2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford Financing Question

Old 10-31-2018, 04:34 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RGPolo
You guys all have very "Rich Blood"! Financing $78,000 trucks, wow. I can afford one, but felt a lot better paying cash for a $47,000 XLT, $30,000 dollars for a bunch of fancy stuff, don't make sense to me.
As much time as I spend in mine travelling going to the ranch in NM from Texas 15k on mine and I got it July 4th weekend 2018 ---- I cannot imagine it any other way .

Old 10-31-2018, 06:04 PM
tommy_z
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did almost exactly the same last week. Half down, FMCC the rest. 72 mo's @ 8% to get the $500 incentive. Finance guy recommended to make the first payment for the credit cycle to "flush out" and prevent them from taking the credit back, then either pay it off or re-fi elsewhere. There is no penalty for early payoff.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:04 PM
Heathen Dave
Junior User
Originally Posted by tommy_z
I did almost exactly the same last week. Half down, FMCC the rest. 72 mo's @ 8% to get the $500 incentive. Finance guy recommended to make the first payment for the credit cycle to "flush out" and prevent them from taking the credit back, then either pay it off or re-fi elsewhere. There is no penalty for early payoff.
Is 8% what you meant to type? As in 8% apr on the loan?
yikes

Old 10-31-2018, 07:16 PM
tommy_z
Freshman User
Yep...E-I-G-H-T. But I have no intention to pay that beyond payment #1. Just wanted their $500 incentive.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:33 PM
Heathen Dave
Junior User
Yep...E-I-G-H-T. But I have no intention to pay that beyond payment #1. Just wanted their $500 incentive.
are there any fees involved with refinancing? Just wondering.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:40 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 578 Likes on 383 Posts
YOU DON’T NEED TO WAIT UNTIL AFTER FIRST PAYMENT. Call Ford Motorr Finance, ask them for a Loan number and a payoff price. It takes about 5 days after you sign for the truck to get the loan number.

They will email you a payoff letter that you can provide to credit union to refinance or to FedEx a check from you to pay it off. I’ve done this many times. I seem to remember there may be a $50 fee to pay off early. But you only pay interest from date loan was signed to the date they receive your payoff check. A $50,000 @ 8% is $10.96/day interest. Every day you wait costs you.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:57 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Heathen Dave
are there any fees involved with refinancing? Just wondering.

it it depends on your state. Florida charges you 0.35% doc stamps on loan value when loan is initiated. Then I believe FMC charges a $50 fee to pay off the loan. So on a $50,000 loan FL doc stamps are $175 plus the FMCC Fee of $50. That eats into the $500 credit rebate which BTW you pay sales tax on. In Florida that’s about $35 in sales tax on the rebate. Plus if you refinance there’s a few days overlap from new loan initiation until Ford Loan payoff is booked. For those few days you’re paying interest on both loans.

And in Florida you will pay the 0.35% doc stamps again on the new loan value.

If if you are planning on paying cash then just finance $5,000 and pay the rest as a down payment. You will qualify for the $500 FMC Credit rebate and pay it off ASAP.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 AM
spleeft
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Flyct

YOU DON’T NEED TO WAIT UNTIL AFTER FIRST PAYMENT. Call Ford Motorr Finance, ask them for a Loan number and a payoff price. It takes about 5 days after you sign for the truck to get the loan number.

They will email you a payoff letter that you can provide to credit union to refinance or to FedEx a check from you to pay it off. I’ve done this many times. I seem to remember there may be a $50 fee to pay off early. But you only pay interest from date loan was signed to the date they receive your payoff check. A $50,000 @ 8% is $10.96/day interest. Every day you wait costs you.
Flyct,
What would be the optimal workflow to get whatever the current Ford Finance Initiative is? What is the minimum amount allowed to finance,( I'm not going to refinance )? Would I still need to call Ford Financing and request the loan number as you suggest above or since I was doing the minimum loan amount can I just pay it off the first month with minimal interest ? Thanks for any help.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:05 AM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by spleeft
Flyct,
What would be the optimal workflow to get whatever the current Ford Finance Initiative is? What is the minimum amount allowed to finance,( I'm not going to refinance )? Would I still need to call Ford Financing and request the loan number as you suggest above or since I was doing the minimum loan amount can I just pay it off the first month with minimal interest ? Thanks for any help.
Earlier this month when negotiating a new Focus the Ford I asked that question. The sales rep told me that they “like to see” a a minimum of $10,000 loan to get the finance cash rebate.

