Outfitting new 2019 f450 for pulling - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 01:04 PM
grantrekker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outfitting new 2019 f450 for pulling - Suggestions?

New to the forum and to communicating in this manner so bear with me please. Suggestions and experienced advice welcome as I take delivery this week of a '19 f450 King Ranch that will be used to pull primarily an Arctic Fox 29.5K (35ft) 5er, various small trailers and a 20' Goosed Flatbed. I don't expect to exceed 16kGVW (3k pin) on the 5er and less than that on the goosed flatbed. I am moving up from a '14 F350 SRW short bed (3.55ratio) outfitted for pulling with the B&W Companion and the B&W Turnover. I plan to get the new Companion base to fit the factory installed tow system for the 5th wheel and the Kurt gooseneck ball. Of the 70k total miles on the '14 F350, 50k was logged pulling the mountains west of the Rockies and it did a great job but the rear end just had to be rebuilt (all bearing sets, ring and pinion were ok) so decided this was the time to upgrade.
Any suggested "must haves" or other considerations about the F450 as I outfit this truck (other than preparing to pay at the pump a bit more) would be much appreciated.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:46 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You sound experienced and have great taste in trucks! I'm not so sure I have much to offer, other than to install a tire pressure monitor system.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:32 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Congratulations!!! I too bought a new base from B&W when they changed styles even though my truck doesn't have the puck system. You will have to be careful though going to the F450 as it will be hard to see with that big of a grin on your face when you pull the rigs you've been pulling!

Old 12-30-2018, 10:05 PM
grantrekker
Freshman User
I just assummed.... TPMS. Darn, Well, that's one thing I didnt check on as part of the King Ultimate and Towing whatever package. Seems like it had everything else that a design engineer could think of (and that I will never be able to figure out). Good suggestion. Maybe it has one. If not, Point well taken and will get it done, maybe to include the larger trailer too. Thanks.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:10 PM
grantrekker
Freshman User
yeah, I suspect the only time the grin will be limited is when paying at the fuel station Thanks for the reply

Old 12-31-2018, 06:51 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,188 Likes on 683 Posts
That 450 will have no problems towing 16K pounds! Expect 9 mpg or so depending on speed and terrain and 14 to 16 mpg empty at highway speeds with the 4.30 gearing. They come with a 48 gallon tank so the loaded range should be close to 400 miles. Congrat's and can't wait to see some pics!!

Old 12-31-2018, 07:09 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grantrekker
I just assummed.... TPMS. Darn, Well, that's one thing I didnt check on as part of the King Ultimate and Towing whatever package. Seems like it had everything else that a design engineer could think of (and that I will never be able to figure out). Good suggestion. Maybe it has one. If not, Point well taken and will get it done, maybe to include the larger trailer too. Thanks.
Unless it has been changed for 2019 models, TPMS is not available on the F450. (Although I believe the trailer TPMS is supported.)

Old 01-04-2019, 06:01 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
If you like to drive long distance at one time you may be a little limited with even the 48 gal stock tank. I know that Titan has larger under belly or maybe an aux tank in the bed. I always hate getting to the 1/4 or below when I'm towing the 5th wheel and then hoping I can find a fuel stop that I can fit in before the wife has to grab a 5 gal jug and walk to the nearest pump and back. Just makes the rest the trip a little unpleasant.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:41 PM
cwtex04
Tuned
Received 140 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm also going the 450 route and have to decide on a 2019 or wait on the 2020 's . I will be pulling a Beacon in the 18-18.5 k range and will use the Reese Gooseball setup . Post pictures of your rig and any input on driving /towing impressions.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:29 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts
Sounds like a great setup. Should tow stock just fine! Get the 5th wheel hitch adapted, and pull away!
One thing you'll want to do is re-aim the headlights once you get it loaded and hooked up. On my '17 450, it squats just enough with 3k+ lbs in the bed to warrant lowering the lights a little. My first trip loaded I had to stop at sundown because every single vehicle in the other direction was flashing me (not the good way). Truck should have a 3" hitch with adapters, so existing ball mounts should work. I'd drive it for a trip or two before you worry about a new fuel tank, as 48 gals goes a long way (relatively).
TPMS not even an option on the 450s, so an external setup with Schrader valve adapters is nice (with extra transmitters for trailer tires), though not absolutely required.
Did you order with the 360 camera system? If so, go to NavTV.com and get their COD-F50 or F51. Absolutely worth the money as you can display the cameras while driving (like a rear view camera behind the trailer.) (If you're in western Washington you could come see the cam on mine if you want).
Enjoy!

