1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

[1980 F150 4.9 i6] Various Starting/Running/Idling Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 02:27 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
Again engine temp and exhaust manifold temp are not necessarily tied to each to each other.it was explained already. Engine operating temp (coolant) is regulated exhaust manifold temp is not.
Okay. But the Ford fully-electric choke cap isn't tied to engine temperature (coolant) either, is it?

If an exhaust manifold can lose heat when temperatures are cold enough, why would a Ford electric choke cap - that is powered by electricity - not suffer from those same temperatures?

And your point is ?
My point is, the last iteration of the carburetor on the F-Series trucks - Ford's best selling vehicle - still used a thermostatic choke with electric assist. Why wouldn't they have used a fully-electric choke, if it is more "precise?"

I would be very happy to replace my thermostatic choke, choke stove, and choke tubes for a Ford fully-electric choke, but you are not doing a very good job of convincing me that a Ford fully-electric choke is better than a thermostatic choke.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:50 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I don't like the fully-electric choke on my aftermarket Holley Truck Avenger carb, it seems to cool off faster than the actual engine does and will give me a fast idle on engine restart when it's been off for only a short amount of time.

IOW shut off a warmed-up engine for maybe 15 minutes and go restart it, it'll fast-idle as if it's warming up again; I hate that.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:12 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
Okay. But the Ford fully-electric choke cap isn't tied to engine temperature (coolant) either, is it?

If an exhaust manifold can lose heat when temperatures are cold enough, why would a Ford electric choke cap - that is powered by electricity - not suffer from those same temperatures?
Because they are basically air tight and were shielded against rad fan air flow. and are not made of metal but rather well insulating Bakelite/phenolic. See above pic of the 4100 Conversion see the shield in front of the choke assembly.
And as stated before they are closely matched to engine heat up.

My point is, the last iteration of the carburetor on the F-Series trucks - Ford's best selling vehicle - still used a thermostatic choke with electric assist. Why wouldn't they have used a fully-electric choke, if it is more "precise?"

You answered that question yourself.... it's a truck. The extra cost was not perceived as being a cost effective for the return or needed. Remember this was in the ere when trucks were still trucks and NOT an alternate type of Luxury vehicle. But when emissions in 86 were tighten they were used.

I would be very happy to replace my thermostatic choke, choke stove, and choke tubes for a Ford fully-electric choke, but you are not doing a very good job of convincing me that a Ford fully-electric choke is better than a thermostatic choke.

To be honest you have proven kinda thick in the past to grasp the basic's of most of this stuff.
And really how many times have you been right in your assumptions over this sort of stuff? So far zero.....
You got the information you can choose to believe it or not.
It's not my job to convince you one way or another.
So use it or don't use it I don't care either way.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:01 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,795 Posts
{stir the pot}How did the choke with the heater hose routed next to it work, any good?
Was this used with a full electric or asst. cap?{/stir pot}
Dave----

Old 02-18-2019, 05:42 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Because they are basically air tight and were shielded against rad fan air flow. and are not made of metal but rather well insulating Bakelite/phenolic. See above pic of the 4100 Conversion see the shield in front of the choke assembly.
And as stated before they are closely matched to engine heat up.
Okay, but are they close enough to eliminate the problem Franklin described above? I had the same problem when I had an aftermarket Holley carburetor - with an electric choke - on my own truck years ago. But again, I have never used Ford's fully-electric choke. I am sure it is better, but does it also have this problem?

My original Motorcraft 2150 and current Autolite 4100 both use a thermostatic choke (with electric assist) and the chokes do not reset and turn back on when they aren't needed like the aftermarket all-electric chokes do.

You answered that question yourself.... it's a truck. The extra cost was not perceived as being a cost effective for the return or needed. Remember this was in the ere when trucks were still trucks and NOT an alternate type of Luxury vehicle. But when emissions in 86 were tighten they were used.
Emissions?

I can believe that. That was probably the *only* reason they were used.

To be honest you have proven kinda thick in the past to grasp the basic's of most of this stuff.
And really how many times have you been right in your assumptions over this sort of stuff? So far zero.....
You got the information you can choose to believe it or not.
It's not my job to convince you one way or another.
So use it or don't use it I don't care either way.
You just can't resist being a JACKASS, can you?

Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
{stir the pot}How did the choke with the heater hose routed next to it work, any good?
Dave----
The heater hose routed against the choke cap was used in the 1960s. The idea was the heat from the heater hose would keep the choke open for as long as possible, so the choke wouldn't come back on if it wasn't needed. It worked pretty good, but the electric assist improved on that idea and was used in the 1970s and 1980s. The electric assist choke cap would open the choke up faster when temperatures were above 60 degrees or so. It also helped with emissions.

They were not used together.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:59 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,795 Posts
So you are saying the hose next to the cap used a full electric cap.

