6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Dpf delete question ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 08:17 PM
cjfarm11
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Dpf delete question ?

is there a tune/tuner available that will disable the regens and leave the horsepower stock? Maybe delete the dpf? This is for a 2015

Old 12-08-2018, 09:45 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Yes, There are several but you have to do the DPF / EGR delete. You can't leave DPF in place and just not do the regens.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:27 PM
cjfarm11
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
That’s what I meant. Get rid of dpf and egr but leave the factory power setting? I don’t want smoke or noise. Any recommendations?

Old 12-09-2018, 05:19 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cjfarm11
That’s what I meant. Get rid of dpf and egr but leave the factory power setting? I don’t want smoke or noise. Any recommendations?
You can have basically stock power levels if you want. I haven't seen a tune yet that doesn't smoke occasionally. Most good tunes only smoke if you really get on it and don't smoke at all under normal driving conditions.

The exhaust will be louder after removing the DPF. You can install a muffler to lessen the noise but it will never be as quiet as stock.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:14 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Since I was looking to resolve issues and not add additional HP, I use a 0 HP version from PPEI using the EZ LYNK. I have seen others here discuss and are happy with Tryant and GDP tunes, possibly using the SCT tuner but am not certain on the most popular device (I know GDP has EZ LYNK support). I wish I could test those EZ LYNK versions as well but that's far too expensive of an experiment.

It is important to spend a lot of time reading what'll be best for you. Some information from others is helpful, others you'll need to sort through as unhelpful. Most of the EZ LYNK discussions are on a Facebook group for example. Although I think Ford IDS connects to the VCM II with a wireless link now, updating firmware over wireless makes me nervous. I ran into issues with the EZ LYNK failing at 99% a few times as I was testing different tune versions, thankfully it would upload 100% the second time instead of completely bricking the expensive ECM and/or TCM. I would purposefully disable my cellular connection so nothing would interrupt (phone call, text, etc.), forget my home wireless network so it wouldn't reconnect to that when the truck would reset after firmware upload and ensure it would remain connected to the EZ LYNK Wi-Fi while uploading the firmware. Further, since the EZ-LYNK issues IP addresses using DHCP, I found it was more reliable if it had steady active communication. I would connect my laptop, ping the default IP address of the EZ LYNK (the gateway) to ensure stable communication, then connect my phone, use the laptop to additionally ping the IP address issued to my phone and then upload the firmware using AutoAgent app (Android).

I like the idea of having the tunes tied to a (virtual) account (locked per VIN) that will follow me when I get a new phone in the future (not locked to a physical device). However, I found the EZ LYNK 1.0 is more of a pain than it's worth. I don't know if the EZ LYNK 2.0 has improved since it's supposed to have Bluetooth support.
If you are not comfortable with basic networking, get a cabled device such as the specific SCT model needed for your truck and chosen tunes. When researching, I liked the idea of the EZ LYNK + AutoAgent plus a buddy had decent success using that platform on his Duramax so that's where I focused most of my efforts since I had hands on experience.

Unfortunately from a stop, mine will smoke a little empty if I don't carefully ease into the throttle and keep it below 30% engine load. On take off with a tractor attached, it'll create a puff of smoke because it's not difficult to reach 30%+ engine load. However, mine does not smoke at all WOT once moving, which is nice. It's possible since I still have EGR for now this is the source of my smoke but that's only a guess.

For quieter, I've read the Donaldson muffler will get the best reduction in sound but I am fairly certain you'll need new exhaust pipe instead of keeping the factory exhaust pipe and only replacing the SCR/DPF unit.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,367 Likes on 4,626 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
Since I was looking to resolve issues and not add additional HP, I use a 0 HP version from PPEI using the EZ LYNK. I have seen others here discuss and are happy with Tryant and GDP tunes, possibly using the SCT tuner but am not certain on the most popular device (I know GDP has EZ LYNK support). I wish I could test those EZ LYNK versions as well but that's far too expensive of an experiment.

It is important to spend a lot of time reading what'll be best for you. Some information from others is helpful, others you'll need to sort through as unhelpful. Most of the EZ LYNK discussions are on a Facebook group for example. Although I think Ford IDS connects to the VCM II with a wireless link now, updating firmware over wireless makes me nervous. I ran into issues with the EZ LYNK failing at 99% a few times as I was testing different tune versions, thankfully it would upload 100% the second time instead of completely bricking the expensive ECM and/or TCM. I would purposefully disable my cellular connection so nothing would interrupt (phone call, text, etc.), forget my home wireless network so it wouldn't reconnect to that when the truck would reset after firmware upload and ensure it would remain connected to the EZ LYNK Wi-Fi while uploading the firmware. Further, since the EZ-LYNK issues IP addresses using DHCP, I found it was more reliable if it had steady active communication. I would connect my laptop, ping the default IP address of the EZ LYNK (the gateway) to ensure stable communication, then connect my phone, use the laptop to additionally ping the IP address issued to my phone and then upload the firmware using AutoAgent app (Android).

