1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

edelbrock carburetors

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 08:16 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
edelbrock carburetors

Does any one know any thing about 1405 edelbrock carburetors? I found gas laying around the secondary weights and it has been running a little rich lately but other wise it is fine. Is this a common thing? Is this normal? What goes wrong in their to cause this? What can be done to fix this? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-28-2003, 08:58 PM
bhabben
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing out of the ordinary about AFB's. These are actually on the basic side. Is the choke and unloader functional? Got a good filter upstream? Junk can cause the needle and seats to stick open, and they will flood just like any other carb. One thing to remember is that the carb has two bowls, two needle and seats, and is split side to side. I have seen the bowl gasket hit the floats and keep them from lifting all the way and closing the needle and seat before.
Other than that, they tend to be pretty trouble free. Holler if you have any other questions.
Adios,
Brett

Old 09-29-2003, 07:27 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the reply I am going to open it up to see what wrong. I hope it is just a peace of junk in the needle. I will let you know what I find.

Old 09-29-2003, 09:27 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
57 Ford

Let us know what you find. I am running the a 1405 or 1406. Don't remember for sure. Every now and then it appears to be blowing fuel past the needle and seat. I am far from an expert on them. Edelbrock says they are pretty sensitive to excessive fuel pump pressure. I guess they like 6 pounds or less. I may invest in the offroad needle and seat kit. Thinking perhaps it may be better quality. Maybe not. Never had the lid off mine yet, it's new but way out of warranty from my long build time.

Old 09-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fenders, at least you know about what model you have. Is there a number on the ed carb to tell me what model I have? I bought the truck with it on there. As long as we are on the subject; some guys say the edlebrook needs to be adjusted by a trained tech with a vacuum guage. True?? If not, does anybody know how?? Thanks, John

Old 09-30-2003, 05:06 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
John

Either post a PIC of it and we'll ID it. Or go to edelbrock.com and check it out. Great site. They don't make that many different carbs.

Old 10-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Talking

Thanks, I'll check it out. John

Old 10-01-2003, 08:22 PM
bhabben
Senior User
As long as we are on the subject; some guys say the edlebrook needs to be adjusted by a trained tech with a vacuum guage. True?? If not, does anybody know how?? Thanks, John
'Adjust'? There's nothing to adjusting the idle speed and mixture. And you CAN learn to 'calibrate' the AFB's using a strip kit. This is a great user friendly carb. Don't be afraid of it. They are usually pretty close out of the box. You can download basic calibrating instructions from edelbrock. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. I do use a vacuum gage mounted in the cab and monitor it while driving to get an idea of which step up springs to use.
The model number should be stamped on the front edge of the front left mounting flange. Magnetti-Mirelli (Weber USA) actually makes AFB's for both Edelbrock and Carter (Federal Mogul).
Good Luck!
Brett

Old 10-02-2003, 09:05 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Hey Brett, I can adjust the idle speed, no prob, but the afm screws are a different story. The instructions from Edelbrock say to rich the mixture until you get the best rpm. I did that but the rpm stays constant. Should I be turning to the lean mix first so that the rpms have a chance to change? It's as if there is no room for improvement. Maybe mine are already adjusted to where they should be. The instructions say to not turn any further once you have reached the best rpm. Thanks, John

Old 10-02-2003, 11:06 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
John

Some carb tuning is done seat of the pants. Adjusting for max idle vacuum is a good method. Another is to take the AFM screw in until the RPM begins to drop. Then back it out for max RPM and then about a quarter turn more. You'll have to go back and forth between the two AFM screws a couple times.

Also, the AFM circuit does next to nothing for anything other than idle. If you have any off idle issues, see the Edelbrock adjusting guidance to dial the carb in to your engine. It's a rodder friendly carb.

Good Luck

Old 10-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Thanks fenders, I'll give it a try. It is only the idle smoothness I am worrying about right now. It seems to run strong down the road. The idle was always a little rough and since I added the AC it is even worse. Thanks, John

Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Thanks fenders, I'll give it a try. It is only the idle smoothness I am worrying about right now. It seems to run strong down the road. The idle was always a little rough and since I added the AC it is even worse. Thanks, John

Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro

Old 10-02-2003, 07:02 PM
bhabben
Senior User
John,
What cam are you runnin'?
What size engine?
Do you have a vacuum gauge?
Adios,
Brett

Old 10-02-2003, 07:32 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Brett

Do you know if they make a kicker solenoid for John's carb? That would help alot with the AC. Surely a stock style solenoid would work but I'm not up on this carb too much.

Quick Reply: edelbrock carburetors