Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some help...

Old 01-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Doug Kubit
New User
Doug Kubit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question I need some help...

Hi guys, I am looking at buying a 2002 Excursion 4x4 7.3 Limited. The truck is 300 miles away from me so I have asked for quite a bit of photos and most everything looks good. I did see something that caught my eye though, and thought this would be the best place to ask.

Under the hood, on the right side near the firewall is a wiring harness. There are what appears to be 4 wires sticking out about 5". The ends are not capped and aren't hooked up to anything. Any ideas? Also, I'd be looking for any feedback on what else to keep my eye out for. I have heard the usual about making sure the tranny shifts smooth, no steering wander, goes straight while braking, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-16-2019, 02:02 PM
unleashd
Posting Guru
unleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud of
Welcome to the FTE! Read through the many articles in the Tech Folder on this forum. Also, walk over to the 7.3 sub-forum as well and read through many threads that will guide you with additional diagnosis on the engine as well before you decide on this EX.

Those 4 wires, I am told, are not connected to anything on the other side of the firewall either These can be used for future electrical projects, which I am sure many of us will help you in spending some additional $$$ on

Old 01-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Those wires are what's called "Customer Access" wires. IF you need to run something into the cab, they already ran the wires for you to prevent you from cutting wires yourself an causing an electrical issue.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:16 PM
DavenTn
Fishslayer
DavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud of
Factory spares

Old 01-16-2019, 03:20 PM
DavenTn
Fishslayer
DavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud of
Get close ups of the rocker panels, with the doors open, real close ups and then the back side too. Common area for bad rust.
Oil pan pictures

Oil leaks are an issue too. Every 7.3 will leak at some point, not if but where and when.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:28 PM
96firephoenix
Senior User
96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
Those wires are what's called "Customer Access" wires. IF you need to run something into the cab, they already ran the wires for you to prevent you from cutting wires yourself an causing an electrical issue.
Where did those come out in the cab? I've only seen one by the pedal area...

Old 01-16-2019, 04:09 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
Where did those come out in the cab? I've only seen one by the pedal area...
I think that the others go over by the radio and are tied up there.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Doug Kubit
New User
Thanks for the help!
Everything looks good to me so far. I will be asking for a hoist when I get there, to check for leaks and what not.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:45 PM
Peace2Peep
Elder User
Peace2Peep is a splendid one to beholdPeace2Peep is a splendid one to beholdPeace2Peep is a splendid one to beholdPeace2Peep is a splendid one to beholdPeace2Peep is a splendid one to beholdPeace2Peep is a splendid one to beholdPeace2Peep is a splendid one to behold
Looks pretty good so far! Keep 'em coming!

Old 01-17-2019, 12:03 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
The customer access wires inside are near the connector for the trailer brake controller and should be visible looking up under the center of the dash or into the cavity where the radio is removed. They are similar to the colors used on aftermarket trailer brake controllers (TBC) and are often mistaken for the trailer brake controller wires.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:52 AM
CanyonRider
Freshman User
CanyonRider has a good reputation on FTE.CanyonRider has a good reputation on FTE.
The rockers below the rear doors rust out before the fronts. I'd be more interest in see those.
Good Luck!
CR

Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 AM
96firephoenix
Senior User
96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
I think that the others go over by the radio and are tied up there.
hmmm...I'll have to take a peek, but I think I remember seeing some wires up that way when I had the dash apart.
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
The customer access wires inside are near the connector for the trailer brake controller and should be visible looking up under the center of the dash or into the cavity where the radio is removed. They are similar to the colors used on aftermarket trailer brake controllers (TBC) and are often mistaken for the trailer brake controller wires.
The difference being that the TBC wires have the plug on them, right?

Old 01-17-2019, 09:51 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
hmmm...I'll have to take a peek, but I think I remember seeing some wires up that way when I had the dash apart.
The difference being that the TBC wires have the plug on them, right?

Yes, TBC wiring has a grey plug, customer convenience wires are just blunt cut ends.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:06 PM
Doug Kubit
New User
Well, she followed me home. I had 300 miles to get to know the girl, she didn't disappoint.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:50 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Congrats and welcome to the EX family!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.