Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

tires from Amazon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 01:45 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ghunt
I've got tires on my watch list on Ebay that I'm going to buy sometime soon, both for my car and truck. Some good deals on there, I've previously only bought from actual tire places online.
The main incentive for me to buy online is the ability to use Paypal credit. But if the purchase is going to cost me 100 - 200 dollars more...?

Old 01-16-2019, 01:50 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by CR172
So Amazon would be $607 delivered and I still need to have them mounted and balanced. There is a local shop that quoted me $580 plus tax and includes mounting and balancing, in stock. Seems like a no brainer to me. Once again proves the almighty Amazon is not always the least expensive.
Even for a $100 difference, I would still go to our local shop. We've been getting tires & tire service at this place for going on 30 years. They know us, and have the records on all the tires we've bought there. They always do us right, and they "throw in" things like TPMS sensors and tire repairs at no charge. Doing it all local is worth a lot to me.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:36 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
Even for a $100 difference, I would still go to our local shop. We've been getting tires & tire service at this place for going on 30 years. They know us, and have the records on all the tires we've bought there. They always do us right, and they "throw in" things like TPMS sensors and tire repairs at no charge. Doing it all local is worth a lot to me.
I agree and if you re-read my post, I am going local. In the big metro mess it's kind of hard to create relations like you describe.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:37 PM
idrive
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a local tire shop I have been dealing with for several years. They do all my tire work but don't always carry the tires I'm after. They have no problem taking care (mt. bal. etc) when I bring them in tires I have bought elsewhere.

I shop Amazon, Ebay, Tire Rack and a few others before buying. I'm after the best deal I can get. My last set of BFG KO2's came from Ebay as my tire guys don't carry them. Saved about $300 when comparing to everyone else.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
The main incentive for me to buy online is the ability to use Paypal credit. But if the purchase is going to cost me 100 - 200 dollars more...?
That's my incentive too, plus I'm waiting for one of ebay's 15% off everything sales that they do almost every month now. That will knock almost $100 off a set of $600 tires.

I've always bought tires online and just taken them to walmart to have them mounted, but I've soured on that in the last couple years. Walmart has raised their mount/balance prices for carry-in tires to almost $20/tire...and they still can't balance anything for ****, so I might as well take them to a local place closer to my house. Plus...couple years back I had them take tires off one set of wheels and put them on another (bare) set of wheels. They double billed me for mounting! So I'm done with that route.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 AM
alloro
Received 4,198 Likes on 2,433 Posts
So Amazon would be $607 delivered and I still need to have them mounted and balanced. There is a local shop that quoted me $580 plus tax and includes mounting and balancing, in stock. Seems like a no brainer to me. Once again proves the almighty Amazon is not always the least expensive.
Well sure it always pays to shop around. Sometimes the deal is better on Amazon and sometimes it's not.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,566 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Boy a hear that! You really have to be careful buying from AMAZON or just about anywhere for that matter!

I while back I was shopping around for Goodyear MT/R 35/12.50R-17, I found the best price at Wal-Mart. If they will do it, I will have the local Les Schwab mount and balance.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:24 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
That's weird. I've cross-checked prices against Walmart vs. some of the online places for several different tires and Walmart was always higher.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Shipping might be part of the equation as I can get the tires shipped free to the store. I looked again just between Walmart and discount tire and tires are $27 per tire cheaper at Walmart and $74 a tire cheaper than Amazon. I haven't talked to discount tire yet so maybe I can swing a deal. I don't have I lot of options around here. There are a couple of independent tire shops I might check with them.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:35 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
I'll NEVER buy another set of tires from Costco, and I love that place, but not for tires... Best value I've found?? Find your very, very best price on the exact tire you want, delivered to your door. Then call Discount Tire Direct (Discount and America's Tire Online Store), and tell them what price you have. Unless it is a freak tire, they can and will beat that price! Well, and as it happens... They will also call the Mgr of your local Discount or Americas Tire store and ask if they'll accept the tires direct, and then just charge the mounting and balancing fee (like $20 ea.). Haven't had any manager, in 3 different stores turn it down...

And I get to MAKE AN APPOINTMENT to get the install done... Try that with one of the other guys... And actually have the work done when you get there at the scheduled time...

Best, Scott

Old 01-19-2019, 09:32 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Good call Scott ! Well worth a phone call.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:40 AM
alloro
Received 4,198 Likes on 2,433 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Then call Discount Tire Direct
I've used them several times. I got a set of 4 LT type tires for my van from them for $299 delivered to my door. At the time my son was in an automotive program at school and brought the van in then mounted and balanced them for no charge. All in all I saved about $500.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:56 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
Like I said; we've been going to America's Tire for 25+ years, and they have always done us right. My SO picked up a nail in the Sierra foothills several years ago, and there was only a local garage that could replace the damaged tire (nail went through the shoulder of the tire & it could not be repaired). When she got home, we took the car down to America's Tire and they replaced the "replacement" at no charge, and sent her on her way. I've never seen that kind of service from anyone else.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:38 AM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
We have a local shop that we use as well. They operate much like yours. Buy your tires from there, they mount and balance for free, rotations are $10 cash, fix leaks/punctures for free, etc. Well worth a few extra $ up front.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:12 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
I agree with the local shop thing, but I only have one local shop and they don't sell the tires I want. It means a lot to have a good relationship with your local tire shop, I don't have that.

Quick Reply: tires from Amazon?