheel that rust off(top and underneath!), treat it with rust neutralizer acid, weld in small patches/plugs and paint with POR15 or chassis saver, finally you can have it rhino lined afterwards.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:39 PM
MrQuick
Senior User

X2 on the lmc panels. Very thin, and dont line up.

Quick Reply: Another Rusty Bed Question