1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Knee deep and over my head, maybe

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 05:50 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I should be spending this downtime clearing out junk to get ready for the demo, feet are already wet. I just hate cleaning and don't much feel like it. Need to check and see when the deadline is.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:29 PM
jackietreehorn
Cargo Master
Received 184 Likes on 140 Posts
Hmm I’m not sure sure even a French drain could solve that water issue. Maybe pour a tall slab eventually?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:17 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Kramercd
I must have made it to the first inner circle or something, been learning all kinds of good stuff. Even found an old post of yours showing how to properly search FTE using google. Still didnt help me find the thread I was looking for. It's possibly I imagined it and the participants. Or it's over at Gary's place. But thought it was here. You, Gary, and I'm sure numberdummy was there, and Franklin, probably AB as well. Discussing differences in the 240 and 300 and trying to figure out where the different compression ratios were coming from? I searched for that dude for over an hour, found some related threads but not that one. That ring any bells, or did I make it up?
Oh gosh, anything is possible, I've been on FTE since 07 (I think) and have tried to help people figure out lots o' things.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:54 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Oh gosh, anything is possible, I've been on FTE since 07 (I think) and have tried to help people figure out lots o' things.
Lol, want to help me find that thread? I'll try some more keywords in a minute, see what I can't dig up, probably going to be at Gary's place. We have an emissions guru floating around?

Old 02-12-2019, 08:13 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
The best emissions guru we have right now would probably be @matthewq4b and 99% of the time he will tell you to remove that stuff.

There comes a point where it's exceedingly difficult to find any particular post you have in mind, even with the Advanced Search here. You mention AB, is that Abandoned Bronco? That would mean there's a chance I was talking to him in his 6-banger forum. I've never physically met him, but I've been going out to Gary's once a year for what seems like a long time now, and I brought ND Bill out there ~1.5 years ago.

But to try and ask the server to find all threads with me + AB + ND Bill + Gary in it, I don't know how to easily do that using the web interface.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:21 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by ctubutis
The best emissions guru we have right now would probably be @matthewq4b and 99% of the time he will tell you to remove that stuff.

There comes a point where it's exceedingly difficult to find any particular post you have in mind, even with the Advanced Search here. You mention AB, is that Abandoned Bronco? That would mean there's a chance I was talking to him in his 6-banger forum. I've never physically met him, but I've been going out to Gary's once a year for what seems like a long time now, and I brought ND Bill out there ~1.5 years ago.

But to try and ask the server to find all threads with me + AB + ND Bill + Gary in it, I don't know how to easily do that using the web interface.
Attempted that last night, server is still smoking I think... Will try some more and if I figure it out I'll definitely keep my methods a secret! ha

Old 02-12-2019, 08:36 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Alright, kinda depressing. But only because of the implications on the current state of my brain. I found it, I was mixing up two different threads, the one I was looking for WAS over at Gary's place Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible) - Bullnose Forum and I found it by going through a month of browser history. Now the only think to do is try and forget I was thinking about another thread as well so I don't have to go find it now.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Still haven't gotten back to the truck. Weather isn't cooperating. Spent weeks under water. Got a gallon of POR-15. I feel like I should have been warned about the $$$ on that. Going to use it on the frame instead of tractor paint. Not sure if I'm going to top coat it. Plan right now is to catch a day or two it isn't raining. Plan on running propane heater to try and get that space warm. Also picked up about 40' of heat tape I plan to wrap the frame with to preheat before paint. Here's how my Saturday looked.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:58 AM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's how my Saturday looked.[/img]
I likes me a bit of snow every now and again.

Still have the YFA carb that year?

Old 03-05-2019, 06:08 AM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by vjsimone
I likes me a bit of snow every now and again.

Still have the YFA carb that year?
I still haven't got the YF and YFA sorted out in my head. Pretty sure it's like a YFA-C1 or close to it. No-feedback.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:23 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Alright, made it back home, was working out of state for the last ten days, resting tomorrow. Probably going to spend the day going through the 244 shop manuals I just hauled home. May try and paint the frame Tuesday, my por-15 was waiting for me when I got in. If that goes well Ive got the engine paint on hand as well.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:47 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
I still haven't got the YF and YFA sorted out in my head. Pretty sure it's like a YFA-C1 or close to it. No-feedback.

YFA has a metering rod YF does not.. thats the difference in a nut shell.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:50 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
YFA has a metering rod YF does not.. thats the difference in a nut shell.
Took me long enough to lure someone into that trap. Lol the big question, which one or both is or can be the feedback variety?

Old 03-11-2019, 07:07 AM
jackietreehorn
Cargo Master
Received 184 Likes on 140 Posts
Good question, I'd venture to say only YFAs were feedback. They also have a bowl vent usually while my YFs do not. Both are good carbs. Wish I had your energy, I haven't been able to muster for a core support even!

Old 03-11-2019, 07:36 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Took me long enough to lure someone into that trap. Lol the big question, which one or both is or can be the feedback variety?
Only the YFA will be feedback. The YFA is what would be called an emissions carb. Think of the differences between the YF and YFA as same the differences the 2100 and 2150 Autolite/Motorcraft carbs. The differences for both is the addition of main circuit metering rods. The feedback just added another level of control to fuel air mix.

The Feedback system uses an O2 sensor in the exhaust, to allow the ECU to control a solenoid that bleeds air in to idle and main metering circuits on the carb to adjust the fuel air mix.
In addition to the O2 Sensor there will be other other sensors TPS. MAP/BAP, ACT, CTS, etc that will define the parameters of when and how the bleed solenoid is operated.
Motorcraft and Carter both use the air bleed method to control the fuel air mix in their feedback carbs. In addition on the 4.9L ignition control was thrown in for good measure, further complicating the issue.

By today's standards the system is *** simple. But diagnosing can be difficult if you do not have a solid understanding of the operation and function each sensor and the operating parameters of the system. Since there is no self diagnosing function a break out box at the ECU and an a meter is really the only way to truly diagnose the system for full and proper functionality. With scarce part availability (especially in the vacuum system) in many instances the easiest solution is to pull it and revert to a non feedback system.

Quick Reply: Knee deep and over my head, maybe