1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I want to put power steering in my '50 F47

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:21 PM
Cobravii
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to put power steering in my '50 F47

Like the title reads I want to put power steering in my '50 Ford F47 (F1). I has the straight axle and the flathead still. I will be using a Flaming River steering column.

What are your ideas?

Larry

Old 12-11-2018, 11:00 PM
mcbrine
Cross-Country
Hi Larry I Have a 1950 f 47 also and im looking at Toyota power steering box seems what people use ,Im curious what everyone else says as i may change my mind .You have any pictures of your 50

Old 12-11-2018, 11:03 PM
Cobravii
Junior User
LOL...... I have a few. I don't know if any will help you but here you go.....

https://www.facebook.com/larry.loren...5495213&type=3

Old 12-12-2018, 11:36 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobravii
LOL...... I have a few. I don't know if any will help you but here you go.....

https://www.facebook.com/larry.loren...5495213&type=3
Looks like we need to be NBFF's before we can view the photos. lol.
With the original flathead, the mod of choice has been Toyota.
I am running a 5.0L in my F47 so I have that pump to my MII front end.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Cobravii
Junior User
I've made it public, you can see them now :-)

Old 12-13-2018, 11:26 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobravii
I've made it public, you can see them now :-)
Edit : Nice work on your project, a nice tribute to your dad's vision.

I not the most savvy when it comes to computers but the photos don't allow viewing unless I send a friend request?

I did a quick search, using toyota power steering . There are lots who have done this conversion. Try this for a starting point: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-possible.html

Old 12-13-2018, 08:56 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 625 Likes on 333 Posts

I have a complete Electric Power Assist Steering booster set-up that I pulled from a 2007 Saturn Vue at a local junkyard.
My plan is to install it in the F3 once I get the truck on the road and have spare time to begin the project. For now the stock manual steering is pretty tight and adequate.
It will take some fabricating to get it installed under the dash and adapted to the stock steering shaft. There is hardly any information available from someone who has already done this before on a '48-'52 truck.
If anyone here has done this upgrade and is reading this, maybe they can post their results and experience?
Tom

Old 12-15-2018, 10:04 PM
electricmaniac
Mountain Pass
Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Biggest problem with Flathead V8 is where to hang power steering pump.
I wanted a more "original looking" application, so I replaced the entire fan hub assembly with a GM Type II power steering pump.
Except for a hose or two and the remote reservoir (which looks like it belongs there), Flathead still has its clean simple look.
Need to fabricate flat bracket (easy), need to fabricate pulley (not easy).
Road draft tube tends to get in the way. I wanted to replace mine with PCV valve anyway, one less oil drip in garage
I used new lighter weight fan. (6 blade like original)
If you are using electric fan, the pulley fabrication is easier, but still a challenge - needs to line up with crank pulley and that takes some offset back over pump.
I tried to market the system to all the usual suspects, but as much as I love America, ran into one of the things corporate America does best = NIH = Not Invented Here.
If I was to do this again, I would probably go for an electric steer. Not a whole lot of applications out there, and therefore the guys doing it are somewhat pioneers. (Sort of like pioneering fan hub replacement with power steering pump.)
One of the first out there for electric steer was Fitzback garage in French Quebec. On the internet to view products. English is owners second language.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:57 PM
Cobravii
Junior User
Originally Posted by electricmaniac
Biggest problem with Flathead V8 is where to hang power steering pump.
I wanted a more "original looking" application, so I replaced the entire fan hub assembly with a GM Type II power steering pump.
Except for a hose or two and the remote reservoir (which looks like it belongs there), Flathead still has its clean simple look.
Need to fabricate flat bracket (easy), need to fabricate pulley (not easy).
Road draft tube tends to get in the way. I wanted to replace mine with PCV valve anyway, one less oil drip in garage
I used new lighter weight fan. (6 blade like original)
If you are using electric fan, the pulley fabrication is easier, but still a challenge - needs to line up with crank pulley and that takes some offset back over pump.
I tried to market the system to all the usual suspects, but as much as I love America, ran into one of the things corporate America does best = NIH = Not Invented Here.
If I was to do this again, I would probably go for an electric steer. Not a whole lot of applications out there, and therefore the guys doing it are somewhat pioneers. (Sort of like pioneering fan hub replacement with power steering pump.)
One of the first out there for electric steer was Fitzback garage in French Quebec. On the internet to view products. English is owners second language.

Do you have any pics of yours? I was thinking of using a ford style pump that slides on the bracket for adjustment and running off the bottom pulley but I am interested to see what you did.

cheers,
Larry

Old 12-16-2018, 10:37 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I went ahead and installed the Toyota p/s box. I used the mounting bracket from Mid Fifties, it worked but needed a little modification to mount properly. I think I can remember it came with sparse instructions. I used a (ham can) Saginaw power steering pump. I design and fabricate the bracket to mount it to the cylinder head pre tapped bolt holes.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:35 AM
Cobravii
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mervy49
I went ahead and installed the Toyota p/s box. I used the mounting bracket from Mid Fifties, it worked but needed a little modification to mount properly. I think I can remember it came with sparse instructions. I used a (ham can) Saginaw power steering pump. I design and fabricate the bracket to mount it to the cylinder head pre tapped bolt holes.
Do you have any pics?

thanks,
Larry

Old 12-17-2018, 01:06 AM
electricmaniac
Mountain Pass
It will help if you are viewing your own motor from these same angles, more or less, and use upper radiator pipes, generator, etc as orientation.
First picture from Drivers side. Note shiny round disk - That is where road draft tube used to be, now PCV valve.
Second picture close up of first. These pics were not taken with purpose of showing power steering, they were for something else.
And sadly, I have no pics of assembly. Fan shroud will need to come off to be able to assemble.
Third and fourth pics from passenger side.
Hard to see that much, but then that was the point, that it would look like stock to the average guy.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:27 AM
electricmaniac
Mountain Pass
I've seen on a post or in a magazine where someone used a Ford Power Steering Pump on a Flathead like you want to do.
The idea was just to do it to show that it could be done if someone absolutely needed to have all Ford parts.
Not the easiest way to get a pump attached.
As I recall, pump and custom fabricated bracket were mounted lower, like way low, maybe using water pump mount??
Usually GM Saginaw pump (mine is a type II) is mounted using head bolts.
I wanted to keep my stock column, but since you are using non stock Flaming River column to begin with, I would seriously check out and learn all about electric steer.
One thing to keep in mind - finding a wide belt pulley for your pump (assuming yours is a truck Flathead with wide pulleys) is hard to do. I could not find one.
Flaming River sells a Pump and Pulley setup, but no brackets for Flathead. No wide pulley either.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:12 AM
Cobravii
Junior User
Thanks for all the awesome input guys. I have decided to to go with the adapter kit from mid fifty and a Toyota steering box.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:58 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I apologize for t

t

he delay, here is a pic. Not a very good though. I have several more pics step by step but they are in my main computor is storage.

Quick Reply: I want to put power steering in my '50 F47