2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:10 PM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroo
Quit wishing and read, I posted right under you. I counted them at 3 dealers when I was shopping earlier this year. I was wanting to drive one, there were hardly no gassers except the xl/xlt fleet work trucks and I didn't count them. Only 2 of the dealers had lariat value equipped trucks with the 6.2. It was not something I would want.

Very revvy and feels like the truck is too heavy for the motor to begin with. I put upwards of 50k a year on these things and would not like to hear it shifting all the time. Besides, If I wanted a gasser I would just get an f150 3.5 eco and throw some airbags on it. Its like 13 or 14k towing isn't it.
With how many miles you drive, and if you tow you are a prime candidate for a diesel truck. I do have to comment on the “revvy” thing..... my truck honestly lumps around like a harley. It is like the complete opposite of “revvy”. Now the f150 with the 3.5.... revvy. 6.2 in the SD not so much. As for the f150 tow capacity thing, NEVER TOW MAX..... I’ll be the first to admit i do DUMB A&$ things from time to time, but tow 13k with an f150 farther than 5 miles........no. F150’s pull mid size rv’s and fishin’ boats...... not montana 5er’s.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:16 PM
ShotgunZ71
Tuned
Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts
When I did a calculation on fuel savings vs engine cost, it would take me over 40 years to make up the initial cost of the diesel. That’s not counting maintenance, etc. Now, as the price spread is close to $1/gal, the time to recoup is even longer. I enjoyed my diesel when I had one and may get one again one day. But, having towed my TT about 3500 of 15000 miles, the gas was a far better choice for my usage.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:20 PM
kendall69
Mountain Pass
What I love is all the "expert mechanics" that claim the NEW diesels have more maintanance than gas.
Even when there were bad diesels every bay was always filled with their hoods up and working on 90%
GAS vehicle engines.
Every ford shop I've ever been in since the 60's has the hood up working on GAS ENGINES in GASOLINE cars.
but yet people come here and complain about DIESELS.
I've only driven diesels since the late 80's Ford, GMC, HINO, IVECO, Hummer H1 Dodge Sprinter, both in my personal vehicles and
commercial trucks. That's around 40 years and I have never ever had and DIESEL engine related problem with any
of my vehicles, sure I replaced water pumps, alternators, belts, but never a diesel related issue.
Now the Einsteins that say do you "need" a diesel - WHO CARES what you need or don't "need" this is
the USA one doesn't 'NEED" to need something they can actually just WANT a diesel just "Because

Furthermore these expert mechanics that say they work on diesel don't have a clue 1) how the vehicle was driven
2) how it was maintained, etc, yet they come here and whine about diesels.

I have plenty of friends that work on gas vehicles that say NEVER BUY A GAS vehile they are junk and don't hold up.

You don't need to justify a diesel purchase to anyone especially all the Debbie Downers here

Old 12-23-2018, 06:32 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 496 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by Imadentguy

With how many miles you drive, and if you tow you are a prime candidate for a diesel truck. I do have to comment on the “revvy” thing..... my truck honestly lumps around like a harley. It is like the complete opposite of “revvy”. Now the f150 with the 3.5.... revvy. 6.2 in the SD not so much. As for the f150 tow capacity thing, NEVER TOW MAX..... I’ll be the first to admit i do DUMB A&$ things from time to time, but tow 13k with an f150 farther than 5 miles........no. F150’s pull mid size rv’s and fishin’ boats...... not montana 5er’s.
But if your driving a gas motor in a platform that created for the diesel, why not get the f150 with 3.5? 13k conventional towing capacity, 21mpg combined..wow. I'm sure its cheaper than an equally equipped super duty also. What is the f250 conventional towing capacity with the 6.2? Under 13k unless you get the 4.30...but my god that would get what? 10mpg unloaded?

Old 12-23-2018, 06:48 PM
puddintank
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kendall69
What I love is all the "expert mechanics" that claim the NEW diesels have more maintanance than gas.
Even when there were bad diesels every bay was always filled with their hoods up and working on 90%
GAS vehicle engines.
Every ford shop I've ever been in since the 60's has the hood up working on GAS ENGINES in GASOLINE cars.
I've only driven diesels since the late 80's Ford, GMC, HINO, IVECO, Hummer H1 Dodge Sprinter, both in my personal vehicles and
commercial trucks. That's around 40 years and I have never ever had and DIESEL engine related problem with any
of my vehicles, sure I replaced water pumps, alternators, belts, but never a diesel related issue.
Now the Einsteins that say do you "need" a diesel - WHO CARES what you need or don't "need" this is
the USA one doesn't 'NEED" to need something they can actually just WANT a diesel just "Because

Furthermore these expert mechanics that say they work on diesel don't have a clue 1) how the vehicle was driven

I have plenty of friends that work on gas vehicles that say NEVER BUY A GAS vehile they are junk and don't hold up.

You don't need to justify a diesel purchase to anyone especially all the Debbie Downers here
Just to clarify, are the "expert mechanics" claiming that there is more frequent maintenance required than gas due to poor reliability, or that like-for-like maintenance costs are higher than gas? Because my take away from this thread is that the maintenance costs are higher (oil changes, DEF, etc), which is different than repair frequency.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:48 PM
Imadentguy
Elder User
GAS vehicle engines.

