1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

6 to 12 volt

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 08:02 PM
ziggy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 6 to 12 volt

although a new user, i have been quietly watching you guys from the sidelines for some time and usually find any answers i need by reading the forum . now i could use a little help directly.
i'm in the process of converting my 52 f1 from 6 to 12 volts and following the advise from earlier posts i think i can handle it. however i do have 2 questions.
1. can i remove the armature and field windings from the 12 volt generator and install them in the housing of the 6 volt generator ?
2. if i use a high performance coil will it cause my [v8] flathead to run hotter ?

Old 09-27-2003, 09:24 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
With the generator, it's going to depend on what exactly the generator came off of. The easiest way to find out for sure is to take them both apart. The field windings probably won't be a problem if it's off a mid-late 50's Ford, but the armature is a toss up. And no, your engine could care less what kind of ignition coil you've got so long as it's wired up right and working. It has nothing to do with engine temperature whatsoever.

Old 09-27-2003, 09:35 PM
sosotwo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the easy way is to take your 6 volt gen off and go to a wrecking yard and pick up a 12 volt one wire gm altenator. grind off the ears were it mounts and very soon it will all most fit were your 6 volt gen. sat before. now if you make a little longer hold down bracket we are almost done, the puleys will switch no problem just remember to put in the spacer.
hook the big lead on the back of the alt to the battery and one of the two leads on the plug to 12 volts pos,
not to sure witch one but maybe some one else can help you out on that one.
it should mount up in the same place as the gen did and it will charge and regulate like this .
i have been running my 48 like this for a while now and no problems
hope this helps