Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tablet Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 12:41 PM
MD_7.three
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Tablet Mounting

I know there are many of us who use a tablet as a monitor for gauges, TP, Forscan, etc...

I'm looking for idea's on how to mount mine and looking for some inspiration...How/Where did you all mount your tablets?

Old 12-05-2018, 01:25 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Most people use a mount purchased off of Glamazon or the like. Bolts to the floor and has an arm that extends up and holds the tablet.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:29 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
I bought the one Tugly used. Cant remember from where or the name of it but I'm sure hell be in here soon to clarify. It bolts to the t55 torx screw on the seat mount.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:36 PM
MD_7.three
Tuned
Originally Posted by JT250
Most people use a mount purchased off of Glamazon or the like. Bolts to the floor and has an arm that extends up and holds the tablet.
I think I've seen one of those somewhere...and seen a couple people go homemade...it's just hard tracking down all the options posted in various threads so I thought maybe this would provide a place for people to show their solution...and provide some inspiration for where/how to mount them for others to find more easily when searching as well.

The floor mount wont work for me as I occasionally have to make use of the middle seat.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:54 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Mob Armor
https://www.mobarmor.com/

they work so well I use them in the race car, and my daily driver , I have even used one in the helicopter. They make all other mounts seem kinda dumb.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:19 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts
I went with a RAM netbook mount but instead of bolting it to the floor I bent the thick aluminum rod into a U shape and milled a piece of wood covered in 20 mil pipe wrap that I wedged into the dash pocket. Has worked great for many years, started out with a mini Acer running AE now using a Galaxy tablet and Torque Pro. What I like is I can remove it in a second. I had a second piece of wood for the satellite radio that fit right next to the tablet one but since I got my Pioneer head unit I don't need that any more but the iPod fits nicely in there now.

I did try the mount Rich uses for a short time but I found it to be less stable, it would shake on bumpy roads too much for my liking so I went back to the RAM. (the sticky pads make up for the thin profile of the Galaxy, plus when not carrying the Galaxy I can just lay my phone there)

Old 12-06-2018, 08:24 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by MD_7.three
I think I've seen one of those somewhere...and seen a couple people go homemade...it's just hard tracking down all the options posted in various threads so I thought maybe this would provide a place for people to show their solution...and provide some inspiration for where/how to mount them for others to find more easily when searching as well.

The floor mount wont work for me as I occasionally have to make use of the middle seat.
I occasionally use the middle seat as well but think the mount could be pushed aside so someone could sit there.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:16 AM
MD_7.three
Tuned
I occasionally use the middle seat as well but think the mount could be pushed aside so someone could sit there.
If you pushed it aside, would it still be easily visible to be monitored? Pretty much the only time I need the middle seat is if we let one of our kids bring a friend on a camping trip and we are going to far from home to justify taking a second vehicle.

It's definitely the most viable place to mount it...but thats my reason for concern...

I know there are pods for the insight monitors...was really wondering if anybody had made anything similar to those, or found a suitable location to mount one on the windshield or similar...

Old 12-06-2018, 12:45 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a good solution. I'll probably go that route as well. Thx

Old 12-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Could always build it in to the dash, if your looking for a more fit and finished look. I had the padholder mount in my old crown vic, but in the truck I actually made it fit into the dash and gave it more of a finished feel.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:53 AM
MD_7.three
Tuned
Originally Posted by Njstern87
Could always build it in to the dash, if your looking for a more fit and finished look. I had the padholder mount in my old crown vic, but in the truck I actually made it fit into the dash and gave it more of a finished feel.

Where did you build it into the dash?

One of the idea's I'm rolling around right now would be to look at getting one of the F650 lower dash portions and install the tablet flush in the vertical orientation...added benefit would be it will give me a place to mount EGT and an eventual hydra instead of having to use an A-pillar.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Njstern87
Tuned
I moved the radio into the lower dash and placed the tablet where the radio is.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...h-99-f250.html

Old 12-07-2018, 09:49 AM
MD_7.three
Tuned
haha...I had read that back in October...part of what kicked off my thinking about ways to integrate the tablet and see what others had done! Just hadn't put the 2 & 2 together with the user name!

That was some serious fab work on the dash for sure...I've got a double DIN pioneer / carplay already in that spot...but definitely similar to what I was thinking for the lower dash area...just seems like it would take a 650 dash to even have room for it though.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Njstern87
Tuned
Was easier than it looked. I would do some minor changes if I were to do it again, but overall I'm still happy with it. As for what changes, there is an improved cable design that would be easier to route around the air vent, and I would slightly angle the mount for the tablet more towards the driver seat. I also recommend an anti-glare screen protector for the tablet. If you decide to go that route I'll be happy to answer and questions. I have also now seen several companies that make a "single din" tablet mount, that would go in a place of a single din radio slot and has the mounting bracket hard fastened to it now. Perhaps one of those in the "cubbyhole" slot on your existing dash. Cutting out the cubbie and putting a single dine mount chassis in there is relatively easy if you have a dremel.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:24 AM
MD_7.three
Tuned
The cubby is a good idea...my brake controller would be in the way, but that's easily relocated as visibility isn't as much of a concern...

I just looked and could only find a Metra one...kind of pricey for what it is...but I could probably hack something together...I just ordered a cheap suction cup style mount...mainly so I could try to mock it up in a location I like before I do something finished...

I'm going to try it there, and up where some trucks have the overhead console (mine doesn't)...just to see where I like it the best.