I like the idea of having the tunes tied to a (virtual) account (locked per VIN) that will follow me when I get a new phone in the future (not locked to a physical device). However, I found the EZ LYNK 1.0 is more of a pain than it's worth. I don't know if the EZ LYNK 2.0 has improved since it's supposed to have Bluetooth support.
If you are not comfortable with basic networking, get a cabled device such as the specific SCT model needed for your truck and chosen tunes. When researching, I liked the idea of the EZ LYNK + AutoAgent plus a buddy had decent success using that platform on his Duramax so that's where I focused most of my efforts since I had hands on experience.

Unfortunately from a stop, mine will smoke a little empty if I don't carefully ease into the throttle and keep it below 30% engine load. On take off with a tractor attached, it'll create a puff of smoke because it's not difficult to reach 30%+ engine load. However, mine does not smoke at all WOT once moving, which is nice. It's possible since I still have EGR for now this is the source of my smoke but that's only a guess.

For quieter, I've read the Donaldson muffler will get the best reduction in sound but I am fairly certain you'll need new exhaust pipe instead of keeping the factory exhaust pipe and only replacing the SCR/DPF unit.
Thanks for posting this info up. I'm nowhere near going over warranty but I'll save that information for later. I'll add it to the file.

Can't you use a race pipe like this?

https://puredieselpower.com/ford/11-...-pipe-kit.html

As for the stock exhaust tailpipe, it has a resonator on it. It looks fairly smooth with no dents in it: IE flow efficient. My HO, I'd like to be under the radar with a stock tailpipe to not draw the attention of law enforcement bent on writing deleted trucks but that's just me.

Last edited by Overkill2; 12-09-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 12-09-2018, 02:07 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Plenty of tuning options out there. And the puff of smoke you'll see, isn't always from the tunes. You are gutting the massive DPF filter, that is there to catch all the smoke and filter it. Deleting will cause a bit of smoke, but it's barely noticeable on mine.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:41 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Thanks for posting this info up. I'm nowhere near going over warranty but I'll save that information for later. I'll add it to the file.

Can't you use a race pipe like this?

https://puredieselpower.com/ford/11-...-pipe-kit.html

As for the stock exhaust tailpipe, it has a resonator on it. It looks fairly smooth with no dents in it: IE flow efficient. My HO, I'd like to be under the radar with a stock tailpipe to not draw the attention of law enforcement bent on writing deleted trucks but that's just me.
Yes but I think you'll instead need a custom length of exhaust pipe starting at the forward mount where the DOC is (was) in order to fit the long Donaldson muffler (40"?) which will attach to the exhaust tip/resonator side of the factory pipe mount. I've learned it's possible because owners have the factory tips with a Donaldson muffler I just don't have the experience so hopefully others know specifically. I chose to go without to see how bad it would be and am fine with it so far, risking possibly needing to spend extra later. Other than the delete pipe, mine is the factory pipe and exhaust tip with the resonator but if an owner is looking for quiet, it's not quiet. I can't hear the exhaust drone over my tires at highway speeds but if using quieter OEM type highway tires, I suspect the drone would be noticeable. It's noticeable in the cab when accelerating and loud at startup on a cold morning, even from inside a brick home. If the factory resonator is doing anything, then it would be very loud without.

With the factory exhaust tips and resonator, the exhaust noise without a larger muffler will give you away if that's a concern.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
You CAN cut a delete pipe to install a Donaldson muffler. With the stock resonator and tailpipe it’s pretty close to stock noise levels

Old 12-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Thanks for that reply as you have the experience. There's no way I would want to listen to a drone on the highway. Appreciate the input. I gotta admit, I like it quiet when cruising. At 52, I'm not looking for loud sound while driving at speed. Some bark at acceleration is nice but no drone. I believe that would get old real quick.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:54 PM
Claluja
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hollow out the dpf, then put it back on, and use all the same exhaust components that were on the truck. Can barely tell a difference soundwise. One way of doing it.

Egr can either be left on and programmed out of service, or removed entirely.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:24 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Claluja
Hollow out the dpf, then put it back on, and use all the same exhaust components that were on the truck. Can barely tell a difference soundwise. One way of doing it.

depending on if you have to do emission testing at some point, I would not advise of this. 5K r so to make right to plug into obdII. I went with both a Donaldson and fte resonator. It is almost as quiet as stock, no drone for me in cab. I don’t recall part numbers but know that I have posted them a few times.

I do do agree with the not drawing attention, a few buddies have been issued excessive smoke tickets this summer...

Old 12-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Have you personally seen THAT? That would be the ultimate stealth method, no doubt. How do you get it apart? Cut it? Then run a pipe through the center?

Old 12-09-2018, 07:56 PM
Claluja
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you personally seen THAT? That would be the ultimate stealth method, no doubt. How do you get it apart? Cut it? Then run a pipe through the center?
feel free to pm me on bitog

Old 12-10-2018, 04:50 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for that reply as you have the experience. There's no way I would want to listen to a drone on the highway. Appreciate the input. I gotta admit, I like it quiet when cruising. At 52, I'm not looking for loud sound while driving at speed. Some bark at acceleration is nice but no drone. I believe that would get old real quick.
I did a review thread on here about the Donaldson muffler, comparing it to noise levels with just a straight pipe using measured readings. It may be beneficial to you.

feel free to pm me on bitog
Screw that. If you've done it, post it here. That's how forums work.

Quick Reply: Dpf delete question ?