The sooner you pay it off the less less you pay in interest. $10,000 @ 6.9% is $1.89/day ininterest.

Just call them at 800-727-7000 after 5 days and ask for a payoff letter. They can track it via VIN number.

It takes about 5 days for the Loan to populate to their system. They have no hesitation providing the payoff letter via email immediately. They go through this all the time. That makes it simple. The loan payoff letter will have all instructions. Sending your check to the payoff dept with the letter attached gets the title cleared quickly. If you send a personal check they hold off clearing the title for I think 10:ndays but stop charging interest as of the date they receive your check.

Another thing I do is use a credit card as much as they allow towards down payment to get credit card reward points to use for cash back. My Chase Unlimited VISA Card gives me 1.5% cash back. Most dealers only allow $5,000 on a credit card but that’s still $75 in rewards points at 1.5%.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:16 AM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
"Finance guy" lied to you. They CAN'T take the credit back. Once you've signed your paperwork and your deal is done, it's done.

I've done this twice, each time for $1,000 incentives to finance with Ford Credit. Both times, my first payment to Ford Credit was my last payment to Ford Credit.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:19 AM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
I seem to remember there may be a $50 fee to pay off early.
Nope. The ONLY way they can charge you a prepayment penalty would be if it was literally stated in the contract that you signed.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:25 AM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by spleeft
Flyct,
You're worrying about it too much. This is simple:

1. Sign the loan paperwork with Ford Credit, drive away with your new truck and your "extra" incentive for using them. Put down as much or as little as you want, doesn't matter, because what you don't put down you'll just pay your CU when you refinance.
2. Contact your credit union, apply to refinance your vehicle. They will contact Ford Credit and obtain the payoff amount (good for 10 days). Also, if you want to add the cash (that you did NOT put down on the vehicle) at this time, then just do that and finance less with your CU.
3. Sign your loan paperwork with Ford Credit and your CU will send a check and pay off your truck. Any over-payment for interest will be returned to your CU, and they will deposit those funds into your savings/checking account.

You got your $500 (or, in my cases, $1,000) incentive. They can't take it back. And you have a low interest loan from your CU. Done.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:32 AM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Another thing I do is use a credit card as much as they allow towards down payment to get credit card reward points to use for cash back. My Chase Unlimited VISA Card gives me 1.5% cash back. Most dealers only allow $5,000 on a credit card but that’s still $75 in rewards points at 1.5%.
Most dealerships won't allow you to use a credit card for the down payment because there are multiple "fees" (merchant fees, interchange fees, etc.) that they have to pay in order to accept that credit card payment. The average amount of total fees to accept a credit card payment is around 2.5% to 3%, so a $30,000 credit card payment can cost them upwards of $900. Even just a $5,000 payment costs them $150.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:11 PM
spleeft
Mountain Pass
Thank you Flyct and rpilot for the replies .

Old 11-14-2018, 01:03 PM
whagen
Tuned
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
All you need to do is call whoever is going to lend you money and they will do a credit check and see where you fall on your DTI. Before buying my truck I called my credit union to verify what rate they would lend me money at. I knew I could afford it, but know I have a mortgage that is large and was looking to put down minimal on the car load (the return on my investments is better than the rate on the loan). Yeah it pains me to have such large loans but it works out better to leave my money where it is.

The bank may have an underwrite look at your financials but it's an easy process that can be done over the phone. The one thing is you need to know how much you want to borrow and not ask how much can I borrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Financing Question