2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Car audio guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 08:09 PM
undl8r
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Tricon
Holy crap man, it would be comical if I knew it wasnt so frustrating. You push an old lady down the stairs at some point in the recent past? You've got some bad juju following you around .
only my mom but she deserved it . i'm actually a nice guy, every winter i'm towing idiots who try to come down my road with 2WD out of here, whereas a wrecker charges $450 to come out.

i have a graduate degree in engineering (minored in electrical) and worked for a computer chip company for 20 years and am blown away as to how many of these DSPs I can't get to work or work properly. I'm beginning to think it's not meant to be.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:47 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by undl8r
Ok, now it's almost comical and i am beginning to believe i live in some vortex. constantly have problems with electronics out here. people even claim they can hear a low frequency hum coming from the earth.

after firmware update, it was great. bass was strongest, clearest, and tightest i've ever obtained. had a huge smile on my face, weather moved in so i decided i'd mess with settings and such later. an hour later, same crap started up with canceling.

Checked all wiring, nothing.

Basically, if you mix in the 3rd input (LR speaker out from HU) with any other input it cancels all or some of the signal. it doesn't do this if you mix any other inputs together (everything but #3) . if i mix LR (from HU, input 3 into DSP) and RR (from HU, input 4) on same channel (and send to either rear) - it removes all vocals, bass, and some other frequencies, it only plays small range of music. If I mix 3rd input and any other input for my LF speaker it completely shuts down sound (same if I mix 3rd input into sub with any other input), if i add more than one input to the mix (along with input 3) i get signal but it is lower and increases in gain as I eliminate input 3 from the mix.

called Dayton - tried reloading firmware and getting a 3rd unit now.

this is just so perplexing. if i had any hair left on my head i'd be pulling it out
For ***** and grins have you tried restoring oem setting in the headunit with forscan, running speaker level inputs to the processcor and seeing what happens? The odds of you having 2 bunk front rows, and 2 bunk dayton DSP’s seems full on impossible. I feel like at this point its time for you to start wondering if the issues may stem from the ACM. Grasping at straws here, but what else could it possibly be? I cant remember what you posted above. Are you still running low level? Have you tested your pre amp voltage? Run a test tone and check voltage with the volume on the head unit all of the way up. Word of caution: DO NOT TRY AND PROBE YOUR RCA’s. it is too easy to cause a short. If you probe the RCA coming out of the HU and accidently touch the outer ring, there is a strong possibility bad things will happen. Use a mating rca plug and split the wires on the end. Touch your leads to the wire ends for readings. That way there is no chance of short. See what kind of voltage readings you are getting. If you still have the center channel running off of the HU you may want to disconnect it while you run the tone. Look for voltage irregularities between the channels. I dont believe it is the DSP’s at this point. Its simply impossible!

Old 03-23-2019, 10:04 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Are you having these signal issues at any volume level, or only when the system is turned up “loud”?

Old 03-23-2019, 10:34 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Well i went back and read a couple of your previous posts. I saw that you tried speaker level and still had problems with the sub signal...... did i read that correctly that it would work with one channel set 180 out? Thats insane....

Old 03-23-2019, 10:39 AM
undl8r
Senior User
Originally Posted by Imadentguy
Are you having these signal issues at any volume level, or only when the system is turned up “loud”?
i've tried everything. line level, speaker level, checked polarity of all speaker wires, no OEM processing, OEM processing, different HU volume and gain settings, Firmware updates, and reversing the polarity of the input channel (#3) that is causing the problem. what is so freaky is that it will cancel all sub signal (if any other (only 1) signal is mixed with #3) but for the rear channel (#3 combined with another input and sent to either rear speakers) it will cancel everything but a narrow range of frequencies (i still have sound coming but i completely loose vocals and a lot of mid range) as i decrease the mix of #3 everything comes back. if i send input #3 to a single channel without any other input mixed in it sounds normal. I am not clipping and this happens at all volumes and gains.

After the firmware update it actually worked as it should. it was the best bass i've ever heard from the system. I had a smile on my face bc it sounded so good and was happy that i finally got it. That didn't last long.

i ran HU to AMP off and on for about 2 months and never had a single problems.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:43 AM
undl8r
Senior User
Originally Posted by Imadentguy
Well i went back and read a couple of your previous posts. I saw that you tried speaker level and still had problems with the sub signal...... did i read that correctly that it would work with one channel set 180 out? Thats insane....
yes on 180. if i assign #3 input to sub channel 6 and #1, 2, or 4 (only one input) to sub channel 7, I get nothing from the sub unless i put one of the channels out of phase.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:52 AM
MBaldo
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone tried one of these Kicker (plug and play) subwoofer systems that fits behind the rear seat of your Super Duty. I'm wondering if this improves the overall sound, if you leave the rest as stock. I realize replacing all the speakers would vastly improve the quality, but I'm not ready to tear apart my brand new F350 Super Duty. Not impressed whatsoever with the BO System, especially the lack of bass.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:29 AM
undl8r
Senior User
i bought one for my F-150 and still have it. it does fill in a bit but don't expect any thump or what not. I tried to install it on '17 F250 but there was no plug behind the left rear seat/near corner of cab on my truck (STX/XL but with 7 speaker sync 3, same as F150). i got it on eBay i think for $500. if you are interested in one i think i can find all the screws and pieces.

