Sponsored by: Moser

Reverse light wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 02:14 PM
DirtyLarry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse light wiring

Wiring a back up camera onto my f250. Camera is mounted, displays in the rear view. Have the display wired to my aux fusebox. Camera is supposed to get power from my reverse lights. I have an nv4500 in place of my np435 and haven't ever had the reverse lights wired up (takes a different plug).

I've hheard that all the trans does to turn the reverse lights on is to complete the circuit from the plug with a solenoid in the trans when I shift to fDoes that sound right? If so, thst should mean that one of the two wires that goes to the plug in on my truck should get power with the key on, correct? Checked last night and couldn't get power at the plug with my multimeter grounded on the cab. Followed the wires up and figured out what I was checking was plugged into the main harness with another plug in. Checked there and still nothin. The harness goes from my engine bag through the firewall under the dash and then I think under the cab. It's all pretty shut up and don't want to have to cut it all out. Anyone know where I should look next, where does the back up light plug in get power originally?

Old 11-16-2018, 03:15 PM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
I'm thinking there should be power in one of the wires, when the key is on. The other wire would go to the lights.

You could jump the two wires together at the plug connector, and that should turn the reverse lights on. If not, trace the wires back and see where they lead. Maybe try probing for power again, only this time with an extension wire running to the negative terminal for your ground. It can be difficult to get a good ground off of the body sheet metal, given paint, dirt, undercoating, ETC...

Do you have a ground-strap between your engine block and the cab?

Old 11-16-2018, 04:06 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 729 Likes on 583 Posts
Have you pulled fuses and checked things at the panel? F11 handles the backup lamp duties, so would be the first one to check.
You're looking for a Black w/red wire to the lamps and a White w/pink (or purple?) wire from the fuse to the switch. So the White wire is the one to look for power on.

The NV backup lamp switch is easy to hook up too if you want it done right. It's basically a reversed Weatherpack connector, so you can literally make your own if you don't want to buy one from Dodge.
It's going to look like this: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc...d_transmission and the only difference between this one and a pre-made Weatherpack for wiring duties is that they reversed the style of conductor. So you have a male pointy thing inside the male tower/housing as opposed to a female inside the male and vice versa.

Paul