6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Delete with H&S Mini Maxx - Want Long Life

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Kauhana
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Delete with H&S Mini Maxx - Want Long Life

I drive a 2013 KR CC SB that was stock with 98k miles. My DEF pump started going out so I did an EGR and DPF delete from Jake's Custom Diesel in Norman, OK. It came with an H&S Mini Maxx that has 4 tunes on it; Stock, Tow, Street, and Performance. I did a 4" mid pipe and kept the stock muffler and tips. I am trying to get longevity out of my truck, not break anything on it, so I typically run the stock tune. I change oil ever 5-7k miles, do fuel filter every other oil change and air filter too. At 75k miles I serviced the differentials and transfer case with my dealer. Other than typical maintenance items from the manual, are there any other recommendations anyone might have from this forum?

Old 11-26-2018, 04:07 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It sounds like you're already on track to enjoy your truck for years, and years. One pretty inexpensive thing to do, that can let you know early about a problem, is sending your oil in for analysis. They can detect quite a few things about what's happening with your engine. Blackstone is a pretty popular one to go with...

Old 11-26-2018, 06:18 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by UP_There
It sounds like you're already on track to enjoy your truck for years, and years. One pretty inexpensive thing to do, that can let you know early about a problem, is sending your oil in for analysis. They can detect quite a few things about what's happening with your engine. Blackstone is a pretty popular one to go with...
I completely agree. Mine oil samples are sent every other oil change on all my trucks. www.blackstone-labs.com

Old 11-26-2018, 07:22 PM
Kauhana
New User
Thanks guys...

I went to Blackstone's site and requested the free sample kit. I appreciate the quick responses.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:10 PM
lranger75
New User
Also out of Norman. We’re you happy with the job Jake’s did?

Old 12-17-2018, 07:57 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Been there done that with 6'4L. DO NOT TOW ANY THING HEAVY IN A SETTING OTHER THAN STOCK . Did that by mistake and blew a head gasket. Cost a lot to fix 5K plus ugh

Old 12-19-2018, 03:34 PM
Kauhana
New User
If Jake himself does your truck, you're good. I had one of his other mechanics start on my truck before Jake got there and he was definitely not detailed oriented. I actually just found some more clamps for my intake were still loose under my hood today from when he reinstalled everything. So I have mixed feelings... Since I live in Fort Worth, I'm going to try and find a good shop around this area.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Kauhana
New User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Been there done that with 6'4L. DO NOT TOW ANY THING HEAVY IN A SETTING OTHER THAN STOCK . Did that by mistake and blew a head gasket. Cost a lot to fix 5K plus ugh
I run stock setting all the time! Truck makes plenty of power without the EGR and DPF, so I'm very happy with it.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:30 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kauhana
I run stock setting all the time! Truck makes plenty of power without the EGR and DPF, so I'm very happy with it.
How does the stock tune without the EGR and DPF compare to the stock truck before the delete? Also, did you notice any other differences? (e.g. noise, throttle response, mileage)

Old 12-21-2018, 08:00 PM
Kauhana
New User
Right before the delete, I noticed that my truck would regen quite often and just didn't seem to have the same "pep" that it did when new. Like getting on the highway in the mornings, I'd really have to give some throttle. I would also get around 14-15 MPG in mixed driving based on the dash MPG status, and about 17.5 on strictly highway empty.

After the delete, I've noticed the throttle seems way more sensitive. In fact, if I put it on any higher tunes than stock it's almost annoying how sensitive it is. On the FB 6.7 group I'm part of a lot of people said that it's because the H&S Mini Maxx tunes out of the box are "meh" and that I should run custom tunes from Tyrant out of Pheonix. Running empty it seems I run a few degrees cooler on oil temps. It's hard to tell with coolant temp because I didn't have a digital readout of that until I got the tuner. I can slightly hear the exhaust more from inside the truck, but I like the sound! Also, with windows down I can hear the whistle of the turbo way more, which I like too. As for MPG, now in mixed driving, it says I'm getting 18.9 to 20MPG, and strictly highway empty about 21MPG. Now if I have a good tailwind coming back from OKC or heading up there, I've gone as high as 24MPG.

I kept stick intake, stock muffler and tips, replaced the mid-pipe with a flo-pro 4" mid-pipe.

I want to add FASS, maybe cold air intake, and possible change my EGR block-off plate to a flow-through based on what I've read. I don't think mine is. I may also buy the Tyrant tunes later down the line too, just to see if I like them.

Hopefully this helps!

Old 12-22-2018, 08:35 AM
cangim
Postmaster
I really like my tyrant tune, just opted for the tow tune only

Old 12-23-2018, 12:55 PM
Kauhana
New User
Originally Posted by cangim
I really like my tyrant tune, just opted for the tow tune only
Are you still able to run stock? I know even tow adds some power, but I'm just in it for longevity.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:41 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I agree the 6.4 was awesome in stock tune. But, you know, I just had to try a couple of the big tunes then forgot where it was set.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:57 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Are you still able to run stock? I know even tow adds some power, but I'm just in it for longevity.
no just tow tune only, I’d imagine you could get a delete only, would have to probably call

Old 12-23-2018, 03:09 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
OK. Let me try this. There are two types of tuners. RACE tuners will allow u to delete the DPF. Once you remove the DPF you will have one or more tunes available. One of those will be called “stock”. It will be stock settings without DPF. The truck will run much bettef than with dpf. To return to true stock you would have to reinstall the dpf and remove the tuner.

They also sell “STREET” tuners. These plug into the OBD port and supposedly add power and increase mileage. I doubt they do much because the DPF stays on. If you unplug a street tuner you are back to true factory stock

hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Delete with H&S Mini Maxx - Want Long Life