1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 F100....where to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:19 PM
02_F-250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1955 F100....where to start

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and to F100's. I'm picking up a 55 this weekend and I plan to restore it from the frame up but thought I would ask you guys where I should start? I'm not interested in restoring it to original but I'm just looking for ideas on what should be done first....an "order of operations". I have a lot of experience working on different restorations/builds and a lot of equipment so that's not an issue. Since the cab will be off I plan to C notch the rear, add 4 link suspension, and box in the frame. It already has a Mustang II front end so I don't need to worry about that, but what's next? Fuel system ( I plan to put the tank under the bed )? I just want to have a plan so I don't miss something and end up having to back track....I would like to do it right from the beginning.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-15-2018, 05:53 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
welcome to FTE. you''re gonna love it here. Now is the time to take a pencil and write down your wish list... mandatory repairs/replacements and wish list.. bedwood treatment, paint scheme, interior comforts, sound systems. Didn't mention engines but get that list started also.. monster build or cruiser ?? Look over the body and see what can be repaired or replaced and add that to the list (or start another). Start a build log. Take at least 4,264 pictures to start for reference and as you work for memory supplement. Check into process for 401K withdrawals and maybe apply for a line of credit. Sell your golf clubs, you ain't got time for that crap no more... green fees buy truck parts.

I'd get everything the way you want it on the frame/running gear... engine size and creature comforts might influence this... i.e. radiator size and condenser.. While you're doing that or waiting for someone else to do it... start on the bodywork... take more pictures... post pictures on here for all of us to critique and lust over... there, that ought to get our started... most of all, have fun

john

Old 11-15-2018, 06:37 PM
ammf6
Freshman User
I’m in the same boat ! Waiting for mine to land so I can get a start on her !!!

Old 11-15-2018, 06:43 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,476 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
. Check into process for 401K withdrawals and maybe apply for a line of credit. Sell your golf clubs, you ain't got time for that crap no more... green fees buy truck parts.

john
I love that, John! But it is true, ain't it?

Old 11-15-2018, 09:30 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,157 Likes on 1,830 Posts
I would say John pretty much nailed it.
Also hope you have a lot of room for this project, I have 3 bays and could have used more room.
I am sure as you get going with the plan you had laid out it will change some, I know mine did.

Mine is an 81 F100 flare side. I knew some what, what it needed based on the add when I bought it so I also bought a parts truck that rolled over but had most of the parts I needed.
My plan at first was a weekly trash run truck, nothing fancy and do just what was needed to get on the road. Then checking it out at home turned it quickly turned to a frame off rebuild.
Then you find to restore some thing like the wood bed is a $1000 just in metal parts, no wood or bolts & nuts you go a different direction.
I used the metal floor from the long bed parts truck reworked to replace the wood floor and it all looks factory stock. Same with adding a rear fuel tank, not offered from the factory, for duel tanks again using the parts truck parts to look factory inside & out.

So be prepared to make changes along the way.
Thing is build it the way you want it and have fun doing it.
Dave ----

Old 11-15-2018, 09:47 PM
armyaviation
Tuned
I am putting my 56 back together and it’s a task. My advice, get a bottle of Jack Daniels and a good night sleep cause your in for a journey

Old 11-16-2018, 05:24 AM
02_F-250
New User
Thanks for the replies guys! I spent some time searching the forums last night and came across a lot of good information on may different topics I was unclear about. Luckily the truck I found doesn't need much body work and I already have a motor/tranny combo laying around the garage so that should help quite a bit. Once I get going I will start a build thread.....I came across a few and it seems like a great way to get input from people as I go.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:11 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
sounds good 02... keep thinking ahead. I've had a few points where my thinking fell behind my doing and cause problems. Heed Fuzzface's comment on change.. things will change. I have a good friend who is a master drag car builder and expert in several fields. He told me once at the beginning of my journey that when you change one thing IT changes three more all by itself. I've never proved him wrong. I am the poster child of change !!

Keep us in the loop on your build and let us see some pictures. Yo might want to go to the user control panel (the 'user ' button at the top of the page and fill in some particulars like name and location and what ever else you're comfortable with. There might be a time you need some help and someone is close by to help.. Oh, btw... I'd save the Jack Daniels till you pull the garage down.. It will cut down on the number of times you look at your build the next day and say ' why in the heck did I do that !!??'

later
john

Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 AM
wdglide
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just finished one. It was in a field 13 months ago.

