2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Expy/Gator Sales Alone Not Enough To Save Ford

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 02:33 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Expy/Gator Sales Alone Not Enough To Save Ford

Ford keeps pointing at it sales of Expeditions and Navigators as evidence of how well the company is doing. But combined sales of both trucks is only around 58,000 units through October 2018. By way of comparison, Dodge has sold 55,000 Durangos through October 2018, albeit at lower transaction prices.

Comparing 2017 to 2018, Expedition sales are up only slightly, from around 42,000 through October 2017 to around 44,000 through October 2018.

Navigator sales are up quite a bit more, and have a much higher average transaction price.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd appreciate it if they'd try to stimulate sales even more by offering some incentives on purchases of the 2019 models...ideally before my ordered Expedition comes in. I always miss the incentives and often receive "customer cash" offers, but never when I'm ready to buy.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:37 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
They could stimulate more sales if they had more units in stock and stop the dealers from marking up the navigator 10k a unit.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:19 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Going_Going_Gone
I'd appreciate it if they'd try to stimulate sales even more by offering some incentives on purchases of the 2019 models...ideally before my ordered Expedition comes in. I always miss the incentives and often receive "customer cash" offers, but never when I'm ready to buy.
If you have already ordered, why does Ford need to give you an incentive to buy? Are you going to buy two?

Old 11-01-2018, 06:39 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Incentives and stock...... I looked around 2+ months this fall trying to find the Platinum Expedition I wanted, could not, and am now waiting on a 2019. If I could have found it Ford would would have already recognized the revenue and I'd be driving it.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:33 AM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jschira
If you have already ordered, why does Ford need to give you an incentive to buy? Are you going to buy two?
I was just hoping that they'd try to boost the momentum. Given the prices of these vehicles...IF they only offer rebates on the remaining 2018s, with interest rates on the increase, and the competition offering incentives to buy their older designs, how can they encourage the dealers to place orders on a product that can be expensive to "floor." No, I won't be buying a second one, and I never expected a handout when I ordered, I just made an observation: discounted financing or a thousand dollars might encourage others to buy, however on a $74K product $1,000 is only slightly more than a 1% "discount."

Old 11-02-2018, 06:56 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
As much as I like Expeditions, they are a massive-profit vehicle for Ford and if discounts or rebates are gonna make a difference, they would have to be really significant, like $5-10 grand on top of friends/family/employee prices. I am not gonna go to a restaurant that sells $50 dinners if I have a $1 off coupon.

That said, there is still something "off" about the Expy compared to the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban. In 2017, GM sold 250,000 combined large SUV's and Ford sold 60,000 Expeditions...or 25% as many. And GM does NOT do fire-sale prices to sell their big SUV's. It seems like there is some kind of "status" thing about the looks and/or historic vibe of the GM stuff. I live in a well-to-do Detroit area 'burb and Expy's are rare where big GM SUV's are all over the place...

And Ford sells 800,000 F-series pickups compare to 60,000 Expeditions. Expy sales are less than 8 PERCENT of F-series numbers.

Although I would prefer a new Expy over GM if given the choice, the 2018 Expy styling is still not "grabbing" me or making me really want one on the basis of looks. Although I don't consider it in the same class, I do like the Durango's styling the best of all of these.

George

Old 11-02-2018, 10:45 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Going_Going_Gone
I was just hoping that they'd try to boost the momentum. Given the prices of these vehicles...IF they only offer rebates on the remaining 2018s, with interest rates on the increase, and the competition offering incentives to buy their older designs, how can they encourage the dealers to place orders on a product that can be expensive to "floor."
Expys are only expensive if you want them that way. Dealers around me are advertising "base" XLT Expys with no options for $43k.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:47 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
That said, there is still something "off" about the Expy compared to the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban. In 2017, GM sold 250,000 combined large SUV's and Ford sold 60,000 Expeditions...or 25% as many. And GM does NOT do fire-sale prices to sell their big SUV's. It seems like there is some kind of "status" thing about the looks and/or historic vibe of the GM stuff. I live in a well-to-do Detroit area 'burb and Expy's are rare where big GM SUV's are all over the place...
GM is not the only one spanking Ford. As I pointed out, FCA sells almost as many Durangos as Expy/Gators combined.

I drive by the GM Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade plant all the time. That plant only shuts down for maintenance a few hours on Sunday afternoon. Except for then, it runs flat out. And a big expansion of the body plant is under construction.

Part of Ford's problem is that two of its best selling vehicles, the Expy/Gator and the Super Duty series are both made at the same plant. You can't sell what isn't on the shelf.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:31 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
GM is not the only one spanking Ford. As I pointed out, FCA sells almost as many Durangos as Expy/Gators combined.

I drive by the GM Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade plant all the time. That plant only shuts down for maintenance a few hours on Sunday afternoon. Except for then, it runs flat out. And a big expansion of the body plant is under construction.

Part of Ford's problem is that two of its best selling vehicles, the Expy/Gator and the Super Duty series are both made at the same plant. You can't sell what isn't on the shelf.
I don't think the Durango is a competitor, really; it's just a stretched Grand Cherokee that is more like the Explorer but a bit tougher. The Explorer is supposed to go RWD-based along with the new Lincoln Aviator next time around so it will fall right on top of the Durango's layout. Ford sells a bazillion Explorers and Chrysler sells a bazillion Grand Cherokees....Funny, but the Grand Cherokee/Durango plant is 5 miles from my house

In Detroit, I just looked at 2 dealers. One had only Platinum Maxes listing at $83k and the other had one limited regular length listing at $72k, employee price about $65k. Nobody in Detroit buys 2WD, and only fleets buy XLT's. Dealers in Detroit have Limiteds on up....or maybe a single XLT 4WD 202A as loss leader, which is still a $65k sticker.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:05 PM
mothnuts
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part of Ford's problem is that two of its best selling vehicles, the Expy/Gator and the Super Duty series are both made at the same plant. You can't sell what isn't on the shelf.[/QUOTE]

I think this sums up a lot the explanation of the numbers. If you can’t build enough of them it’s hard to offer more incentives or to really go after the competition. I have a ‘19 on order and it’s 3 months to get one.

Also, it’s going to be hard to break into that GM market. It took a 3 day test drive and several trips to the dealer lots before my wife agreed to trade her Tahoe in. People like the GM platform, it’s a status symbol, and they look good. People will have to be opened minded to see the benefits of the Expedition, and then the choice becomes obvious.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:41 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...-front-side-02

Here's the link from MT magazine on the 2020 Expy and Aviator. The vehicles are getting bigger, becoming RWD and getting more expensive with better 3rd row seating.

Potential Expy and Gator buyers will no doubt look at these first and possibly settle before even taking the bigger vehicle for a ride.

There was a time when Expy sales dominated that segment but it seems now that Ford only offers the large SUV's just to keep a player in the game.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:06 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
In Detroit, I just looked at 2 dealers. One had only Platinum Maxes listing at $83k and the other had one limited regular length listing at $72k, employee price about $65k. Nobody in Detroit buys 2WD, and only fleets buy XLT's. Dealers in Detroit have Limiteds on up....or maybe a single XLT 4WD 202A as loss leader, which is still a $65k sticker.
Local dealer has three "base" 2WD XLTs. MSRP is $54k. Has them on sale for ~$40k.

Where you getting $65K?

Expys are not expensive unless you want them that way.

This unit and 3 others like it are on sale for $40,448.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
windowsticker.pdf (685.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 11-03-2018, 09:43 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Local dealer has three "base" 2WD XLTs. MSRP is $54k. Has them on sale for ~$40k.

Where you getting $65K?

Expys are not expensive unless you want them that way.

This unit and 3 others like it are on sale for $40,448.
Here's a Detroit area style XLT, not a Max, with the 202A package: Sticker is 64,270. Add one more option and you get to $65k. Expy's in Detroit are expensive... We have snow here. Nobody would touch a 4x2. This is the CHEAPEST NEW EXPEDITION I HAVE FOUND IN THE AREA. Selling price, with Ford Employee discount, which every Detroit Big 3 dealer advertises as a loss leader, is admittedly under $57k. Friends and family would put it a bit under $60k.

More common dealer stock is Limiteds over $70k and Platinum Maxes at over $80k sticker.

No offense, but the Detroit market is the Detroit market; I have lived in this area for all of my 66 years and I know what stuff costs... It's all good; I ain't buying a $60-65k Expy, and I am DEFINITELY not buying any 4x2 SUV, nor is anyone else in Detroit. Yours is definitely a decent deal at $40k but buyers want climate control and more power goodies...and does the $40k include every possible military, current lessee, etc rebate? $14k off is more than a bit suspicious...

George

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Window Sticker 202A.pdf (1.26 MB, 11 views)
Old 11-03-2018, 11:04 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Here's a Detroit area style XLT, not a Max, with the 202A package: Sticker is 64,270. Add one more option and you get to $65k. Expy's in Detroit are expensive... We have snow here. Nobody would touch a 4x2. This is the CHEAPEST NEW EXPEDITION I HAVE FOUND IN THE AREA. Selling price, with Ford Employee discount, which every Detroit Big 3 dealer advertises as a loss leader, is admittedly under $57k. Friends and family would put it a bit under $60k.
Well, yes. If you add the $5500 202 package++++++, Expy's can get expensive. Quit checking the options list, and Expy's can be reasonable. But I have difficulty with people who want the "Double Diamond Super Platinum" model, then add another $10k in additional options (which should have been standard on the "Double Diamond Super Platinum" model in the first place) and then whine about how much they cost.

I get what you say about the 4x4, I grew up in OH. But I grew up driving rear drive 4x2 cars on bias ply tires, so I know that 4x4 is not mandatory, especially with the winter tires that are available now. 4x2 kills resale value, but as everyone in this forum plan on keeping their trucks "forever" (hence the justification for $20/qt oil changed every 3000 miles), resale should be of very little concern).

Yours is definitely a decent deal at $40k but buyers want climate control and more power goodies...
Now you sound like my wife. Can't live without automatic headlights. Turning that **** is such a drag.

Use a 65 Falcon as your daily driver for a few months. You'll be happy if the headlights work.

and does the $40k include every possible military, current lessee, etc rebate? $14k off is more than a bit suspicious...
Here is the breakdown:

*EXAMPLE: MSRP $54,060 - Factory Rebate $1,500 - FastCash Certificates $1000 - VIN Specific Bonus Cash $500 - Ford Credit Bonus Cash $1,000 - FSF discount $9,962. FastCash Certificates are limited in quantity and available on a first come, first served basis. Ford Credit Bonus Cash requires financing with Ford Motor Credit. Not all buyers will qualify. STK# JEA15191, JEA27846, JEA46669, JEA40977, JEA27848. Expiration date 11/30/2018
I have seen this frequently in Texas. OEM's give dealers a certain number of $500 or $1000 "coupons" that can be used on specific inventory. My guess is that is what the FastCash Certificates are.

Quick Reply: Expy/Gator Sales Alone Not Enough To Save Ford