you'd probably get a better self powered sub for about the same or less money installed by an audio shop.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:32 AM
MBaldo
Senior User
i bought one for my F-150 and still have it. it does fill in a bit but don't expect any thump or what not. I tried to install it on '17 F250 but there was no plug behind the left rear seat/near corner of cab on my truck (STX/XL but with 7 speaker sync 3, same as F150). i got it on eBay i think for $500. if you are interested in one i think i can find all the screws and pieces.
I met with a local car audio shop that I was referred to. He quoted me $750.00 installed, which is a pretty good price. I'm just terrible at this kind of stuff. Thanks for the input and the offer. My truck is a brand new F350 Lariat. I'm not sure if it has a plug or not.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:34 PM
undl8r
Senior User
Originally Posted by MBaldo
I met with a local car audio shop that I was referred to. He quoted me $750.00 installed, which is a pretty good price. I'm just terrible at this kind of stuff. Thanks for the input and the offer. My truck is a brand new F350 Lariat. I'm not sure if it has a plug or not.
I will tell you with almost 100% certainty if you go with the ford/kicker sub at that price you are not going to be happy, compared to what you can get aftermarket. i would check out earlier posts in this thread on the JL Audio powered subs. also i thought i read that the kicker is only for base systems (not sony or BO).

if the wiring isn't in the back of the cab you will have to get a pinout of the system and run the dedicated lines to the sub in the back. you will also have to use forscan to turn it on. with the plug in the back on my F-150 it took me less than an hour to do the install and forscan programming and i was going very slow.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:37 PM
MBaldo
Senior User
I will tell you with almost 100% certainty if you go with the ford/kicker sub at that price you are not going to be happy, compared to what you can get aftermarket. i would check out earlier posts in this thread on the JL Audio powered subs.

if the wiring isn't in the back of the cab you will have to get a pinout of the system and run the dedicated lines to the sub in the back. you will also have to use forscan to turn it on. with the plug in the back on my F-150 it took me less than an hour to do the install and forscan programming and i was going very slow.
OK ... Thanks so much for the advice and input. I will spend more time and read through the entire post to gather more information.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Spooledsrt
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
using Forscan you can shut off the factory processing/EQ (and even to switch to LL). to do so go to the ACM (As Built) Module. Line 727-01-02 ->you should have this value 0600 0000 xxxx (it may not be a 6 but any number 1-9). Change the 6 (or whatever number it is) to 0. this will shut down all processing.

be sure to allow your HU to completely power off and back on again after changes.
Messed with forscan tonight. Factory setting was what you posted. I have the B&O, not sure if thats a difference of not?

Old 03-25-2019, 08:27 PM
undl8r
Senior User
I can't answer for sure but I would assume yes.. That digit is held for sound processing. If your's was a 6 like all other normal sync 3 - 7 speaker system (or any other number but 0) then i would assume it is doing the processing and like all other systems 0 shuts it down.

here's a link to the F-150 Forscan Spread Sheet. ACM stuff is (as far as i can tell) universal. As are most of their other settings.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=338817466

Old 03-25-2019, 08:36 PM
Spooledsrt
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I can't answer for sure but I would assume yes.. That digit is held for sound processing. If your's was a 6 like all other normal sync 3 - 7 speaker system (or any other number but 0) then i would assume it is doing the processing and like all other systems 0 shuts it down.

here's a link to the F-150 Forscan Spread Sheet. ACM stuff is (as far as i can tell) universal. As are most of their other settings.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=338817466
Thanks I'll check it out. I might just quit researching and just buy a amp pro4 and add a sub. I think the b&o sounds decent until over 15 on the volume then bass just disappears lol. Didnt know if disabling the dsp would make things any better.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:48 PM
undl8r
Senior User
if you have decent sub-bass/mids on up to highs (at higher volumes) and only the bass is falling off, and if it were me, i'd just add a good self powered sub with a remote (JLs were discussed in earlier posts) and call it a day.

if not by the time your done with amp, speakers, DSP and everything else you are looking at probably $1500 or more. at this point (assuming you have just regular reverse camera) i'd consider replacing the head unit with a Maestro compatible system that ties into your OBD. I did this on a 2012 with a kenwood system that had digital processing built in, 45W 4CH in dash amp, and self powered sub. the best audio systems i ever had. Incredible sound and I was able to read key vehicle data - torque, temps, ratios, NOx, etc. on the HU. Unless they have updated their firmware, you can't use it with multi camera system (they said they wouldn't gaurentee it would work when i called about 6 months ago).

Quick Reply: Car audio guys