2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Grinding/scraping noise from the front end.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Mrfun2fly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnday
Lee, it looks like they replaced the original checkvalve with the latest updated one. Not in every case, but many, that checkvalve has been shown to be the root cause. Your IWEs are kept disengaged by vacuum. Upon acceleration, vacuum drops, the checkvalve is supposed close and maintain vacuum from the vacuum reservoir. If it doesn't close, vacuum is lost and the IWEs try to engage, causing the grinding sound. Ofcourse when you let off the gas, vacuum increases and usually the grinding stops.
There are no gaurantees you'll never have trouble again, but if you do, there is a very simple temporary fix, to get you where a dealer can look at it, or fix it yourself, before the IWE/hub is ruined. Just pull the electrical connector off the solenoid, it will shut off the vacuum side, and vent the IWE, causing them to engage. Won't hurt anything, the same thing happens if you have 4A, except the Tcase is involved there.
In a truck without 4A, you'll be good, unless you shift into 4H/4L on high traction surfaces, which you shouldn't be doing and trying to turn.
Thanks for the tip! I'm saving this thread and hope never to have to use it lol. As for the solenoid you talk about goes, where would I find it? and if the noise starts up again but goes away like it did in the past, should I be concerned about damage when not making the grinding noise?

Thanks again bud!

Lee

Old 01-14-2019, 08:41 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrfun2fly
Thanks for the tip! I'm saving this thread and hope never to have to use it lol. As for the solenoid you talk about goes, where would I find it? and if the noise starts up again but goes away like it did in the past, should I be concerned about damage when not making the grinding noise?

Thanks again bud!

Lee
Here's a photo of my truck. See that white round thingy? That's the checkvalve, follow the hose off it to the right. It terminates at the solenoid, and the connector is at the top.

One the things that happens when the valve gets FUBARed, it can be an intermittent thing. Might fail once, and then weeks later it does it again. That's why it's sometimes hard to diagnose. I look at it, that it's such an inexpensive part, just go ahead and replace it. $15USD or less. If it isn't grinding, it isn't self destructing at that point.
Here's the part number for the newest updated one, comes with the hoses too.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...asy-fl3z3a788b

Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 AM
NukeUFO
New User
I just posted a new thread about a very similar problem with my 2018 stx 4x4... could having the actuators replaced trigger this problem to start? Never had any issues, 4x4 always worked great, just slightly clunky transmission shifts at low speed & going from reverse to forward. The dealership replaced some actuators to fix it, and now I have the occasional horrible noise, but I think my shifts are smother.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:45 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Hope you guys can see that photo. IB websites aren't photo friendly lately.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by NukeUFO
I just posted a new thread about a very similar problem with my 2018 stx 4x4... could having the actuators replaced trigger this problem to start? Never had any issues, 4x4 always worked great, just slightly clunky transmission shifts at low speed & going from reverse to forward. The dealership replaced some actuators to fix it, and now I have the occasional horrible noise, but I think my shifts are smother.
No, not normally. Many have found the checkvalve to be the root cause. If your dealer followed the TSB, they should have replaced the checkvalve. Check it out, the new updated one is blue.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:21 PM
PapaDon
Freshman User
Still in a holding pattern for replacement parts to come in. In all fairness, I bought the truck in Minnesota and I live in Illinois. The local Naperville Ford service has been excellent. Without question they have worked on warranty recalls and serviced my vehicle. If this dealership matched prices or would budge in the least I would have purchased it locally.
Anyway, the wait continues.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:39 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Don, what parts are you waiting on? It's been a while.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 PM
PapaDon
Freshman User
Originally Posted by johnday
Don, what parts are you waiting on? It's been a while.
I’m not sure anymore. It’s just frustrating with this, all the recalls and now the rear driver’s side window is making a horrible noise. The service department keeps telling me that I will be called when the parts come in.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:17 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Wow. I know of a guy on another site that is waiting on a Transfer Case Control Module, I guess it'll be March for him.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:15 AM
DraKhen99
Freshman User
It's nuts if you're still waiting for IWEs, check valves, etc. - I took my truck to the dealer a few weeks ago and they had the check valve and IWEs replaced in 2 days.

Good luck!

-John

Old 03-30-2019, 11:09 PM
PapaDon
Freshman User
Just rechecked the dates to be exact. Took it in on 11/23/18 and everything fixed on 3/2/19.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:50 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to hear it is fixed finally. Please report back in a few months to let us know how the repair is holding up. Mine has been perfect since it was repaired last October.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:04 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great to Hear,Now the rest of us Know exactly what to do because of you Guys and the Whole Forum

Old 03-31-2019, 05:13 PM
PapaDon
Freshman User
If it wasn’t for the forum, I wouldn’t have had the TSB. Once I showed that to the service guy he got all pissy. It’s like they knew all along what was wrong and just didn’t want to address it.
Thanks guys!!

Old 04-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Cj1
New User
Same issue

But I described it as a rattling or a bunch of bolts rattling. Left it at Dealership and they got it to replicate said they started a report with Ford to see what steps to take, just today dealership told me that Ford said is all part of the engine noise. Bull****. All characteristics as to what was mentioned above cold weather, during acceleration and let off it stops. Don’t know what to do

Quick Reply: Grinding/scraping noise from the front end.