2.3 MPG Predictions/expectations?? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > 2019 Ranger
Reload this Page >

2.3 MPG Predictions/expectations??

Notices
2019 Ranger Everything about the new 2019 Ford Ranger.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:19 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
2.7EcoBoost is starting off with a positive reputation.

With Chevy releasing the very disappointing EPA numbers for the Silverado 2.7 4cyl (20/23 for a 2wd), it's really making me wonder what the Ranger will come in at. While we don't know the curb weight of the truck, somewhere around 4,500lbs for a SuperCrew 4x4 should be close. I personally think anything less than a +2 city/hwy compared to a 2.7 F-150 4x4 (19/24) will be a huge letdown. In other words 21/26 for a 4x4 Ranger. I really could see this truck getting the same 19/24 as the F-150 or like 20/24, just because of the little 2.3 having to work harder. I know 2 mpg isn't much, but the 2.7 would make this truck change the rules, so if the 2.3 doesn't beat the 2.7 numbers handily, I for one will be a bit disappointed.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:31 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
I just rented a 2.3 mustang convertible, I drove it in sport mode only and was very heavy on the throttle. It was 100-115F so I left it running with the remote start / A/C on a lot and still managed to pull 20.5 mpg with it. I was very impressed! No telling what it will do in the Ranger but I have a feeling it will be pretty competitive!

Old 10-14-2018, 05:31 AM
tseekins
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I think the engine is going to be a work horse and a force to be reckoned with in that capacity. I do also feel that MPG's will be dismal and uninspiring at best once this engine is working hard. One only needs to look at the 3.5L eco to verify my comments. It's an amazing engine and it does well on MPG's when it's cruising but as soon as you latch something on to it, she's burning some fuel.

The way Ford was able to kind of get away with the 3.5L being thirsty while working is the 3.5L replaced the 5.4L V-8 and MPG's for the two were compared by Ford. The 3.5L did and does better than the 5.4L. However, the 2.3L has no other siblings to compare to for the class of truck that it's going in. I think people will be disappointed with the fuel economy because people buy truck to pull 50,000 pounds and achieve 40 MPG's doing it.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:09 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
smlford has a good reputation on FTE.smlford has a good reputation on FTE.
Don't forget the new 10 speed tranny will hopefully keep the engine running in its best power band.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: