Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 next possible upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Dude-Ford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan V
Could we get beyond this Stage 1 or Stage 2 injector speak?
haha its doubtful.

I would do the FRx from riffraff and the H & H mod and run a metal rock catcher mesh pre-pump filter for time being or better yet water fuel separator of your choosing.

I've been looking at a few regulated returns and wondering if they would be any different than the FRX? Don't they require lift pumps, at least for the RR fuel bowl delete kits?

Old 11-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I have the Driven Diesel regulated return....I like it. Retained the OEM fuel filter.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:47 AM
Dude-Ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dan V
I have the Driven Diesel regulated return....I like it. Retained the OEM fuel filter.
This something I wish I would have done while I had the turbo out. I already had an Frx though and din't want to spend the money.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:49 AM
Dude-Ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by mike007800
reliability first, more power and fuel efficientcy. I pull a 30' camper in the summer. I am thinking injectors last have everything in place for stage 2s.
What's your budget? Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the driven regulated return.

Sorry y'all I'm still figuring out how to do multiple quotes or whatever. Not trying to hijack.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:42 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I bought the Hutch kit from Strictly Diesel 10 years ago. The kit looks unchanged today BTW. I've been happy with it and recently updated to a Racor PS-120 and got out of the spin-on filter replacements. I'm sure I could have sourced it but the kit came with everything I needed which was worth the extra price to me to have something ready to go and I knew would fit. It's still going strong a decade later so money well spent IMO.

Originally Posted by BBslider001
Why Stage 2s? Stage 1s will get you more than enough power and Stage 2s will cause you to monitor EGTs more than anything. Bigger isn't always better, especially for towing.
It depends on the tunes and what you want out of it. I did my research and got the size I wanted based on what I wanted out of the truck. It just so happened to be considered a "stage 2" injector. I haven't towed anything over 5K lbs but applying a practical driving approach (don't lug the engine) and EGT concerns are non-existent for me.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:32 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Why Stage 2s? Stage 1s will get you more than enough power and Stage 2s will cause you to monitor EGTs more than anything. Bigger isn't always better, especially for towing.
I dunno, the 160/80 injector is considered a Stage 2 injector and it's a good injector for heavy towing. Sure, ya gotta make sure the truck can really breath since the 80% nozzle can increase EGT's, but that's easily controlled with your custom tune.

In my opinion, going bigger to singles with an 80% nozzle is definitely better.

Stewart

Old 11-17-2018, 08:30 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
I bought the Hutch kit from Strictly Diesel 10 years ago. The kit looks unchanged today BTW. I've been happy with it and recently updated to a Racor PS-120 and got out of the spin-on filter replacements. I'm sure I could have sourced it but the kit came with everything I needed which was worth the extra price to me to have something ready to go and I knew would fit. It's still going strong a decade later so money well spent IMO.

It depends on the tunes and what you want out of it. I did my research and got the size I wanted based on what I wanted out of the truck. It just so happened to be considered a "stage 2" injector. I haven't towed anything over 5K lbs but applying a practical driving approach (don't lug the engine) and EGT concerns are non-existent for me.
I hear you, but two things.

1) 14k is WAY different than 5k. Even 10k is quite a load. You have to stay in it quite a bit longer to stay up to speed and more mods are required to run a bigger injector.

2) And this one I have never understood, but how fast goes one really need to go when towing anything over, say, 8k? My truck has stock injectors with excellent tuning. I can maintain 60 mph up a drawn out 6% grade without having to watch my EGT gauge and easily do 75 on flat to moderate hills if I wanted to go that fast. I have been down the other road where that is ALL you watch and it sucks. Why have more HP that you really can't use effectively? That's just my opinion after towing many, many miles no less than 10k. Again, it's all about how you drive it and what you want. I want longevity, reliability, and a truck I can give hell when I need without having to mod it to the hilt without melting a piston.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I dunno, the 160/80 injector is considered a Stage 2 injector and it's a good injector for heavy towing. Sure, ya gotta make sure the truck can really breath since the 80% nozzle can increase EGT's, but that's easily controlled with your custom tune.

In my opinion, going bigger to singles with an 80% nozzle is definitely better.

Stewart
I hear you Stew. See above. That's my biggest thing....reliability and as stress free driving as possible. But, if a guy wants to drop that much coin (turbo, tuning, injectors, clutch or trans) to go a little faster pulling heavy weight, that is his liberty.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:49 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
You didn't mention what year your truck is but if it is a 01-03 model It likely has the powdered metal connecting rods which can only handle about 450 HP safely. If you want to build it for around 425 HP to be safe the first thing you need to do Is get rid of that Edge tuner and get a Hydra chip. For the fuel system you will need the to do the hutch mod, you can piece the kit together yourself or buy the whole kit from Diesel Site I got the kit and it works great, for a regulated return the CNC fab 4 line feed kit is a great option, I have the Riff Raff FRX and it works great but I would have got the CNC kit If I would have known about it at the time. You need Boost, egt, and trans temp gauges if you don't have them already. Then a built transmission if it's an auto or a good clutch if it's a manual. The final step would be injectors, with a PMR motor I wouldn't go larger than a 160/100 injector, with good tuning those will put you close to 450 HP with your current mods, 160/80s will be a little less, and 160/30s will put you around 400 HP, with your 38R turbo egts shouldn't be an issue with any of these injectors.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I hear you Stew. See above. That's my biggest thing....reliability and as stress free driving as possible. But, if a guy wants to drop that much coin (turbo, tuning, injectors, clutch or trans) to go a little faster pulling heavy weight, that is his liberty.
Oh I knew what ya meant. My example could be argued is more of an outlier than standard, and I was kinda hoping that would come across as a "there's always an exception/one person in the group!" kind of post.

