Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF-6 Truck Questions

Old 12-25-2018, 08:41 PM
oharal
Junior User
oharal is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dang I should not have opened this thread! D: Now I really want to manual swap my Excursion more...

That looks like a really great truck! Congrats on a sweet score.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:34 AM
7.3 Powerstroke Guy
Junior User
7.3 Powerstroke Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Congrats man! howd the buck70 ride go?

Thanks! The ride went great. I'm used to daily driving a dually with 4:10s and I found out how badly I missed having 3:73s for cruising on the highway. It was really nice to have the RPMs lower while cruising @ 70.

Otherwise, I found myself catching on to the ZF-6 quickly.

Once I got within a few miles of home, I quickly learned that hill starts are a little challenging. I live in a pretty hilly area. Those are one thing that I am still working on perfecting.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:44 AM
7.3 Powerstroke Guy
Junior User
7.3 Powerstroke Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Nice looking truck! Great choice!

Take your time and learn the truck and how it shifts, how it starts from a stop and enjoy the ride. I love my ZF6 truck and do not regret the choice for one moment.

Thanks for posting pictures, we sure do like them.
Thanks!

I am totally in love with the ZF-6. I have to admit, it was a bit of a leap of faith to go from always driving an auto truck straight into a manual. I have wanted a ZF-6 truck for a while, and wish I didn't wait so long to find one.

I don't miss driving my 4R100 truck one bit! I just love having total control of the truck and I never had that with the 4R100. It just wasn't always doing what I wanted it to when I wanted. And especially when towing in hilly areas while it just didn't always shift when I wanted it to and etc. I am pretty much surrounded by hills here in Eastern PA.

I have learned that hill starts can be a bit challenging but I am starting to get a little bit better at them. There are lots of intersections around here with uphill approaches.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:45 AM
Markus Luukko
Senior User
Markus Luukko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 7.3 Powerstroke Guy View Post
Thanks! The ride went great. I'm used to daily driving a dually with 4:10s and I found out how badly I missed having 3:73s for cruising on the highway. It was really nice to have the RPMs lower while cruising @ 70.

Otherwise, I found myself catching on to the ZF-6 quickly.

Once I got within a few miles of home, I quickly learned that hill starts are a little challenging. I live in a pretty hilly area. Those are one thing that I am still working on perfecting.
In my experience with driving my truck in a hilly environment, if you really donít want to stall it, start out in L ( or low or 1st depending on who youíre talking to). Itís really hard to stall in low, you almost can dump the clutch in low gear. After driving it a lot more youíll become accustomed to how it likes to be driven. Have fun!

Old 12-26-2018, 11:16 AM
00t444e
Posting Guru
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's not that hard to start out on a hill, just put it in first and let off of the clutch until it starts to pull then let off of the brake and go. I can do that with 3.73s and 35s, it should be no problem with stock tires.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:47 PM
Bill Kay
Senior User
Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great looking truck. You should be proud to own it. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 PM
aquartlow
Junior User
aquartlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Congrats on your purchase, getting rarer to find such a good truck still available with a ZF 6 speed no less. I found doing the accelerator pedal's TPS mod allowed easier go pedal/shift timing. As far as fluid I run 5w-40 Mobil 1 diesel engine oil in my 340K mile ZF 6 speed, I found it lessens the "gear rollover" noise and is easier to shift in cold weather(central Florida can get into the low 30's) as compared to the bit heavier 15w-40. The 5w-40 oil has MUCH better lubrication abilities compared to ATF. Once again congrats on your purchase.

Here is a link to the TPS mod I spoke of, really helps with shift/accelerator pedal timing: https://www.thedieselstop.com/conten...%20Pedal%20Mod

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.