Two points I'd like to add to the others...

1. How much room do you have to work. If you don't have a lot of room, it will affect your progress. So plan accordingly.

2. If there is a particular part of the process that you are hesitant about, for example - bodywork, I'd say try and get that done as soon as possible - while you are motivated. Most people put their least favorite part off "until later." That is usually were the project will stall. You WILL burn out and if the process ahead of you is not your favorite, the project will very possibly fail.

But good luck. It is VERY rewarding when you finish!

Old 11-16-2018, 04:19 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey 02' F250,
Welcome Aboard! Sounds like fun - do you have any pics you can post so we can see
what you are working on? We do have a few Pennsylvania members on here - what
part of the state are you from?

If your '55 is already running & driving.... Why not drive it a bit & let it
tell you what it needs. It's easy to tear it apart but much harder to put back together.
It's hard to keep writing checks when all you see is a pile of parts in the garage.

A 4 link for the rear end sounds like a lot of effort if you are going to
just be cruising. There are a lot of other options that get you modern gearing & brakes.
We are running an Explorer 8.8 rear end with 3.73 gearing, disc brakes, limited slip, etc.
$225 from a salvage place plus some upgrades.

Good luck over there!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 11-17-2018, 08:53 PM
02_F-250
New User
Hi guys, I'm so excited!! I picked up the truck today and it's in excellent condition. The cab corners need replaced but the guy was up front about that from the beginning so I was aware of that. Other than that the cab is solid, the frame is beautiful, and it's exactly what I was looking for as far as a project. The only downfall is that he told me it has a Mustang II front end but it doesn't. He wasn't too familiar with the truck and the guy he bought if from apparently told him it was the Mustang II front end but it definitely is not. He knocked off $1,000 because I told him I was under the impression the front end was already done. That's fine with me tho because now I can do it myself! It has a new, never fired 400 motor in it but I already have plans of putting a 302 with AOD in it ( I have laying around the garage from mustangs ) so I guess I will try to sell the 400. Also has a one piece fiberglass front end.

John, great points...I've done that a few time in the past as well. My dad and I have a few fox body mustangs and you're right, one plan changes and EVERYTHING changes! Also, I'll update my user control panel and update my info.

wdglide, room is not an issue for me, I have a pretty laid out garage ( since I spend 90% of my time there haha ). You're 2nd point is absolutely correct and I didn't even think of that until you said it. You're right, I need to take care of the stuff I don't like to do ( bodywork ) first while I have a lot of steam. Excellent advice, thank you!

ben73058, I'm a little south of Pittsburgh PA. The truck needs restored and is in pieces so I have a good platform to start with. I know the 4 link might be a little overkill but I have wanted to do an F100 for many years and I want to do it right from the beginning so I'm ok with doing a little extra. I'm in no hurry so I figure I might as well do it while the truck is basically bare.

Here is the only pic I have of it right now. Took it on our way home while we were getting a bite to eat. I'll get more pictures tomorrow as it was already dark by the time we got home....

Old 11-17-2018, 09:28 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Fairlane front tilt !!!! woo hoo !!! you're gonna love that !! here's some info on that below

glad you're all excited, that's how to start a project !!! keeep the pics coming did you loose the bed ???

https://jniolon.classicpickup.com/ti...gfulltilt.html

Old 11-17-2018, 09:40 PM
armyaviation
Tuned

I think I love my fairlane front end...so far

Old 11-18-2018, 05:34 PM
02_F-250
New User
Thank for the info John! I have the bedsides but no tailgate or floor. The bedsides aren't in the best condition so I'll probably just buy all new.

I got it off the trailer and into the garage today, also took some of the extra parts and body panels to storage so I will probably start digging into it this week. Can't get into too much because of Thanksgiving but maybe I'll order the 4 link...

Old 11-18-2018, 08:37 PM
armyaviation
Tuned

John has some great info on how to mount that front end on his site. I used it as a reference and mine turned out great

Quick Reply: 1955 F100....where to start