Stewart

Old 11-17-2018, 09:49 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
I hear you, but two things.

1) 14k is WAY different than 5k. Even 10k is quite a load. You have to stay in it quite a bit longer to stay up to speed and more mods are required to run a bigger injector.

2) And this one I have never understood, but how fast goes one really need to go when towing anything over, say, 8k? My truck has stock injectors with excellent tuning. I can maintain 60 mph up a drawn out 6% grade without having to watch my EGT gauge and easily do 75 on flat to moderate hills if I wanted to go that fast. I have been down the other road where that is ALL you watch and it sucks. Why have more HP that you really can't use effectively? That's just my opinion after towing many, many miles no less than 10k. Again, it's all about how you drive it and what you want. I want longevity, reliability, and a truck I can give hell when I need without having to mod it to the hilt without melting a piston.
Yes, 4K is paltry for a load but that’s the heaviest I’ve had the opportunity to tow.

I could go into all the reasons I chose the injectors I did but suffice to say I did more than my due dilligence for research. I thought I had a (nearly) folk-proof plan for upgrade and execution. Boy was I wrong. There is no blueprint for any of this stuff. I am very happy with the power I have now and the GH tuning makes things easy to drive (stay under 30 psi of boost and everything else stays out of the danger zone). I did think I would have some more giddy-up but I can still get spanked by a Fiat 500 Abarth.

If I walk out tomorrow, find our that someone has stolen everything I’ve “modded”, and got a check for every penny I spent on parts for the truck, would I do everything the same again? Nope. Am I disappointed with what I’ve got now? Nope.

Sometimes the only way you can be satisfied is by personal experience. I now know that I could have been happy with new AD injectors instead of single shots...but only because I have single shots. If I never went this route I would have always wondered “what if” and never been happy with the truck, no matter how great it was.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:24 PM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd say if you're going 160/80 as your stage 2 sticks, you'll be happy. I love mine - can tow 14k without issue then turn around and put some guy in a beamer trying to showboat for his woman to shame.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:13 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Yes, 4K is paltry for a load but that’s the heaviest I’ve had the opportunity to tow.

I could go into all the reasons I chose the injectors I did but suffice to say I did more than my due dilligence for research. I thought I had a (nearly) folk-proof plan for upgrade and execution. Boy was I wrong. There is no blueprint for any of this stuff. I am very happy with the power I have now and the GH tuning makes things easy to drive (stay under 30 psi of boost and everything else stays out of the danger zone). I did think I would have some more giddy-up but I can still get spanked by a Fiat 500 Abarth.

If I walk out tomorrow, find our that someone has stolen everything I’ve “modded”, and got a check for every penny I spent on parts for the truck, would I do everything the same again? Nope. Am I disappointed with what I’ve got now? Nope.

Sometimes the only way you can be satisfied is by personal experience. I now know that I could have been happy with new AD injectors instead of single shots...but only because I have single shots. If I never went this route I would have always wondered “what if” and never been happy with the truck, no matter how great it was.

Definitely Brian and you have done some great work. I hope I didn't come across as chitting on your choices. I wasn't by any means. That's one thing I love here are the good discussions....and you guys probably know something that I don't know. I just know two other people that run Stage 2s and said they had big regrets when towing heavy weight. One of them in fact switched back to Stage 1s to alleviate the EGT issue. Either way, good to know for if and when I have to make an informed injector choice.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:09 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
No worries. I didn’t take offense or feel the need to defend. As I said there’s no blueprint for more power so the more discussion the better for others to learn from those that have gone down that road.

Even though I know now I could have gone with AD injectors, 160/80 single shots is still my injector of choice and am incredibly happy with them.

Being a CA guy severely limits my options so I operate in a different framework than most (e.g. a T4 with a BW is not an option for me).

Old 11-18-2018, 08:06 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
No worries. I didn’t take offense or feel the need to defend. As I said there’s no blueprint for more power so the more discussion the better for others to learn from others that have gone down that road.

Even though I know now I could have gone with AD injectors, 160/80 single shots is still my injector of choice and am incredibly happy with them.

Being a CA guy severely limits my options so I operate in a different framework than most (e.g. a T4 with a BW is not an option for me).
Wondering about the single shots. I had always been told the splits were to make it run much smoother. Do the singles produce more power? Does your truck idle and run like it did with splits? And yeah, us California guys are pretty limited....which blows, but.....

Old 11-18-2018, 08:12 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
Single shots give you more power and better efficiency, mine idles about the same as it did before. I was actually surprised because I thought it would have more of a lope like the OBS trucks do, but it idles smooth.

Quick Reply: 7.3 next possible upgrades