Old 06-11-2019, 06:36 PM
grantrekker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cwtex04
I'm also going the 450 route and have to decide on a 2019 or wait on the 2020 's . I will be pulling a Beacon in the 18-18.5 k range and will use the Reese Gooseball setup . Post pictures of your rig and any input on driving /towing impressions.
Back in town and now logged 11k miles mostly on the western slope of the Continental Divide, with deviations to West Texas Big Bend Country and Mexico Border areas in Arizona. So, mostly mountain driving and getting used to the ride of the big hips. Impressions so far as to performance: Solid/ on the road except for the tire pulls of the Continental HSRs on rutted highway. The tires have not ceased to keep me in alert mode due to unintended and undesired lane change attempts (running 65# psi all around) as others have noted on this forum. It is nearly classified as dangerous and needs diligent driving attention. It doesn't seem to be a weight distribution issue as all axles have been weighed and are well within specs. with approx. 3500 on the centered pin. Complaint to the FMC Dealership resulted in an "oh, really?" response. The tires do not perform well in snow and I would certainly prefer to get the HDR rather than the HSR for my needs optional but this was not optional. The stiff HSR does deliver a harsh ride that is quite uncomfortable on rough roads and can cause axle hop that needs driver awareness. The bed box camera does not have the clarity of the other cameras and hitting the pin on hook up is therefore impaired (will refer this issue to dealer for review) . Average MPG is 9.5-11 when cruising @ 60 and deviates as expected with terrain and wind. Total average mpg to date has been 10.2 with 10k pulling miles out of 11.5k total. Much better than I expected. I religiously use a cetane boost supplement and can tell it really works as represented. I like the automatic brake downshift feature and it does reasonably well except for releasing from the downshifted gear when accelerating and I want to upshift. Transmission is smooth and shift points seem to perform well. Wonder how the 2020 10 speed will prove to perform. The wide upfront stance is noticeable and I now know that the front hub covers can be purchased for about $85 on Amazon and can be delivered next day. Turning radius is so nice compared to the F350. Braking ability is excellent and a great improvement over the F350 (which I rate as marginal when pulling 14000#).

Overall, a welcome upgrade to the 2014 F350SB for pulling stability and performance (other than tire issue which is significant) and no hesitation on recommending the F450.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:38 PM
grantrekker
Freshman User
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. Now back in the NW and will look into the camera you suggest. Truck has performed very well and am getting used to the wide hip feel.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:50 PM
grantrekker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cwtex04
Back in town and now logged 11k miles mostly on the western slope of the Continental Divide, with deviations to West Texas Big Bend Country and Mexico Border areas in Arizona. So, mostly mountain driving and getting used to the ride of the big hips. Impressions so far as to performance: Solid/ on the road except for the tire pulls of the Continental HSRs on rutted highway. The tires have not ceased to keep me in alert mode due to unintended and undesired lane change attempts (running 65# psi all around) as others have noted on this forum. It is nearly classified as dangerous and needs diligent driving attention. It doesn't seem to be a weight distribution issue as all axles have been weighed and are well within specs. with approx. 3500 on the centered pin. Complaint to the FMC Dealership resulted in an "oh, really?" response. The tires do not perform well in snow and I would certainly prefer to get the HDR rather than the HSR for my needs optional but this was not optional. The stiff HSR does deliver a harsh ride that is quite uncomfortable on rough roads and can cause axle hop that needs driver awareness. The bed box camera does not have the clarity of the other cameras and hitting the pin on hook up is therefore impaired (will refer this issue to dealer for review) . Average MPG is 9.5-11 when cruising @ 60 and deviates as expected with terrain and wind. Total average mpg to date has been 10.2 with 10k pulling miles out of 11.5k total. Much better than I expected. I religiously use a cetane boost supplement and can tell it really works as represented. I like the automatic brake downshift feature and it does reasonably well except for releasing from the downshifted gear when accelerating and I want to upshift. Transmission is smooth and shift points seem to perform well. Wonder how the 2020 10 speed will prove to perform. The wide upfront stance is noticeable and I now know that the front hub covers can be purchased for about $85 on Amazon and can be delivered next day. Turning radius is so nice compared to the F350. Braking ability is excellent and a great improvement over the F350 (which I rate as marginal when pulling 14000#).

Overall, a welcome upgrade to the 2014 F350SB for pulling stability and performance (other than tire issue which is significant) and no hesitation on recommending the F450.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:11 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,837 Likes on 2,780 Posts
I think you're not the only one to complain about the tires.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 PM
cwtex04
Tuned
Received 140 Likes on 68 Posts
Thanks for the update . I have read where some of the 450’s are being shipped with a more off road looking tire from Continental. I’m not sure about the tire model but maybe they have shifted to a different tire. We are now looking at New Horizons Majestic 5th wheel, so it will definitely be a 450 when we pull the trigger on the trailer. Maybe I can find a good deal on a 19 or maybe just wait on the 20’s to come out.

Quick Reply: Outfitting new 2019 f450 for pulling - Suggestions?