2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Antenna bracket

Old 12-16-2018, 06:56 AM
alabamatoy
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZAR2USA
Or you could have just bought one already available....many different choices already.....

$138.54
That's an extreme price, based on what I have invested in my design. I have a hour or two of CAD, a few $ worth of materials and if powder coated, about another $20 (which will probably be much lower per item if I do quantity). Also, Larson wants an extreme shipping cost, it was just shy of $200 total.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:41 PM
futonpimp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ll take one once available ! (I have the led 3rd light and a camera)

Old 01-04-2019, 07:43 AM
deljohnson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is awesome! Please let me know when I can order one w/ camera.

Do you have any pictures showing antennas installed? Wire routing to the inside?

Thanks,
-- Del

Old 01-04-2019, 09:05 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by alabamatoy
That's an extreme price, based on what I have invested in my design. I have a hour or two of CAD, a few $ worth of materials and if powder coated, about another $20 (which will probably be much lower per item if I do quantity). Also, Larson wants an extreme shipping cost, it was just shy of $200 total.
I looked st Larson almost two years ago for my 2016 F-150. Their price with shipping is just plain gouging. They should painfully go out of business. I despise companies that pull that crap.
Since, I bought a Q/D base for my firestik, and plan on bolting it through the driver's side cowl ahead of the windshield. Another member did this, and it looks factory and is an easy removal.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:25 PM
PackerBacker_TX
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about my 2017 F-250. With an aluminum body, you can't stick anything magnetic to it. Great job on the fabrication and placement! but I'd be concerned about clearance issues after that. Why not just install a hood bracket mount and use a tunable fiberglass antenna for CB? You can have a solid mount, a tall enough antenna for range with good SWR and it won't impede on height.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:20 AM
alabamatoy
Mountain Pass
Its done, mounted etc.

We mounted this on a truck with the LED lights (like mine) but with the camera, and had to make a small adjustment. Gotta love CAD. Quck adjustment in CAD, cut a new one on the plasma, and its fits fine on the camera version as well. I think in the final version we will separate the antenna holes a bit further, they seem too close in this version, but it works fine. Probably biases the center ham antenna a bit with a minimal Yagi effect. Full disclosure, it makes a slight bit of wind-noise at high speed, but its not bad.

We are looking for a good way to cut out the closed-cell foam weatherseal. I cut them by hand right now, PITA.

Originally Posted by PackerBacker_TX
Why not just install a hood bracket mount and use a tunable fiberglass antenna for CB?
I have used several hood/trunk mounts over the years, and every one left a brutal scar on the metal when removed. The action of the antenna wobbling back and forth wears away the paint and leaves a nasty scar. Also, you tend to have to put them fairly far out on the hood or they tend to hit the cab when you open the hood.

I frankly dont care much about the CB, its very secondary to me. My 4X4 club requires the CB for club events, so I have a CB. Otherwise, its pretty useless unless you want to sharpen your 4-letter-word skills.

The height is not an issue for me, I havent been in a parking garage in many years. The ham antenna will actually fold over, leaving only the base coil, and its not hard to unscrew either antenna which puts you back down to about the same height as the running lights and Sirius/GPS antenna from the factory.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:42 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
is there no better way to route the cable?

Old 01-21-2019, 08:00 AM
alabamatoy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bushpilot
is there no better way to route the cable?
Better as in what? More hidden from view? The cable must connect to the individual antenna mount and find its way into the cab within limited radius bends. Also, you want a "drip loop" to some extent to minimize capillary effect of water trying to find its way in, so you dont want to route them in from the top of the assembly. I routed the two coaxes between the added plate and the cab with 1/4" foam as a seal between the two. Saturday we got close to 2" rain on the truck, and Im not getting any intrusion that I can find.

Putting such antennas on your vehicle dictates that you get over the ugly antenna factor. They are not pretty, and theres not much to be done to make them so. I plan to put a cap on mine before long, so the whole assembly will be largely hidden from view.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:55 AM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Better as in what? More hidden from view? The cable must connect to the individual antenna mount and find its way into the cab within limited radius bends. Also, you want a "drip loop" to some extent to minimize capillary effect of water trying to find its way in, so you dont want to route them in from the top of the assembly. I routed the two coaxes between the added plate and the cab with 1/4" foam as a seal between the two. Saturday we got close to 2" rain on the truck, and Im not getting any intrusion that I can find.

Putting such antennas on your vehicle dictates that you get over the ugly antenna factor. They are not pretty, and theres not much to be done to make them so. I plan to put a cap on mine before long, so the whole assembly will be largely hidden from view.
understand the drip loop and radius - maybe w/ a 45* it could trace along the light and enter more to the side instead of right in the middle?

Old 07-01-2019, 06:18 AM
alabamatoy
Mountain Pass
duplicate message deleted, but this forum seems unwilling to let me delete it.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:28 PM
bertscw
Mountain Pass
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
the time you quoted if you use very conservative estimates of CAD and machine time cost... like $120 an hour you are at well over $200. Powder coating is pricey in short runs too. I bet they don't sell a ton of those but the price seems fair. Nobody wants to work for free.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:53 PM
Straightgrain
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I Like It; how much?

I think it's a job well done and I would buy one if the price is reasonable.

Thx

Old 08-28-2019, 09:24 PM
Jimmy Pet
Senior User
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I think its awesome. I'd be interested as well should you decide to sell them.