1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Feedback conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 06:51 PM
Stepney
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback conversion question

Hello, all. Well, I've been running my old Feedback '85 I6 as a daily now and it has done well. But the wiring is in pretty sad shape, and the PO ran it with no oil, so she has a load of blowby .. it has been holding up well the last 22k miles I've put on it, but if I'm going to put a new engine in this truck, I suppose it would be nice to clean up under the hood. As such, I've decided I'm going to convert to DS-II and a regular old YFA carb. Also probably a 1 wire or 3g alt, but that's another topic. Get everything working before I do the motor swap. However, in looking at my wiring, it seems to me my oil pressure and temp sender wires are running in to the computer? While my gauges don't tell my much of anything useful, as I've added mechanical gauges under the dash as a precaution .. I'd rather they still were functional. It just wouldn't look right if they weren't. So here's my question. If I do away with the entire computer, how might I go about getting the stock gauges back into working order? I seem to remember reading about this in the past on this forum, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:18 PM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
The oil pressure and water temp wires do not go to the computer. They both go through a 4 wire connector on the drivers inner fender.
Jim

Old 01-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Stepney
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, okay I guess I was thinking of some other post. That solves that then, thank you.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:26 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,788 Posts
Originally Posted by JimsRebel
The oil pressure and water temp wires do not go to the computer. They both go through a 4 wire connector on the drivers inner fender.
Jim
What Jim said.
I just not know 100% on the 4 wires but I would say that is right also basted on my 81.
All the wires come in on that side other than the power into the cab and AC wiring that comes in on the other side.
Dave ----

Old 01-27-2019, 04:11 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Stepney
Hello, all. Well, I've been running my old Feedback '85 I6 as a daily now and it has done well. But the wiring is in pretty sad shape, and the PO ran it with no oil, so she has a load of blowby .. it has been holding up well the last 22k miles I've put on it, but if I'm going to put a new engine in this truck, I suppose it would be nice to clean up under the hood. As such, I've decided I'm going to convert to DS-II and a regular old YFA carb. Also probably a 1 wire or 3g alt, but that's another topic. Get everything working before I do the motor swap. However, in looking at my wiring, it seems to me my oil pressure and temp sender wires are running in to the computer? While my gauges don't tell my much of anything useful, as I've added mechanical gauges under the dash as a precaution .. I'd rather they still were functional. It just wouldn't look right if they weren't. So here's my question. If I do away with the entire computer, how might I go about getting the stock gauges back into working order? I seem to remember reading about this in the past on this forum, but I can't seem to find it anymore.
If you can find a stock 1980 - 1984 I6 DSII wire harness for your truck, the oil pressure and temperature sending unit wires are part of that harness. The DSII harness will then simply plug into your truck's existing wire harness.