Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Ethanol and Small Engines.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 10:28 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Ethanol and Small Engines.

I'm getting tired of having to tear down Carburetors on my small engines. I use the Sta-Bil and higher Octane Fuel, and still have problems. I've tried STP Gas treatment along with the Sta-Bil, with very little results. I'm trying Sea-Foam now, but it's to early to tell, but it did clear a non-working Carburetor on my Snow Blower. Nearest No Ethanol Station is 100 miles round trip. Is Marina Gas Ethanol free?

Old 01-25-2019, 10:36 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 257 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Aftrmidnite
I'm getting tired of having to tear down Carburetors on my small engines. I use the Sta-Bil and higher Octane Fuel, and still have problems. I've tried STP Gas treatment along with the Sta-Bil, with very little results. I'm trying Sea-Foam now, but it's to early to tell, but it did clear a non-working Carburetor on my Snow Blower. Nearest No Ethanol Station is 100 miles round trip. Is Marina Gas Ethanol free?
Around here, fuel at marinas is ethanol free. Many regular gas stations carry non ethanol fuel as well. This is FL and there are lots of boats.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:22 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
I use the Sta-Bil marine stabilizer (the blue stuff) in the gas for my small engines and so far I haven't had any problems with either my generator or snow blower. I also visit a relative in upstate NY twice a year and her town has a small airport. They have self serve 100 octane Low Lead Avgas. Works great in the snow blower.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:31 PM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a small Airport, just down the road from me. They won't sell me Fuel, said he could get in a huge bind over this. He can't even use it in his small engines on equipment that's for the Airport.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:39 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
Because you are using the wrong products. You need a stabilizer that prevents fuel phase separation and encapsulates water. The one company that sells it is BC3 and its sold as Ethanol Shield. It's also the same product used in lots of premixed fuel and some of the OEM manufacturers oil. Its available at any hardware store or home depot. Bottle runs about 8.00 I haven't had issues since I switched years ago. Fuel stays good for a year or so with no issues.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:16 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
I have a small Airport, just down the road from me. They won't sell me Fuel, said he could get in a huge bind over this. He can't even use it in his small engines on equipment that's for the Airport.
I'm lucky in that its an unattended small municipal airport and the fueling is credit card operated self serve. So far, no one has said anything to me.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:08 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I can buy premium 93 octane straight gas here. Which I do.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:33 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
Can't figure it out -- I'm just not seeing these issues. I have 2 snow blowers (one 10+ years and one fairly new), 2 lawn tractors ( old toro WH and an 09 Cub cadet), chain saw, wood chipper, weed whip ( 4 stroke on wheels), and an old cheap lawn mower.

Only problem I've had was the chipper carb plugged -- but it's probably 15 years old. Maybe I just don't use the stuff enough. I have gone to draining the fuel and running them until they quit ( choking them till they just won't go anymore). Exceptions are the chain saw (Stihl) that I never store -- and my old Toro because I sometimes use it in the winter. I put stabil in the Toro. I also put Stabil in my old Fiero because I don't drive it in the winter.

When I had the carb issue with the weed whip, I found a carb on Amazon that was cheaper than the rebuild parts and gaskets. I did have to take part of the choke actuator from the old one because the generic part wouldn't work. I've read that there are lots of cheap Chinese carbs available -- probably because of ethanol issues. Seemed to be well made. Probably can't get one for the snowmobile, I'm sure that they're high performance.

Just my experiences -- probably you use your stuff a lot more.

hj
ps-- there are a lot of stations here that sell ethanol free -- for classic cars, off road vehicles and small engines. I thought that was getting to be standard preactice.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:14 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Gas station around here sells ethanol free premium gas - I use that in all my small engines.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:19 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by seville009
Gas station around here sells ethanol free premium gas - I use that in all my small engines.
There are plenty of stations around the country that sell ethanol free gas. Just not in or near most big cities. If your city has been declared an "air quality non-compliance area" by the EPA you can't sell ethanol free gas in the city of for 25 miles outside the zone. I live in NYC and we're non-compliant.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:41 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Own several small gasoline powered engine equipment and over past several years they have operated fine using my own mixture of Ca. toxic fuel and additive and usually no problem starting the equipment unless the mixture has been setting for an extended period of time. I recently purchased ethanol free premix thru local hardware store; however, after a couple months I had a problem starting both my chain saw and leaf blower so I drained the premix and added a solution of fuel and additive and both started with no effort. Problem starting could be attributed to other factors but once the premix is used up intend going back to my own mixture..

Old 06-02-2019, 11:18 PM
77&79F250
Received 3,355 Likes on 2,495 Posts
Old 06-04-2019, 03:01 AM
wdfp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run ethanol free when I can but regardless if I shut the gas off before stopping during the summer it will start just fine and then run it plum out the last time I run it before winter it always fires right up but I do have to remember to shut the gas off.. If I forget I will have problems every time..

Old 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 374 Likes on 137 Posts
I've been buying the True Fuel Ethanol Free, after having to have both of my chainsaws carbs rebuilt/replaced I was talking to the shop mechanic and he recommended it especially for the 2 strokes. I've also used it in my lawn mower and it has helped there also. They also said be sure and drain all the fuel out at the end of the season and be sure and pump the priming bulb a couple of times after that to clear those lines also.

If I had to do bulk like for a commercial logging company out where I live we have a gas station down by the river that has Alcohol free for the boats.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:32 PM
barnes80
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one time I used Stabil, I ended up rebuilding the carb. Maybe I didn't use it right or something but ever since then, I use Berrymans for everything with no issues. My jet skis get winterized with full gas tanks mixed with a can of Berrymans. Mowers, generators, a couple cc's in the weed whackers and chain saws. Never had a problem running ethanol and Berrymans. Just don't get it on your skin!

Quick Reply: Ethanol and Small Engines.