Sir this is all nothing more than a bunch of gobblers dancing around in the digitized field of life. Not to be a “debbie downer” and i am far from an expert, but i have worked in the automotive industry for 20 years. 8 of those were in a large ford dealership, and 2 at a large dodge store. I will say that if you have had nothing but diesel vehicles since the 80’s and never experienced a costly failure, turn off computer, buy a plane ticket to vegas, and roll it all on red..... immediately. Diesel sprinter van and never had a problem? You are literally the only person in america. Those things are absolutely awful. Ultimately i would be interested in personality profile testing between gas and diesel owners. I think that would actually be something of substance.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:56 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
Price of diesel fuel is nuts where I live (TN). Yesterday it was $1.05 higher than 87. Roughly 35% higher than gas.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:57 PM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyinTN
Price of diesel fuel is nuts where I live (TN). Yesterday it was $1.05 higher than 87. Roughly 35% higher than gas.
Same here in Georgia.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:02 PM
Imadentguy
Elder User
I paid $1.82 for 87 on friday. Diesel was $2.89. I live on the west side of houston.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:07 PM
RedRage
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
My 2017 CCSB 4x4 is a diesel. The only reason it's a diesel is because that is simply what I wanted. I never tow anything with it and don't plan to. It's just that I wanted a diesel. Simple as that! I don't have to justify anything. Just buy your truck the way you want it and the drive it and enjoy it. Who cares what others think.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:11 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRage
My 2017 CCSB 4x4 is a diesel. The only reason it's a diesel is because that is simply what I wanted. I never tow anything with it and don't plan to. It's just that I wanted a diesel. Simple as that! I don't have to justify anything. Just buy your truck the way you want it and the drive it and enjoy it. Who cares what others think.
Exactly my thought when I ordered my diesel. Because I wanted it. Youll get most of it back when you resell the truck or trade it in. I had the bug and I wanted it. Should be delivered end of January

matt

Old 12-23-2018, 07:44 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 936 Likes on 737 Posts
GAS vehicle engines.

My 6.2 gas F250 has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. 97K miles of oil field fleet (XL no options) use before I had it too; it also featured blown shocks, gooseneck hitch, a cheapo custom push bar up front, and trashed body mounts. Its hard to explain in words but I've owned other 'beater' work trucks and this 2011 F250 is just damn near bullet proof.

I bought it as a cheap beater and I started driving it daily as I'm downtown and the regular cab long bed is very maneuverable. Along with catching up on the maintenance I threw some XLT wheels on it and tinted the windows. Doesn't use a drop of oil.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:51 PM
kendall69
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Imadentguy

Sir this is all nothing more than a bunch of gobblers dancing around in the digitized field of life. Not to be a “debbie downer” and i am far from an expert, but i have worked in the automotive industry for 20 years. 8 of those were in a large ford dealership, and 2 at a large dodge store. I will say that if you have had nothing but diesel vehicles since the 80’s and never experienced a costly failure, turn off computer, buy a plane ticket to vegas, and roll it all on red..... immediately. Diesel sprinter van and never had a problem? You are literally the only person in america. Those things are absolutely awful. Ultimately i would be interested in personality profile testing between gas and diesel owners. I think that would actually be something of substance.
Maybe you didn't read my post - I said DIESEL RELATED problems. Yes the Sprinter is and was the biggest piece of junk I ever owned. The roof leaked, Sliding door came off hinges, door hinged broke twice, tranny leaked, belt tensionor broke, electrical window switch failed, and on and on, but the diesel engine never went down, never left me stranded. Thr trick with the Sprinter was to keep HIGH REVS and never let it idle for hours. I used premium oil all my vehicles since the 80's, I added fuel treatments and injector cleaners to the Sprinter to be safe, nothing in any other diesel. Changed the oil every 15K, tranny every 40K, differential every 50K. When I sold the sprinter it was one of teh few times it wasn't showing some idiot light for tire pressure or something, but AGAIN the engine rans strong and actually ran better at 135K miles that new. No luck involved.

As far as all my other Diesel vehciles they were no different than any of my gas vehicles. The only difference of course was that some diesels took more oil than the gas.
But Changing fuel filters, oil filters, etc was the same - it needs to be done on both.

I have a 2008 F450 6.4 with verified service records for the dealer now at 125K miles and I drive it every day no diesel related issues Oil changed every 10K. That pook truck get abused more than any truck I've ever owned. Pull a 16' dump trailer overwaited most times to the dump on a regular basis. I still love that truck and refused to treade it in on my new diesel.

I just got a 2019 F250 Lariat 6.7 this week, and in my opinion is one of the finest vehicles I've ever driven, even compared to my wife's lexus, the 4runner she had, the gas Jeep SUV she had.

Each to his own, but to complaing about diesels from my end and I will never drive a gas vehicle in my life time.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:53 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 936 Likes on 737 Posts
Originally Posted by h20camper
$1,000 per year? How many miles you drive this truck a year and what are the prices of fuel around you?
In downtown Houston I'm seeing diesel at $2.70 and regular at $2.20, without looking around for deals.

20,000 miles at 10.5mpg in the 6.2 with $2.20 gas is $4,190.

20,000 miles at 16.5mpg in a diesel with $2.70 diesel is $3,272.

Also, my 6.2 at 165K miles really really likes 89 octane or it will bog. It has for as long as I can remember, even before the 5star 87 daily/tow tune. Worth mentioning.

Not knocking the 6.2 at all, just adding in some of my experiences.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:41 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
Ah.

I was thinking 14mpg for the 6.2 (my truck mixed driving) vs 19mpg for the diesel.

20k at 14mpg @ $2.20 = $3,142
20k at 19mpg @ $2.70 = $2,842

$300

Me too, not knocking the 6.7, just my experiences.

Quick Reply: Settling for the gasser?