bored out????

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 11:20 PM
srm148
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bored out????

thanks for all the input on the valves. it helped. but now, I took off my heads to replace the head gaskets, and I see this 060 stamped on the top of each piston! does this mean it is bored 60 over? if so, will this affect the cam I have for it. should I go bigger if so? or, am I jumping the gun and this could just be some aftermarket pistons with some casting stamp on it! I sure appreciate ya'lls help with my questions!!!

Old 09-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
If the top of the piston has 060 on it it's bored 60 over. It won't have anything to do with the cam.

Old 09-27-2003, 11:48 PM
srm148
New User
from what I have been reading, if it is bored that much over, it is not a good thing. it blows no smoke, but lacks serious power. I was just suprised to see it bored out. I just got a mild cam to put in it. so, should I maybe go a little bigger? any ideas now? I was just doing a basic rebuild. now what?

Old 09-28-2003, 12:40 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like its time to replace the block, 60 over is the max for almost all engines. And if it's a 302 then that is gettin pretty thin on the cylinder walls.

Old 09-28-2003, 08:15 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
You know 60 over is well past the recommended 30 that most people into fords would rather not go past. However, you have it and I guess it is in running order (piston rings shortblock are in good condition, I take it from your post you are haveing head problems) and doesn't overheat. If that is the case then throwing performance parts at it shouldn't hurt, even if it does go south more likely than not you can reuse the parts you install. If your compression were higher then you might consider a different cam not necessarily bigger as compression has to work in line with the cam to get the end result you want. In your case it only means your block was bored 60 the compression will be a little different from stock but nothing to worry about or make any difference. boreing and engine does two things true up the cylinder walls and give you maybe 5 hp in the process, so in reality it straightens the cylinder walls. I don't know what cam you have installed, was it recommended from a manufactuer or one you selected? In reality a cam from a manufactuer might give you a minimum 5-10 hp/tq over your cam selection but when you cosider it could be across the entire rpm curve and the characteristic of the cam would be more in your favor as in when the power comes on it is probably worth it. Good luck with your engine, hope this helps you out some

Last edited by jwtaylor; 09-28-2003 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:18 AM
srm148
New User
I really wasnt having head problems. I thought I was, but it was checked and no leaks or valve problems. I still have good compression, and it doesnt blow any smoke. so, should I be concerned about replacing the block? the cam I have is a Comp Cam, with new lifters. it is a little over stock. nothing huge. does anyone foresee this block lasting me awhile longer?? of should I start looking for another one?

Old 09-28-2003, 01:10 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
The guy at the machine shop I go to says he has bored 351w 60 over. This motor has ran in a braket car for two years with no problems.

Old 09-28-2003, 03:55 PM
FoMoCo136
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And it will run in a braket motor, The problem with going .060 over standard is overheating on the street. Have your machine shop guy check the bore and pistons to see if it will have the correct piston to wall clearance and go from there. If it is too large you will use oil and eventually break the skirts on the pistons if it is too much. If all looks good from there you will be ingood shape.

Old 09-28-2003, 09:34 PM
fordzman
Freshman User
i have a 60 over windsor that i'm putting in my truck pretty soon and i have run both 351 and 302 40 and 60 over and have had no over heating probs. if it does for some reason get hot, check your cooling system to be sure everything is good(thermostat,hoses,radiator) and if you want put an electric fan on it. it helps!

Old 09-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
Fordzman have you towed anything with the 60 over motor. My block is at the shop now he is going to try for 40 over. If that don't get it I will go 60 over but don't know about towing with it.

Old 09-28-2003, 09:56 PM
fordzman
Freshman User
no, but i hear about this over heating problem alot and i have no problems,towing i'm sure about but with the proper cooling system it should be fine....my brother in law as a 40 over windsor, drives it every day and pulls car trailor and has no problems with over heating. it's in a 85 bronco.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:12 PM
srm148
New User
thanks for all the input. I am now putting the heads back on, and posted that as well. I cant tell you how much this site has helped me. major thanks!!!!!!!

Old 09-29-2003, 11:56 PM
borin&strokin
Senior User
60 over is OK for most engines. Not much more, though. I have seen some chebbys go .125 and last a lot of HARD miles on the street. Don't sweat it, even for towing. Like Fordz said, just make sure your cooling system is functioning and RUNNING PROPERLY, give it a good tune up, and run it like a scalded dog. I have NEVER seen a motor overheat just because it was punched 60. I just wouldn't generally expect them to last as long as virgin (I LOVE virgins ). Nothing significantly less, though. All the overheats I have EVER seen is 1) Timing 2) Cooling system deficencies 3) Mixture 4)combination of them.

DONT FRET IT and Cheers.

Old 10-01-2003, 07:17 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i have a 060. 302 with hypereutectic speedpro pistons and a 280 cam and a bunch of other goodies. i have a 3 core radiator with 2 tranny coolers, a c6 no fan shroud and no therno but i am going to put those on it though. it does not overheat and i run it for hours at a time sometimes

Old 10-02-2003, 07:02 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
f100guy
Didn't you have a post recently about how you where overheating? A fan shroud would do wonders for cooling your engine, and will not hurt performance in any way. The fan creates a suction more or less of air using the fan shroud, doesn't work effectively without the shroud. I was wondering can you do a sound clip of your truck, I would like to hear it? Later

Quick Reply: bored out????