2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 08:43 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
It can be argued many different ways, up and down.

Cant put a price on a smile

Old 12-23-2018, 08:49 PM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattymax
It can be argued many different ways, up and down.

Cant put a price on a smile
THATS RIGHT BROTHER! i smile everytime i open up that 6.2 and let that fat girl eat! Standard cab long bed 6.2 is an ANIMAL 0-60........does love gas though :-)

Old 12-23-2018, 08:55 PM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by kendall69
Maybe you didn't read my post - I said DIESEL RELATED problems. Yes the Sprinter is and was the biggest piece of junk I ever owned. The roof leaked, Sliding door came off hinges, door hinged broke twice, tranny leaked, belt tensionor broke, electrical window switch failed, and on and on, but the diesel engine never went down, never left me stranded. Thr trick with the Sprinter was to keep HIGH REVS and never let it idle for hours. I used premium oil all my vehicles since the 80's, I added fuel treatments and injector cleaners to the Sprinter to be safe, nothing in any other diesel. Changed the oil every 15K, tranny every 40K, differential every 50K. When I sold the sprinter it was one of teh few times it wasn't showing some idiot light for tire pressure or something, but AGAIN the engine rans strong and actually ran better at 135K miles that new. No luck involved.

As far as all my other Diesel vehciles they were no different than any of my gas vehicles. The only difference of course was that some diesels took more oil than the gas.
But Changing fuel filters, oil filters, etc was the same - it needs to be done on both.

I have a 2008 F450 6.4 with verified service records for the dealer now at 125K miles and I drive it every day no diesel related issues Oil changed every 10K. That pook truck get abused more than any truck I've ever owned. Pull a 16' dump trailer overwaited most times to the dump on a regular basis. I still love that truck and refused to treade it in on my new diesel.

I just got a 2019 F250 Lariat 6.7 this week, and in my opinion is one of the finest vehicles I've ever driven, even compared to my wife's lexus, the 4runner she had, the gas Jeep SUV she had.

Each to his own, but to complaing about diesels from my end and I will never drive a gas vehicle in my life time.
Im suprised you never had an emissions related failure with that sprinter. I used to watch people have strokes over repair costs when their blutec would throw a CEL and not be covered under warranty because it was ALWAYS blamed on the quality of fuel. People with rv sprinters always seemed to have the worst luck. We always figured it was because they were more prone to buying fuel at “middle of nowhere” stations.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
I have a hard time getting 14mpg on the highway. I run to San Antonio often about 3 hours in the low 80s on I10 and generally hit 90-100 for some legs to make time. Maybe that’s the issue.

As far as putting a smile on your face. Regular cab, 2wd, 3.73 gears, tuxedo black, rousch CAI, XL stripper, with 5star tunes... big smiles.

Replacing it with a similar F150 XL 2.7eco with a few more creature comforts next months. Hope it’s just as fun.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:17 AM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyinTN
Price of diesel fuel is nuts where I live (TN). Yesterday it was $1.05 higher than 87. Roughly 35% higher than gas.
Gas 1.97 , diesel 2.89 here in east TN. Lovin my 6.2.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:16 AM
6.2caribou
Laughing Gas
Received 165 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Imadentguy

Im suprised you never had an emissions related failure with that sprinter. I used to watch people have strokes over repair costs when their blutec would throw a CEL and not be covered under warranty because it was ALWAYS blamed on the quality of fuel. People with rv sprinters always seemed to have the worst luck. We always figured it was because they were more prone to buying fuel at “middle of nowhere” stations.
I came to my Ford 6.2 gasser from a 6.7 BlueTEC Cummins. BlueTEC should have been called BlowTEC. My 6.2 is currently at 16,400 miles. Fuelio shows me at 12.03 as my lifetime average. My Cummins was right at 12.5 mpg lifetime average. 87 octane here in western Pa. is $2.599, with diesel being $3.299. I have zero regrets with my measly, lowly 6.2.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:08 PM
RAY1969
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went from a 2008 Cummins to a 2019 6.2 SD. For me, it's all about expected long term survival. I want my last ever truck to be just that, my last ever (I'm 72 and about to retire in a couple years) and don't want expensive repair bills when my retirement next egg is running low. I only got rid of the Cummins because at 160K miles it ate a ring and burned a piston. Estimated repair costs were in the $15K range. Trade in value of the Diesel was basically nil given the expensive repair bill.

