General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ppsd

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ppsd

I’ve uncovered another conspiracy. This time, it’s the dogs. Here’s what has been happening: Today was a Saturday like any other during the growing season. I go outside, clean up the yard and cut the lawn. In the process of cutting the lawn, my dog does the dreaded PPSD (Post Poop Scoop Defecation). She always does it after I’ve put the shovel away AND on the part of the lawn that I haven’t cut yet. Lest you think this is a trivial matter, I’ve got an 85 lb. Dobie who can leave quite a mound. Plus, the mound is not dry and hard, making complete removal difficult. This is not a learned behavior, as my dog has done this since a pup. My beagle did this as well, so it’s not dependent on breed.

This has got me to some serious thinking. This behavior soundly refutes the theory of evolution unless someone can provide a good answer to the following question: Over the tens of thousands of years of the evolutionary process, how has this behavior ensured the survival of the species? It seems like it would do the opposite. One of the basic principles of evolution is that a species’ behavior and traits let it to adapt and survive, otherwise it would become extinct. But, for the life of me, I can’t see how this piece fits into the evolutionary puzzle.

I don’t want to start up the debate of creation vs. evolution, I just want someone to give a good answer to the question above. I think the answer to the question will speak to whether or not the theory of evolution is valid.

Old 09-28-2003, 12:26 AM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's almost too funny to give a serious answer. In fact, I can't think of any logical reason as to why your dogs poo on the un-cut grass.

What guess I would hazard is this: Your dogs are doing it just to get a few laughs. See how frustrated you get when they do the things they do, and know you still love them. I'm sure they can be trained to do otherwise, but, just to get a few laughs, they will do it again.

Think about this: take your truck to a mechanic when it acts up, and it doesn't do it for the mechanic, and when you leave, it acts up again. The dog may do the same thing after it is trained. You show him off to your buddies saying "Look he doesn't poo on the uncut grass anymore" and then he goes and does it in front of your buddies. Any other time, he's fine.

My dog absolutely does not poo in the house. The second he arrives at my buddy's house (just ONE house out of the 15 or so he has been to) he drops a fresh steamer in his living room. Every time. The ONLY house he does that in.

Dogs are just one of those things that think they are people, and love being the center of attention. My dog right this second is trying to get my attention with a squeaky toy. I better go play with him for a while.

Old 09-28-2003, 04:11 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I find that dogs like to pinch a log on other peoples property and maybe he thinks you only own the mowed part. We(I) have always lived where there is plenty of room and none of my dogs ever crap in my yard. It is always in the vacant lot next door or out on the back of the lot. Whenever friends with dogs come to visit the first thing the dog does is leave a big steamer and always where you are most likely to step in it. These dogs don't do that at home.
Why don't you just leave a small unmowed portion of yard for poo-poo land?