Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 F-150 electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 03:15 PM
msestak
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 F-150 electrical problem

For the past few weeks my truck would grind here and there while starting. It still would start just fine until all of the sudden it just stopped. Then only “click” when I turn the key. I figured the starter or solenoid may have gone bad. I replaced both. Then still just a click. I then thought the battery may have died throughout this process so I attempted to jump start the truck. Now multiple clicks from the starter/solenoid even after turning the key off. The process also killed my car battery that I was trying to jump with. So luckily I had my wife’s vehicle to jump my car. I’m not sure what to check next. Why would jumping the truck drain the car battery and shut the car off? I’m very puzzled. Could the ignition switch be shorting out somewhere? There are also sparks from the positive terminal when trying to start. Anyone seen anything like this before?

also should note that the alternator was replaced a couple months ago with no issues since then.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:33 PM
FordMasterRace
Senior User
I’ve had this exact issue on 3 vehicles. I strongly suggest reviewing the wiring to the starter and make sure that is all fine. Look for any loose connections/grounds. Clean and tighten accordingly.

There is also the chance you got the solenoid wiring wrong or a bad solenoid. It is not at all uncommon to buy a bad solenoid. Buy a Motorcraft unit and it should be perfect. If I think of anything else I’ll come back

Old 10-28-2018, 07:10 PM
msestak
New User
Thanks for the quick reply. I will have to try the motor craft part. I have been using solenoids with a lifetime warranty, but replacing them gets old.

On the wiring topic, I have the positive battery cable along with the cluster or 3 smaller wires on the right post (toward the firewall when mounted) of the solenoid. Then the cable to the starter on the left post (toward the front of the truck when mounted). There is a small wire with a rubber fitting that I have attached to the smaller top post. I believe this is how it has always been wired.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:54 PM
FordMasterRace
Senior User
Originally Posted by msestak
Thanks for the quick reply. I will have to try the motor craft part. I have been using solenoids with a lifetime warranty, but replacing them gets old.

On the wiring topic, I have the positive battery cable along with the cluster or 3 smaller wires on the right post (toward the firewall when mounted) of the solenoid. Then the cable to the starter on the left post (toward the front of the truck when mounted). There is a small wire with a rubber fitting that I have attached to the smaller top post. I believe this is how it has always been wired.
That sounds correct. I’d look for grounds. I’ll tell you where I had a loose one: right on the radiator support, in front of the battery.
I’m not an electrician, anything related just pisses me off! I’ve experienced enough of it. I hope you figure it out. Although I’m thinking it is the solenoid .

Old 10-29-2018, 02:17 PM
puppyf250
Senior User
A quick way to determine if the solenoid is bad, is to jump the two big posts with a screwdriver. If starter engages then either the solenoid is internally bad, or the trigger wire to the solenoid might be bad. Just make sure truck is in park or neutral. This test can be done with the key off. If this does not engage the starter, then start looking for loose connections, or low battery. Sparks from the positive battery terminal are not a good thing. To me this indicates a loose or bad connection. This would trigger these issues you are having, as you need a good solid connection to make everything work.