6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Whats the most common, recent 6.7L problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:58 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats the most common, recent 6.7L problem

This question came up (on another RV site). A quick scan here reveals nothing - well maybe the question about the DEF indicators or should I delete. That says alot about the current PSD.

Am I missing something?

Old 11-02-2018, 09:01 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Nope pretty trouble free. My 2015 went 90,000 miles needing new front brake calipers and rotors. Slide pin freezes up and ruins brakes.

I also had a Steering Wheel Position Sensor go bad. So pretty minor stuff.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:30 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Blowing out the intercooler cold pipe is what I've seen reported. Replacing it with a Rudy's, Mishimoto, etc pipe eliminates the problem. The problem increases with towing or tuning.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
6.7s are notorious for coolant leaks, whether it's from a cracked radiator or hoses/seals. I have a seal leaking right now on a lower hose.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
Blowing out the intercooler cold pipe is what I've seen reported. Replacing it with a Rudy's, Mishimoto, etc pipe eliminates the problem. The problem increases with towing or tuning.
I have read of that; are the newer years still popping them? Other than net friends I personally don't know of a single case of it.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:07 PM
goatram
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2011 DRW and my 2015DRW threw the EGR Cooler fault codes, requiring both to be replaced at 40,000 and 43,000 miles respectfully, the 2015 had to replace the Particulate Filter and the Fuel Pump in the tank. I'm at 58,000 miles. My neighbor's truck threw the EGR Cooler code and required replacement at 45,000 miles. It did it again at 80,000 miles and he deleted it instead of replacement.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:27 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Army RET
I have read of that; are the newer years still popping them? Other than net friends I personally don't know of a single case of it.
Yes. The faulty part is still there.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:10 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Army RET
Yes, the problem is still there as the pipes are made of plastic. After many heat cycles and boost, the plastic cuff at the throttle body will burst. If you are lucky, you will get a small amount of oil vapor on the hood warning you, or you will be like several of us that had no warning at all and BOOM!
I have a friend of mine that I tow with quite often and has carried my spare tube with him for the past several months as he didn't want to change his. He gave it back to me about three weeks ago thinking he would be ok now that the hot weather was done. Tow days later on his way to work WITHOUT towing, it let go. Of course he was on o f the luckier one that hos truck lasted until 75k miles unlike Rodney or myself that grenaded in less than 30K. Simple fix, around $250 and an hours time depending on make you get.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:52 PM
ARLO Ellingson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F250 issues so for after 3.5 years

Truck has been ok but, I would not own a 6.7 without an ESP. First 3 under factory warranty: steering box and water pump replaced. Left side valve replacement and regen pcm reprogramed, cab off job very scary if you see one. Just had primary radiator replaced at 24993 mi under ESP 100 ded, basically paid for having the plan. These are not the old reliable diesels as the past, tech and emissions are making them that way. Pulls my trailer like a beast though.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:12 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Slightly distracting from the recent common theme, I’ll post my list of notable issues below. I have had an expensive 2018. 101 months since built. I have had some of the common issues, such as the CAC duct cracking so I’ll bold what I think are the more recent common issues I read here among multiple model years. The 6.7L is still a good engine. For Ford, it had to be in my opinion. While I had the ESP, it paid for itself with just two mirror replacements.

• Early transmission issues (gear 2-3 shift issue) that took 32,000 miles to resolve over at least eight trips to the dealer. Three shift solenoids replaced.
• Towed to the dealer when the VGT became unresponsive on the highway. Multiple restarts didn’t resolve. At the time I didn't understand how, if the engine was running, the turbo wasn't spinning but now I know the vanes were most likely stuck closed. It still does this a few times each year but a restart resolves (the ‘fix’ was a firmware update).
• Driver mirror replaced twice (passenger mirror is now dead)
• Front differential leaking, resealed.
• Primary water pump failed.

** Five years; factory + ESP warranty expired **

• DEF sender/heater assembly failed.
• Coolant line to turbo failed.
• Vacuum pump oil leak (loose screws, self-corrected for now).
• CAC duct cracking (didn't blow apart like some have experienced, was cracked on both ends and leaking air, down a few PSI on boost)
• Wastegate solenoid, vacuum line replaced.
• #5 fuel injector failed, replaced.
• DEF injector (doser) failed, replaced. (stuck open, this issue caused it to pour blue-ish smoke during active regen until EGT4 temps were above 950°F)
• Upper radiator hose leaking, replaced.
• EGR cooler core clogged (once).
• Replaced MAP sensor.
• A/C warm air. Vacuum, refill. No prior A/C work.
• Failing alternator, replaced.
• New cab bushings. (had been bad for some time)

Old 11-04-2018, 06:20 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Thank you, all. Since most folks recommend shopping for a 2015 and up my question really was concerning those 6.7s.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:05 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Some experience a oil pan leak. I did but fixed under warranty. Other than that i have had no real problems with my 15 F250. Still on stock CAC pipe. My truck is completely stock except for the 5th wheel hitch and air bags on the rear. I have about 60,000 miles and 30,000 miles towing my 5th wheel.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:14 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've noticed EGR, turbo and DPF failures listed here. I can't help but think that soot reducing additives like BetterDiesel FBC, Enerburn, AR6200, Opti-Lube would be helpful. These failures fly in the face of "these trucks are made to run on today's diesel fuel" comments. Some of us believe in fuel additives and some don't. Others have never given it a thought.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:02 PM
tmacc
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In the FWIW department, I was talking to my neighbor and ask how his '15 6.7 was doing? 139k and zero issues.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:12 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
2013 at 57K most of it heavy towing or heavy payloads. I have had a few pcm updates for the trans shifting flares. 1 EGT sensor went out but not the one that would have shut it down.

Can't recall anything else motor related. I do carry a spare CAC tube and a EGT sensor.

Quick Reply: Whats the most common, recent 6.7L problem