Sponsored by: DP Tuner

trans temp guage

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 09:50 PM
desert 250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question trans temp guage

i have just got my hands on a uses 02 PSD CC SB 4x4. the trans temp guage every morning on start up read in the center of the guage. luckly the truck has only 32k on it and should be under warranty. have any of you noticed this problem on your trucks?? BTW the truck is bone stock for now. thanks for any info.

Old 09-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Phat02
Senior User
The trans temp guage on these trucks is nothing more than an idiot light, the needle stays in the middle all the time (under normal conditions). I have never seen mine move. It is SUPPOSED to move up if you get too hot, but I don't recommend testing it. Mine goes directly to the middle as soon as the switch is turned on. If you are worried, put in an aftermarket trans temp gauge. They are very easy to install.

Last edited by Phat02; 09-28-2003 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:20 PM
Black Diamond Landscaping
New User
I just got my tranny rebuilt due to overheating. I purchased the truck in June! ('95 F350 PSD SRW Long box) The cooler in the rad was not hooked up, to my suprise. So I guess the external cooler could not keep up to its task. What a costly thing to find out.

I asked at the guy at the tranny shop what it would take to install a aftermarket gauge. He said not to try and hook one up. He said that everyone he sees is leaking where the hole gets drilled in to the oil pan. Anyone have comments on this? I do not want to spend another $2500cdn!!, but want to know that my tranny is the correct temp.

Old 10-03-2003, 06:19 AM
trakman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmissson Gauge

Desert 250...My 02 had the same problem or so I thought. I find that if it sets over night with the outside air temps in the 70's, upon start up, it goes to the middle of the gauge. Now that the temps have cooled down at night in to the 40's, it starts out at about 1/4 of gauge range and after running for a while, it's back to the middle or what is called normal.

Old 10-03-2003, 06:48 AM
Phat02
Senior User
Black Diamond-

FYI, the newer Superduties do not have to be drilled & tapped. They have a nice test plug, just screw it out and screw the sending unit in. Mine does not leak (so far).

Old 10-03-2003, 08:20 AM
02PSD4ME
Posting Guru
It all depends on the outside Temp. I have the stock (Useless) gauge, and an aftermarket one. Upon startup with the outside temp above ~70 deg it will go straight to the middle and never move, below 70 it will start out lower. I have gotten my aftermarket (ISSPRO) gauge to 200 deg this past July outside temp 90+ deg towing in the mountains of western NC, the stock gauge still was in the middle and did not move (~60-200 deg same position). it is a POS!

Do youself a favor and get a good set of aftermarket gauges.

Read This

Old 10-03-2003, 08:22 AM
02PSD4ME
Posting Guru
Originally posted by Phat02
Black Diamond-

FYI, the newer Superduties do not have to be drilled & tapped. They have a nice test plug, just screw it out and screw the sending unit in. Mine does not leak (so far).
I agree..

Mine has been i for a year.. and NO leaks

Old 10-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Carfunkel
Junior User
Location: Canterbury - A beautifu but overpriced rural setting in central NH
Originally posted by Black Diamond Landscaping
I asked at the guy at the tranny shop ...He said not to try and hook one up. ... leaking where the hole gets drilled in to the oil pan.
Find another tranny shop. The pan is not the best location for a gauge sensor - merely the easiest. By the time the oil in the pan gets to dangerous levels, the oil flowing through the transmission will have been at those levels for several minutes. The sensor should be put where it will sense the highest temperature of the oil. That would be in the line going from the transmission to the cooler. Then you can know what is truly going on inside the transmission, rather than what went on for the past several minutes.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:27 PM
jrfraley
New User
Who has a good aftermarket gauge??

Old 10-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Michael013
Senior User
If you keep the speed over 85-90 MPH, for an extended time, when it is over 90 degrees outside, you will see the factory gauge move a little from the middle to just above the little transmission icon on the gauge. When I stopped, I measured the temperature of the transmission at various points, the cooler, pan, housing, lines and the temperatures varied from 180 to 200 degrees. So I guess by the time it hits the danger zone on the gauge, it must be 300 degrees or so, and time for a new transmission.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Black Diamond Landscaping
New User
Originally posted by Carfunkel
That would be in the line going from the transmission to the cooler. Then you can know what is truly going on inside the transmission, rather than what went on for the past several minutes.
So this would mean installing an in-line temp gauge. Anyone know of where to get a good one. Sorry I thought that all transtemp gauges where like the old engine temp-like sensors that screw into a tapped port.

Phat02: My truck is not a newer Superduty so what you are indicating would not apply to this truck. ?? I could not see a port to install a sensor on my tranny.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:41 PM
cwb
Posting Guru
Well guys I just drove from L.A. to Sacramento and had trouble with mine the whole way. As long as I kept the engine under twok rpm's I was fine but over that the stock gauge started to rise. When it got over the globe I stopped and let it coll then did 65 the whole rest of the way. When I got here I took it to a tranny shop and he pulled it apart and said there were no signs of it heating up. He said that ther has been a big problem with the gauges themselves heating up. Whatever. I don't know what to believe so I bought a Banks trans temp gauge and Tru-cool max cooler.

Old 10-05-2003, 06:27 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
On the 1st generation Powerstrokes, like mine, the factory tranny cooler was rated for 10Kgvw. As soon as I found that out, I replaced it with a Tru-Cool unit rated for 24K gvw. Now, regardless of how/where/when I'm driving, and regardless of what I'm towing/hauling, my aftermarket tranny temp gauge hasn't gone above 170*, and that was only when pulling a 28' travel trailer through the Cascades at 70mph with the AC on.
Go with a real gauge, and a different cooler.

Old 10-06-2003, 01:07 AM
jrfraley
New User
thanks for the input Quadzilla