BTW, the new 6.2L gas is an upgrade over the old Cummins in useful power for me. I had no problems with the Cummns towing in the mountains here and every camping trip includes a climb over at least one of Colorado's scenic passes. The 6.2L should do just as well.

Relative to increased maintenance costs of Diesels, besides the fuel cost and initial price differentials - they are heavier and that meant extra wear on all the front end parts. Every trip to the shop cost at least $1000 and up, whether it was brakes, tie rods ends, ball joints, water pumps, etc. and there were a lot of them in the over 10 years I had it. For the estimated cost of the repair on the Cummins I could have bought two high hp crate motors. If my 6.2L needs a rebuild in 160K (it should go much further than that, but so should the Cummins) It'll be a lot cheaper than a Diesel repair. Ever priced a fuel pump for a Diesel?

Bottom line, I loved my Cummins towing my 31' Arctic Fox over Colorado's mountains for 10 years. I'm sure I'll equally love my 6.2L gas SD towing the same trailer over the same passes.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:16 PM
Barbero
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both engines are powerful enough. For me it came down to payload. I was unwilling to give up the 800 lbs of payload the diesel steals from you. I am very satisfied with the 6.2L performance.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:56 PM
RAY1969
Junior User
I got the Magma Red too. Interesting color. Depending on the light it sometimes looks black. It got lots of stares in the parking lot at work. I got the Lariat version and loaded it up because the KR wasn't available in a SuperCab.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:25 PM
CaliforniaKid
Junior User
I have no doubt the majority of Super Duty pickups are sold with diesels. When we bought our 6.2 gasser we had to check 4 dealers to find a one. And that brought the total number we saw up to two. One stripped model from the previous year and one current year. When I would ask why all they had were diesels, the answer I got most of the time was because they pull better and people will pay for more engine than they need, but not less. A couple salesmen told me because they make more money on the diesel, selling it and servicing it. I wanted more payload capacity and was unwilling to lose 800# for a diesel. I think we all agree that heavier towing requires a diesel, lower tow weight does not. Settling would be buying too small a truck for what you planned on doing. But to say everyone with a gas engine settled because they didn't get the diesel, is just ridiculous.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:29 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
I asked a my local dealer this question. He said they stocked more diesels because they make the dealership more money in sales profit and in maintenance fee's.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:56 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
I knew exactly what I wanted but when I went shopping the dealer didn’t have any 6.2’s to look at. I flagged down a sales guy and he said they had one or two out back that they keep around for the old guys. I asked him if he meant older and wiser guys but he just looked at me with a confused look on his face. He steered me really hard towards the 6.7 but finally agreed to go dig around in the boneyard for a 6.2. They didn’t have one with a long box so I ended up ordering one and he and I developed a pretty good relationship thru the ordering/waiting process but I still kid him about how he started off the sale by calling me an old guy!

Old 12-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Crabbman P
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
Not sure where these dealers are that have 6.2s only as unicorns. My dealer has 66 6.2s in stock and 59 6.7s at this moment.

https://www.prestonford.com/search/n...&tp=new&md=101

Old 12-30-2018, 02:06 PM
tuff4rd
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't want to settle for all the future and upfront cost on a diesel so went with the 6.2 and couldn't be happier.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:14 PM
Kevinm1980
Senior User
Always lots of gas super duties on the lots in Edmonton lots of diesels as well salesmen push diesel because their commission Wil be more, they sell them to ppl that don't need them, I went with gas becaysr I don't tow everyday, only about 7 times a year into the rockies, I like how well, and how fast the gas engine heats up, diesel can't touch that.. Even with the electric auxiliary heater, doesn't work well when it's - 30 outside

Quick Reply: Settling for the gasser?