2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Problems Ordering Fifth Wheel Prep package!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 08:38 AM
Douglasmatthewc
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems Ordering Fifth Wheel Prep package!!!

I have been trying to order the Fifth wheel hitch prep package Part #: HC3Z5F057B ( gooseneck ) . The one that has the puck system under the bed . I have already made two orders that have been cancelled by Ford due to back order ( unavailability) . Has anyone else had problems or know what I can do to get this kit ? It seems ridiculous that a part being put on new vehicles is unavailable! I ordered through the dealership and also from Parts.ford.com .. I have had problems since the beginning of November trying to get this part ? They already sold me and sent me the actual hitch made by Reese but it does me no good since the other part isn’t available.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:03 AM
Mlambert22
Senior User
Why don't you order the REESE Elite 30886 part?
http://www.reeseprod.com/fit-guides-fifthwheel

or look into a B&W hitch, it has all the benefits of being a under bed hitch as well

Old 12-27-2018, 11:13 AM
Douglasmatthewc
5th Wheeling
I have a 2017 and the frame is different than the 2016s so that product won’t work with my truck .. . I looked into aftermarket like the ones you mentioned but they won’t work with my fifth wheel as I have an orbital fifthwheel so I either have to go with the puck system or the originals with the rails in the bed which I don’t want too do . I wish it was that easy lol

Old 12-27-2018, 11:21 AM
Mlambert22
Senior User
the 30886 from Reese says it will work on my '18 so i would expect it to work on a 17..
Contact the guys at B&W directly or go to Etrailer and they should be able to get you options

Old 12-27-2018, 11:30 AM
Douglasmatthewc
5th Wheeling
I’ll call them again but I spoke with Reese ( horizon ) and they said they don’t make anything for my truck like that yet . The make the fifth wheel but not the kit for under the bed . .. already called B&H and the underbed kit will fit on my truck but the hitch won’t work with my obital fifth wheel .. that’s the problem there

Old 12-27-2018, 11:33 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
Anyone know the cost on the B&W and does the bed need to be removed?

I am assuming reading above the one off my 2011 F250 I’m selling won’t fit.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:48 AM
Douglasmatthewc
5th Wheeling
Hey where did you see the Reese 30886 product . I can’t seem to find it on their site

Old 12-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Mlambert22
Senior User
Originally Posted by Douglasmatthewc
I’ll call them again but I spoke with Reese ( horizon ) and they said they don’t make anything for my truck like that yet . The make the fifth wheel but not the kit for under the bed . .. already called B&H and the underbed kit will fit on my truck but the hitch won’t work with my obital fifth wheel .. that’s the problem there
I'm not sure why Reese (cequent) would tell you that as they are the ones that make the Ford and Ram OEM kit, the number i gave you came directly off their site..
Is the "orbital" hitch you are describing on the king pin of the trailer?
I would assume that any base would fit the king pin, I have never heard of a king pin dictating what base you can have

Old 12-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Spence144db
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mlambert22
Why don't you order the REESE Elite 30886 part?
Reese

or look into a B&W hitch, it has all the benefits of being a under bed hitch as well
I second this ^^^ my 450 did not come with fifth wheel prep (why in the heck you would build a truck like this is beyond me) but I when the BW route. I installed it myself and didn't even have to take off the bed. The build quality seems better than stock and I run a anderson hitch on the goose ball in the bed towing the combo in my sig. I love the set up as leave the anderson hitch in the back of the trailer and it takes 30 seconds to put in and out and I have my entire bed still to haul day to day items.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Douglasmatthewc
5th Wheeling
So I did find the part. Seems to be a new addition. That will work . Now to just find someone that is actually selling the part as it just became available. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:36 PM
Douglasmatthewc
5th Wheeling
Its not the king pin that is dictating the fifth wheel its the manufactures of the fifth wheel hitch dictating that it cannot work with the orbital pin box. B&W states you cannot use an orbital pin box with their system. The reason is that since the orbital pin box turning point is behind the head it puts stress on the system and it has a potential to spin in the bed of the truck. I was close too purchasing that particular one but found out it wouldnt work.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:42 PM
Mlambert22
Senior User
Originally Posted by Douglasmatthewc
Its not the king pin that is dictating the fifth wheel its the manufactures of the fifth wheel hitch dictating that it cannot work with the orbital pin box. B&W states you cannot use an orbital pin box with their system. The reason is that since the orbital pin box turning point is behind the head it puts stress on the system and it has a potential to spin in the bed of the truck. I was close too purchasing that particular one but found out it wouldnt work.
Are you using a fifth wheel or a goose neck?

Old 12-27-2018, 01:00 PM
Douglasmatthewc
5th Wheeling
Using a fifth wheel but instead of a standard pin box its a orbital pin box. so it limits the hitches I can use.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:04 PM
Douglasmatthewc
5th Wheeling
From the B& W Manufacture

Can I use a wedge device with my Companion 5th wheel hitch?

A wedge and pin box coupler should not be used with Companion and Companion slider which both mount using the Turnoverball under bed mounting system. The forces generated at that single attachment point by a wedge device can damage the hitch and cause it to fail.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:08 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Man I have the same problem getting the factory puck system......

what at is the Reese part? I know they make it for Ford but I don’t see the option from them

Quick Reply: Problems Ordering Fifth Wheel Prep package!!!