On the Holley choke, I have never had one work great, good maybe but you always had to tweak it thru out the year.
Now on some of the early cars that used Holley had the hose next to the choke cap and had a nice bracket to hold the hose.
I wonder if you were to replace the Holley cap with a Ford full electric one that Matt listed would work better?
Only Holley I have on a motor the choke works pretty good also uses hot air thru the intake cross over port.
Dave ----

Old 02-18-2019, 06:12 PM
ctubutis
C'mon, Rick, you *do* ask for it the way you antagonize people.

My 1970 Mustang 351W had the heater hose next to the choke cap, but I don't remember if it was also an electrically-assisted choke or not.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:12 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
No. The hose next to the cap used a thermostatic choke. The hose was used to warm up the thermostatic choke cap faster and keep the choke open longer when the engine is turned off and begins to cool down. The exhaust manifold will cool off sooner than the heater hose, so the heat generated from the heater hose will prevent the choke from unnecessarily choking the engine.

The later electric assist choke cap did the same thing at temperatures above 60 degrees.

On the Holley choke, I have never had one work great, good maybe but you always had to tweak it thru out the year.
Now on some of the early cars that used Holley had the hose next to the choke cap and had a nice bracket to hold the hose.
I wonder if you were to replace the Holley cap with a Ford full electric one that Matt listed would work better?
I would like to know the answer to that as well. In general, OEM Ford parts are better than anything aftermarket.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:14 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ctubutis
C'mon, Rick, you *do* ask for it the way you antagonize people.
Do I?

I only get that way when someone publicly disrespects me.

As far as I can tell, the only person who does that on these forums is Matthew.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:35 PM
ctubutis
Do I?

I only get that way when someone publicly disrespects me.

As far as I can tell, the only person who does that on these forums is Matthew.
You get that way whenever somebody tells you that you're wrong.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:11 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,681 Likes on 1,358 Posts
There are reasons they went to fuel injection. This is one of them.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:40 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ctubutis
You get that way whenever somebody tells you that you're wrong.
Really?

All this time, I didn't realize people were telling me I was wrong. (For the record, I was wrong once. I "thought" I was wrong, but it turns out I was actually RIGHT all along. )

Sorry, Matthew. It seems I have "antagonized" you for no reason at all. I "asked for it" when I asked you a question and then dared to challenge your opinion.

Apparently, the Ford electric choke is better than the Ford thermostatic choke in every way and *I* am the JACKASS for not understanding that. I should not have questioned your authority on the matter.

I will try to follow your example as a total gentleman and act accordingly the next time someone tells me I am wrong.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:44 PM
QuinnEskimo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to derail the choke talk - but can someone give me some thoughts on the metering rod/lifter assembly? I'm not totally confident I have the assembly put together right.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:39 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Dave----
They only relied on coolant temp to get the choke to come off. This set up "worked" as long as the cooling system was in good order but they were generally to slow to come off. They generally needed to be readjusted as part of the winter tune up this was usually part of the mait schedule outlined by Ford. . Some of the caps even had a winter and summer setting stamped right on them.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:29 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Okay, but are they close enough to eliminate the problem Franklin described above? I had the same problem when I had an aftermarket Holley carburetor - with an electric choke - on my own truck years ago. But again, I have never used Ford's fully-electric choke. I am sure it is better, but does it also have this problem?

If you are referring to this

"I have found the aftermarket electric chokes are VERY inconsistent. No matter how they are set, they seem to come off too fast, and they often choke the engine when it isn't needed"
They potentially were not adjusted properly and the older after market carbs with out a pull down were crap and no matter what you did they would never really work properly. It is the after market they are notorious for cutting corners. Holleys fitted as factory equipment do not have this issue with the ONLY difference in some cases being the choke cap actual.

My original Motorcraft 2150 and current Autolite 4100 both use a thermostatic choke (with electric assist) and the chokes do not reset and turn back on when they aren't needed like the aftermarket all-electric chokes do.
See above.

Emissions?

I can believe that. That was probably the *only* reason they were used.
Think long and hard about you just said ...... and engage common sense. Think about it how do you improve emissions? By more closely matching the fuel air ratio to actual engine requirements you end up with better and more consistent engine operation and in turn get lower emissions. So either you have no clue at all, or are just being an ***. So what is it ?

And it exactly the stuff like the last that leads to that. You act like know it all, when you know nothing ( I could forgive it if you actually knew what the hell you were talking about but you don't) and then effing argue about it when you don't have a GD clue. . I have ZERO patience for that BS or attitude you are not 6 years old, time to start acting like it. Don;t want to grow up, then don't whine when you get put on the spot for it..

Quick Reply: [1980 F150 4.9 i6] Various Starting/Running/Idling Problems