Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

Outfitting new 2019 f450 for pulling - Suggestions?

Notices

Old 12-30-2018, 01:04 PM
grantrekker
New User
grantrekker is starting off with a positive reputation.

New to the forum and to communicating in this manner so bear with me please. Suggestions and experienced advice welcome as I take delivery this week of a '19 f450 King Ranch that will be used to pull primarily an Arctic Fox 29.5K (35ft) 5er, various small trailers and a 20' Goosed Flatbed. I don't expect to exceed 16kGVW (3k pin) on the 5er and less than that on the goosed flatbed. I am moving up from a '14 F350 SRW short bed (3.55ratio) outfitted for pulling with the B&W Companion and the B&W Turnover. I plan to get the new Companion base to fit the factory installed tow system for the 5th wheel and the Kurt gooseneck ball. Of the 70k total miles on the '14 F350, 50k was logged pulling the mountains west of the Rockies and it did a great job but the rear end just had to be rebuilt (all bearing sets, ring and pinion were ok) so decided this was the time to upgrade.
Any suggested "must haves" or other considerations about the F450 as I outfit this truck (other than preparing to pay at the pump a bit more) would be much appreciated.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:46 PM
First Dually
Senior User
First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.
You sound experienced and have great taste in trucks! I'm not so sure I have much to offer, other than to install a tire pressure monitor system.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:32 PM
golfmedik
Post Fiend
golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Congratulations!!! I too bought a new base from B&W when they changed styles even though my truck doesn't have the puck system. You will have to be careful though going to the F450 as it will be hard to see with that big of a grin on your face when you pull the rigs you've been pulling!

Old 12-30-2018, 10:05 PM
grantrekker
New User
I just assummed.... TPMS. Darn, Well, that's one thing I didnt check on as part of the King Ultimate and Towing whatever package. Seems like it had everything else that a design engineer could think of (and that I will never be able to figure out). Good suggestion. Maybe it has one. If not, Point well taken and will get it done, maybe to include the larger trailer too. Thanks.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:10 PM
grantrekker
New User
yeah, I suspect the only time the grin will be limited is when paying at the fuel station Thanks for the reply

Old 12-31-2018, 06:51 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud of
That 450 will have no problems towing 16K pounds! Expect 9 mpg or so depending on speed and terrain and 14 to 16 mpg empty at highway speeds with the 4.30 gearing. They come with a 48 gallon tank so the loaded range should be close to 400 miles. Congrat's and can't wait to see some pics!!

Old 12-31-2018, 07:09 PM
First Dually
Senior User
First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by grantrekker View Post
I just assummed.... TPMS. Darn, Well, that's one thing I didnt check on as part of the King Ultimate and Towing whatever package. Seems like it had everything else that a design engineer could think of (and that I will never be able to figure out). Good suggestion. Maybe it has one. If not, Point well taken and will get it done, maybe to include the larger trailer too. Thanks.
Unless it has been changed for 2019 models, TPMS is not available on the F450. (Although I believe the trailer TPMS is supported.)

Old 01-04-2019, 06:01 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
If you like to drive long distance at one time you may be a little limited with even the 48 gal stock tank. I know that Titan has larger under belly or maybe an aux tank in the bed. I always hate getting to the 1/4 or below when I'm towing the 5th wheel and then hoping I can find a fuel stop that I can fit in before the wife has to grab a 5 gal jug and walk to the nearest pump and back. Just makes the rest the trip a little unpleasant.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:41 PM
cwtex04
Junior User
cwtex04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm also going the 450 route and have to decide on a 2019 or wait on the 2020 's . I will be pulling a Beacon in the 18-18.5 k range and will use the Reese Gooseball setup . Post pictures of your rig and any input on driving /towing impressions.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:29 PM
nuctrooper
Elder User
nuctrooper has a good reputation on FTE.nuctrooper has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like a great setup. Should tow stock just fine! Get the 5th wheel hitch adapted, and pull away!
One thing you'll want to do is re-aim the headlights once you get it loaded and hooked up. On my '17 450, it squats just enough with 3k+ lbs in the bed to warrant lowering the lights a little. My first trip loaded I had to stop at sundown because every single vehicle in the other direction was flashing me (not the good way). Truck should have a 3" hitch with adapters, so existing ball mounts should work. I'd drive it for a trip or two before you worry about a new fuel tank, as 48 gals goes a long way (relatively).
TPMS not even an option on the 450s, so an external setup with Schrader valve adapters is nice (with extra transmitters for trailer tires), though not absolutely required.
Did you order with the 360 camera system? If so, go to NavTV.com and get their COD-F50 or F51. Absolutely worth the money as you can display the cameras while driving (like a rear view camera behind the trailer.) (If you're in western Washington you could come see the cam on mine if you want).
Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.