1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 2000

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 05:53 PM
264WSM
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
New to me 2000

I recently purchased a 2000 F-350 DRW 7.3. I am new to any vehicle this modern as my normal ride is an '88 and '89. I hate it when the vehicles are smarter than the operator, so this might be an operator error type situation.
1) My high beams work when they want to. At first I thought if I shut the truck off with the lights on, then shut the lights off. Next time I drive I have no high beams. Recently, no matter what I do I have no high beams. When I pull the momentary switch, I get a blue dash light, but no brighter lights. When I push the constant switch, my headlights go OUT, and I don't get a blue dash light. Because they have worked before I only assume both lights didn't fail at the same time. Is there a relay or something else I need to look for?

2) The radio doesn't store the time or any presets. Every time I start the truck the clock shows 12:00. Every time I turn the radio on it is on 530 AM

3) I am assuming the display on the roof (in the middle), is Temp and Compass (maybe other stuff too). Mine is dark

4) Where is the fuse box on this truck?? Is there more than 1 fuse box?

5) How do I get it out of 4WD Low Range w/o shutting the truck off? Today I needed 4WD to get up my driveway (snow), I made very little progress in the high range so I put it in neutral and flicked the switch to Low Range. The light lit up and I managed to get up my driveway. Once up top I went to neutral, moved the switch to 2WD and backed into my usual parking spot. While backing I could tell the truck was still in 4WD. Even after stopping in my spot it still showed 4WD Low Range. I rotated the switch thru all positions and the Low Range light stayed on. What gives?? - I miss my stick!!

What else do I need to know about "new school" trucks? I was told I had to drain and fill the IP with oil, during an oil change. Is there a tutorial for this?

Old 11-24-2018, 07:19 PM
eddienelson
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok I cant answer any of your questions but get rid of that radio and get a touch screen, new speakers and add a back up camera. You should be able to do this for about $600. You'll love it....

Old 11-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 264WSM
I recently purchased a 2000 F-350 DRW 7.3. I am new to any vehicle this modern as my normal ride is an '88 and '89. I hate it when the vehicles are smarter than the operator, so this might be an operator error type situation.
1) My high beams work when they want to. At first I thought if I shut the truck off with the lights on, then shut the lights off. Next time I drive I have no high beams. Recently, no matter what I do I have no high beams. When I pull the momentary switch, I get a blue dash light, but no brighter lights. When I push the constant switch, my headlights go OUT, and I don't get a blue dash light. Because they have worked before I only assume both lights didn't fail at the same time. Is there a relay or something else I need to look for?

2) The radio doesn't store the time or any presets. Every time I start the truck the clock shows 12:00. Every time I turn the radio on it is on 530 AM

3) I am assuming the display on the roof (in the middle), is Temp and Compass (maybe other stuff too). Mine is dark

4) Where is the fuse box on this truck?? Is there more than 1 fuse box?

5) How do I get it out of 4WD Low Range w/o shutting the truck off? Today I needed 4WD to get up my driveway (snow), I made very little progress in the high range so I put it in neutral and flicked the switch to Low Range. The light lit up and I managed to get up my driveway. Once up top I went to neutral, moved the switch to 2WD and backed into my usual parking spot. While backing I could tell the truck was still in 4WD. Even after stopping in my spot it still showed 4WD Low Range. I rotated the switch thru all positions and the Low Range light stayed on. What gives?? - I miss my stick!!

What else do I need to know about "new school" trucks? I was told I had to drain and fill the IP with oil, during an oil change. Is there a tutorial for this?
Welcome to the 7.3L world. In the future post to 99-03 7.3L Forum.

1) Could be the multifunction switch.

2) Is the radio stock?

3) There’s a guy on EBAY that fixes them.

4). 2 under the hood, 1) under the dash by your left knee.
-just ask Byron

5) Guessing here, vacuum leak...

Old 11-24-2018, 08:09 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 876 Likes on 728 Posts
Start with getting an owner's manual. See my signature below.

1. Probably the MFS as mentioned.
2. Check the ALWAYS HOT fuse for the radio.
3. Check the overhead console fuse.
4. See owner's manual (instructions above).
5. Not a vacuum problem. The transfer case shift motor didn't return to its 2WD position. See owner's manual for instructions about switching from 4LO to 2WD.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:43 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,136 Likes on 648 Posts
Also, if you are as unlucky as 95% of any Ford owner with these overhead displays (put in many different vehicle models) the cheap resistor chips in the displays were soldered poorly from the manufacturer, and being mounted inverted have come loose or even unattached from the circuit board. You can either buy a new one for around $350, or take it apart and either resolder the chips yourself, or send it off to many a online vender who specialize in resoldering and testing these displays

Old 11-25-2018, 02:58 PM
264WSM
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to know info

Found a manual and got it out of the low range - did I say, I miss my stick!!
I can solder - Thanx, I'll look for that problem.

Radio is stock and I like it because it has cassette and CD - did I mention I was old school!!