6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Almost lost a tailgate today

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 12:37 AM
David_ski
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost lost a tailgate today

Today I almost had my tailgate jacked.

In a two hour window when my tailgate was unlocked, someone tried to take it with them when it was parked on the street in a nice residential neighborhood. I went to put a tool box into the bed and I dropped the tailgate. The cables were unhooked. First thought, how did they vibrate off. Not both at the same time. They can’t vibrate loose. Then I looked at the camera wiring harnesses. It was cut on the vehicle side. What saved my tailgate was a McGuard lock that I put on my truck the first week of ownership. I will lock my tailgate much more these days. I know the lock can be easily defeated. The thieves were not expecting the tailgate lock.

A short time under the truck and the camera is all working again.

Generally frustrated at society tonight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043SCBD4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043SCBD4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old 09-19-2018, 02:43 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
David, I'm glad you said almost
Too bad life is full of low life scum buckets.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you lock your tailgate, they'll bust the lock then find your hinge lock. You'll be worse off than you are now. I'd just leave it unlocked.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:16 AM
graysonp
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Deuce40s
If you lock your tailgate, they'll bust the lock then find your hinge lock. You'll be worse off than you are now. I'd just leave it unlocked.
This is true. I have made it a habit that whenever I'm parking in public, I will try to back into a spot against a building, light pole, wall, etc. The best anti-theft option is putting the truck in a spot that makes it impossible to open and remove the tailgate. Thieves will move on elsewhere.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:15 AM
David_ski
Senior User
Originally Posted by graysonp
This is true. I have made it a habit that whenever I'm parking in public, I will try to back into a spot against a building, light pole, wall, etc. The best anti-theft option is putting the truck in a spot that makes it impossible to open and remove the tailgate. Thieves will move on elsewhere.
When I park in a public lot, I try to back into a spot that has my tailgate against a wall. Not many walls to back into in a residential neighborhood.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:08 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I strongly disagree with this statement. Keep it locked, don't just give it to them make them work for it.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:34 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
I strongly disagree with this statement. Keep it locked, don't just give it to them make them work for it.
You've seen how easy the keyed lock is to bust out, right? It's not a deterrent. The hinge lock is the only thing that will slow them down.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I try to back in if possible. Since I am handicap, they usually have a sign so I will back in and get close to it.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad the lock foiled them. I just installed mine two weeks ago.

I keep mine locked (luckily its electric now).

Old 09-19-2018, 05:14 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You've seen how easy the keyed lock is to bust out, right? It's not a deterrent. The hinge lock is the only thing that will slow them down.
Sure it's easy to bust out. But the tailgate being locked isn't a deterrent, it's an obstacle. Most cracker heads want a quick and easy item to steal. I despise thieves by the way. But I'm of the mindset that I want any and all obstacles to slow them down. Say for instance if you and I are parked side by side. A cracker head walks by and wants a tailgate, mine is locked and he has no tools but yours is unlocked. Guess what.. Your tailgate is history. No having it locked is not a failsafe but it will deter a certain thief. Jmho

Old 09-19-2018, 06:41 PM
dmags
Senior User
tailgate

I learned on here a long time ago a quick deterent is to put a heater hose clamp over the round part where you remove the tailgate
slide the tailgate almost completely off and slide clamp over
i have done this to last 1/2 dozen trucks
just put the clamp in this position so you can't take it off from under the truck
hope it helps

hope it helps

Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 PM
David_ski
Senior User
Originally Posted by dmags
I learned on here a long time ago a quick deterent is to put a heater hose clamp over the round part where you remove the tailgate
slide the tailgate almost completely off and slide clamp over
i have done this to last 1/2 dozen trucks
just put the clamp in this position so you can't take it off from under the truck
hope it helps

hope it helps
I have the McGuard lock on my Ford. On my Tacoma, I used a hose clamp like you used. I actually found hose clamps that had a removable key that worked really well. I will have to find a picture of the hose clamp with removable key.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:55 AM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Tailgate theft is so rampant here in the California desert (meth capitol of the world), that mine is tucked away in the garage. Might have to look into the McGard lock.

I actually found a guy on the letgo phone app in my area selling late model Ford Superduty tailgates. Claims had many colors to choose from. Brought to the attention of my local Sheriff's dept, who really didn't seem to interested. I guess I am the only one who thinks its odd that a private seller would have so many tailgates. Well, on the bright side, at least he is offering to sell me back my stuff at a discount.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:48 AM
David_ski
Senior User
Here is another hinge clamp idea. This is what I have used on my Tacoma.
They are called 'Turn Key Hose Clamps' with a removable screw cap. Some brands have a welded metal key that won't work.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:35 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
I put the standard hose clamp on mine. I live in a relatively rural low crime area so hoping that's enough of a deterrent for the SBs to move on to someone else.

Quick Reply: Almost lost a tailgate today