2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Is this a feature?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 11:10 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Is this a feature?

Was sitting here having my morning tea as a little Seattle rain started falling. Within a minute the truck alarm starts going off. I check to make sure the kids aren't playing with the remote. Nope, not that. I look out in the drive and the moonroof is about a 1/4 open. I forgot to close it yesterday after a shockingly sunny winter day here.

Fortunately, the interior only had a little bit of water. Just droplets all about. Nothing to worry about at all. Is it just coincidence that the alarm went off or is the rain sensor somehow tied into the window/moonroof system to warn you that it's raining and your moon roof is open?

Dumb luck, or smart design?

Old 12-26-2018, 11:26 AM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw
Was sitting here having my morning tea as a little Seattle rain started falling. Within a minute the truck alarm starts going off. I check to make sure the kids aren't playing with the remote. Nope, not that. I look out in the drive and the moonroof is about a 1/4 open. I forgot to close it yesterday after a shockingly sunny winter day here.

Fortunately, the interior only had a little bit of water. Just droplets all about. Nothing to worry about at all. Is it just coincidence that the alarm went off or is the rain sensor somehow tied into the window/moonroof system to warn you that it's raining and your moon roof is open?

Theres no rain alarm but it’s possible some raindrops set off the motion sensors I guess. I think you got lucky this time.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:55 AM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
C'mon Ford, why cant you put in the "rain sensing auto closing sun roof" feature that my 25 year old Yugo has!

Old 12-26-2018, 12:01 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyE

Theres no rain alarm but it’s possible some raindrops set off the motion sensors I guess. I think you got lucky this time.

After checking out the owners manual online, that is the conclusion I came to as well. The rain was enough to set of the motion alarm. Lucky day for me! Could have been a disaster.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:21 PM
DRKBC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes those sensors are located on the overhead consule very close to the sunroofs opening. I also am mindful to turn them off when I am leaving the dog in the car, more than once I have left the car with dog inside and just as I am walking away the alarm goes off and I think to myself, dummy.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:35 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is is possible to totally disable the alarm system using the dash-control panel (not Forscan) [or using Forscan?] ? Thank you...

Old 12-26-2018, 01:36 PM
Mlambert22
Senior User
Smile

Originally Posted by xxxsherpa
C'mon Ford, why cant you put in the "rain sensing auto closing sun roof" feature that my 25 year old Yugo has!
as someone who owned a YUGO I'm calling BS here... still funny though

Old 12-26-2018, 01:43 PM
Spence144db
Junior User
as a PLC programmer I too find it ridiculous that the truck all ready has 100% of the hardware needed to make this a reality. If your truck already had auto wipers why cant the rain on the wind shield not just close all the widows automatically?? Its nothing more than a few thousand key strokes of some code to make this happen. Ford would not have to even add more parts cost to the truck...

Old 12-26-2018, 02:45 PM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts
While camped in New Mexico last fall, one evening I locked the truck for the evening. During the early A.M. hours my truck alarm went off. I fell out of my RV, ball bat in hand and nothing. Shut off the alarm, re-locked the doors and back to bed. Just dozing off, alarm goes off again, out the door bat in hand - nothing. Reset, back to the rack. A little later, alarm on again. This time I just unlocked to doors and turned over. Next morning, I go out to the truck, open the drivers door and out flew a "giant" moth! Must have flew into the truck during the day while the windows were open. At least the moth didn't steal anything.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:04 PM
ForeverFixing
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Surely an auto closing window or sunroof would end up with a jackpot lawsuit for someone who got stuck in a closing window.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:04 PM
12Farmer
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spence144db
as a PLC programmer I too find it ridiculous that the truck all ready has 100% of the hardware needed to make this a reality. If your truck already had auto wipers why cant the rain on the wind shield not just close all the widows automatically?? Its nothing more than a few thousand key strokes of some code to make this happen. Ford would not have to even add more parts cost to the truck...
Agree with what you said, but those few extra lines of code probably would have meant the non-volatile storage component would have increased to the next larger size, meaning extra $$ in Flash memory size. Does seem silly though.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:21 PM
Mixerman90
Senior User
Originally Posted by ForeverFixing
Surely an auto closing window or sunroof would end up with a jackpot lawsuit for someone who got stuck in a closing window.
That was my thought too. It's sad that we've been "programmed" to think this way. I prefer to keep lawyers out of it and let Darwin do his magic.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:56 PM
GetMuddy
Freshman User
What came to my mine was:

"No Officer, I really did not roll the window up on you. It did it automatically because it started to rain."

Old 12-27-2018, 07:05 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Many RVs have a feature like this for their ceiling air vents/fans. It’s not even expensive to do. Add an anti pinch feature like door windows and you have a smart feature.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:29 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw

The two motion sensors on the overhead console set off the alarm so now you know they`re working properly.

Quick Reply: Is this a feature?