Rebuilding an E4od

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 05:02 PM
coloradotoy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding an E4od

I am getting ready to rebuild the e4od from my 92 f-150. I have herd that the up to about 95 ford had allot of problems with this tranmission. And when having one rebuilt there are several updates that should be done to the transmission. Can any one elaborate more on this or what should be updated. I just want a stock transmission (cheap as possible) not a performance one.

Thanks

Old 09-26-2003, 08:24 PM
dieselzen
Senior User
Coloradotoy,
Click on my "Profile" button in blue at the bottom of my reply and email me. I will then send you a zip file of E4OD information. It will include quite a few hard part upgrades to consider on your rebuild. R.A.

Old 09-26-2003, 10:16 PM
coloradotoy
Freshman User
Dieselzen,
I have not posed twenty-five times yet so i cannot see your e-mail, but if you will send it to me at benjamin.russell@colorado.edu i would really appritate it. Also if you have any info or advice on doing it your self I am consedering going that rout. Thanks allot

Old 09-27-2003, 03:58 PM
coloradotoy
Freshman User
Thanks to Dieselzen I have a good list of updated parts, but where have other menbers purchased these parts? And any other info about rebuilding the E4OD would be appricated
Thanks

Old 09-27-2003, 08:13 PM
SDawgz
Freshman User
Coloradotoy, if you want to rebuild it yourself I suggest taking a transmission overhaul class at a local vo-tech, they should have any books, special tools you will need and an experienced instructor, if you have never done this before.
For the parts, look in you yellow pages for a transmission parts store, they do not sell these parts at Pep Boys, and give them a call. An online source for transmission parts is www.bulkparts.com, I have purchased several rebuild kits from them for my transmissions. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2003, 10:26 PM
wkinkaid
New User
I just rebuilt my E4OD. Get the ATSG book, the Ford factory manual, and the zip file. Bulkparts is a great place for parts. I also bought a converter from www.mojave-green.com. You should be able to find the tools on ebay (cheap). Just take your time and then count the dollars you saved. The upgrades in the zip file are expensive, but when you look at the cheap aluminum planets, you will not regret the cost. Good luck

Old 09-30-2003, 06:05 PM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cheap aluminum planets
I have a 1991 f250 with a 460 and E4OD, please tell me it doesn't have cheap aluminum planetary gears.

Old 09-30-2003, 06:18 PM
wkinkaid
New User
Planets

Well, my E4OD is from a 1993 F250 460 4X4 heavy duty, tow package, camper package and both the overdrive/input planet and the foward planets were the 4 pinion aluminum. The upgrades were the 4 pinion steel input and the 6 pinion steel foward planet. The OD/input gets a new input shaft. The foward planet kit gets a new hub and bearing. Also, the center support in yours needs the roller bearing update. Has your tranny ever been rebuilt/updated?

Old 09-30-2003, 10:22 PM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has your tranny ever been rebuilt/updated?
I doubt it, the guy I bought it from is the original owner and he said nothing had ever been done but fluid changes, filters, tires and brakes. He did say that the pinion seal had leaked and been changed. The truck had a bad bearing in the diff when I bought it. It seems solid, but the E4OD horror stories are not confidence inspiring.

I did a fluid change and the old fluid was clean, no metal in the pan.

Last edited by HardScrabble; 09-30-2003 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:47 PM
wkinkaid
New User
My tranny was still OK. I replaced the solenoid, MLPS and did the transgo shift kit. I just did it when I replaced the bad torque converter. 105K miles.
I felt $1000 in the tranny was better than $45000 for a new truck.