Towing at night, getting high beamed flashed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 03:18 PM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Towing at night, getting high beamed flashed.

So I had to tow through the night on my last trip, something I try to avoid, but was unavoidable this time. I kept getting flashed by on coming drivers because apparently my lights are too high and blinding people. I have 2016 F250 with the camper package and use an 4 Point Equi-li-zer Hitch. The tongue weight of the trailer is only 700 lbs and the hitch is adjusted correctly according to the owners manual height measurements. The truck rear end drops approx. 1 1/4 from unloaded height, but this is enough to throw the alignment off for the lights. I am looking for suggestions on how to remedy this issue without using the hitch to do it. Using the hitch would put the adjustment out of the normal range according to Equi-li-zer. basically the truck sags too much even with the hitch attached. I have looked into the Torklift spring helpers, and they look reasonable. Is there other possible solutions? PS I do not want air bags, I think that would be over kill.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:32 PM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
There is a lever behind the steering wheel, on the left side. You just pull it, to let the oncoming driver know they are being overly sensitive.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:33 PM
xrated
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first question would be, are you sure the tongue weight is 700 lbs? Are you guessing or have you gone across the scale.....like a CAT scale at most truck stops? If in fact your tongue weight is only 700 lbs, are you carrying anything else in the bed of the truck that would affect the rear to sag? When I had my 2011 F250 CrewCab 4x4 Diesel (no camper package on it), just towing a 7' x 16' enclosed trailer that weighed in at about 5K lbs, would cause the rear end to sag a bit. I ended up putting air bags on the truck, as I spent quite a bit of time driving home from the track on Sunday evenings in the dark. One of the things I would highly recommend though is to load the truck and trailer up exactly like you use it/tow it, and go across a CAT certified scale for more precise numbers.....if you haven't already done this.

I'm not sure why you would be against the use of airbags to level the truck. Airbags provide a very good method for levelling the truck. Keep in mind though, they do NOT add any additional payload capacity to your truck. Their purpose is to level and stabilize.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:39 PM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried that several times with a few angry responses. So it must be a substantial problem for them. I never had this issue with my F150 and the same trailer. The camper package makes my truck sit almost perfectly level unloaded so any squat throws the lights off. I just was trying to avoid the expense of airbags, I had them on a prior truck. Can these lights be adjusted like on the older models?

Old 10-26-2018, 03:40 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,543 Likes on 832 Posts
Originally Posted by harmanrk
There is a lever behind the steering wheel, on the left side. You just pull it, to let the oncoming driver know they are being overly sensitive.
LOL.... That's funny, but true. I used to get that a lot with my F-250. Still do with the 350 but not as much. Good reply.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:16 PM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by sgeorge
Can these lights be adjusted like on the older models?
Yes, there are adjustment screws, and it may be that your need to be adjusted downward. There is a section on it in the manual.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:37 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Takes two seconds to adjust the headlight aim. Assuming they’re not already at their lowest, just adjust them down when you have the camper on, and back up when it’s off.

Should actually help you see better too since the beam will be more focused on the road than the sky

Old 10-26-2018, 04:37 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Take up another link in the chains. See if that does not bring the front end down.1 1/4" drop at the rear and none in front will throw the lights up quite a bit.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:55 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
1. Do you have a leveling kit installed on the front? If so, there's your problem. Even without the trailer your lights are probably not aimed right.
2. What is the measurement of the front wheel well height before/after the WDH is connected? If you aren't getting the front close to the unloaded height then you probably don't have the WDH configured right.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:19 AM
Run-n-gun
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights are super easy to adjust with a phillips screwdriver. Adjust them down a little when you're towing.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:25 AM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 363 Likes on 133 Posts
Headlight misadjustment is an extremely common issue with loaded pickups especially lifted or trucks with leveling kits. Additionally when you have the fog/driving lights on they are really bad even when not loaded.

There are recommended methods to adjust head lights so when you are ready to tow. The other is and this is for anyone driving in traffic, turn off the fog/driving lights. They are set just way too high and areareal aggravation. I got ticketed by both Oregon and Washington Howayda patrols for this one when I was headed home.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by harmanrk
That is the fastest way to get your lights turned off for you by some guy with a sledge hammer.

And yes, turn off your G%&@#$ fog lights.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:41 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 363 Likes on 133 Posts
Now let’s be calm about this. Many people don’t understand the importance of properly adjusted lights to overall safety on the highway.

used to be we had vehicle safety inspections where they checked the vehicle and there were less issues. Now they never check height let alone the adjustments.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:03 PM
xrated
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
That is the fastest way to get your lights turned off for you by some guy with a sledge hammer.

And yes, turn off your G%&@#$ fog lights.
I don't believe I saw where the O.P. mentioned anything about having his fog lights on!

Old 10-28-2018, 07:43 PM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
Yeah, and if you see a car coming toward you with no headlights, don't flash yours at them, gangs have started using this a a way of finding targets for initiations.

An event that happens on nearly every roadway, every night. The driver of a vehicle sees an oncoming vehicle with brighter lights than expected. Driver of the first vehicle flashes their high beams once or twice to remind oncoming driver to dim their high beams. Driver of oncoming car responds with a single flash of their high beams, to demonstration, that their high beams were in fact not on. Nobody is hitting the breaks, making a U turn, running anyone down, then what, forcing them off the road, before retrieving a sledgehammer to smash headlights. (I guess if you ever do find yourself in this situation, you would be pretty well justified to use 8000 pounds of truck to remove yourself from the situation by driving over them while they are on the back swing with the hammer)

Quick Reply: Towing at night, getting high beamed flashed.