When does "some rust" become "too much rust"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 04:12 PM
bitemark
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When does "some rust" become "too much rust"?

Hi all, from Brisbane, Australia

I've got an 85 XLT RHD Bronco that I bought 4 years ago. It's been parked up for 3 years and I finally have space and time for a rebuild.

Firewall rust was always visible, so I thought my first job should be to pull the 351/C6 and the dash, to see what the damage is.

So - attached images show the damage. I'm not sure how the RHD firewalls are assembled for export vehicles - maybe mine was done by a dodgy Aussie welder being paid minimum wage, but there are big holes everywhere. Most concerning is the rust inside the windscreen scuttle/cowl area and the obvious holes in the firewall.

My question - when is "some rust" considered "too much rust"? I am happy to do the repair work myself (semi-skilled but willing to learn), including either patching, smoothing or firewall replacement if needed. Otherwise - should I ditch this body and look for a replacement - either a donor car or replacement? My build plan includes a 460 swap, and everything else reconditioned/improved to create a reliable Sunday driver. I haven't spent much money on this one yet, except for $10k purchase price plus my labour so far.

I'd appreciate any info on how to start this one, or whether to recycle this car and look for another.

Thanks Mark

Driver's side firewall:

Passenger's side firewall:

Transmission tunnel:

Inside cabin above transmission tunnel:

Inside cabin driver's side:

Inside cabin passenger side:

Windscreen scuttle - rust holes into cabin:

Old 11-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Beechkid
Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts
IMHO, as far as the firewall goes, I would just cut it out and build up a nice custom one....which you will need anyways because of the engine/drivetrain. The rest of it looks minimal except for the floors but, as long as the rest of the cab is in good shape...IMHO...go with what you got!!!!!

Old 12-18-2018, 10:12 PM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have limited experience with this kind of thing, you should probably sub out the rust repair and panel replacement and focus on learning how to do the bodywrk and paint. When replacing rust panels it has to be done right, otherwise “new” rust will just set back in. It also needs to be done so that the vehicle is structurally sound. I agree with the previous poster in that you should probably just do a custom firewall. If you are ultimately going to dump a ton of money into that thing and are wanting it to be legit, you need to just bite the bullet and have the body media blasted. You better get ready though because i can assure you it will be shocking once they uncover everything that is going on there.