Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Groaning steering

Old 09-18-2018, 04:26 PM
hjartland
Senior User
hjartland is starting off with a positive reputation.
Groaning steering

My truck groans when the wheel is turned to the left. But! Not when the steering wheel goes from full right to center. Only after the front wheels have passed being straight fowrard.

So the front wheels at full right to straight forward (center). There is no moaning of the pump.

From straight forward (center) to full left. The pump moans significantly.

Thoughts?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 PM
TooManyMIce
Senior User
TooManyMIce is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's an odd one. Sounds like something in the steering box isn't working right. I'd try flushing the system first, on the off chance there's just some crud in there.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:55 PM
hjartland
Senior User
How

How do you flush a power steering system? I have an air compressor and hand powered vacuum pump. Or is it gravity based? I am comfortable with opening the top section of the steering box. In case there is an o-ring at issue.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:57 PM
hjartland
Senior User
This

Think this guy knows what he's talking about?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+flush+a+power+steering+system&doci d=608048216438868597&mid=E8BA4E772132762C6A3EE8BA4 E772132762C6A3E&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT&PC=MOZB

Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 PM
TooManyMIce
Senior User
Link's not working. Couple options here though.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:48 PM
hjartland
Senior User
Metal

He mentions the metal return line. Is there such a thing? I thought that was a high pressure 'sending' line. Not a return line.

Would I disconnect it at the pump? Or steering box?

Old 09-19-2018, 03:41 AM
TooManyMIce
Senior User
I think he's working on a Ranger, so the plumbing he shows may be a little different. If there's an easy spot to disconnect the return line like he did, go for it (easier to catch the fluid that pukes out), otherwise you might as well undo it at the box.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 AM
ifrythings
Elder User
ifrythings is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Itís common for the power piston in the gear box to wear into the box on one side (the side against the frame) and that can cause hard steering to the left, Iíve had to junk a few boxes because of this wear.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:21 PM
hjartland
Senior User
Originally Posted by ifrythings View Post
Itís common for the power piston in the gear box to wear into the box on one side ...

Did you open them up? Just wondering if there is a way to tell definitively w/o pulling the box from the truck.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:24 PM
hjartland
Senior User
Gunk

Originally Posted by TooManyMIce View Post
... otherwise you might as well undo it at the box.
I see. Will have to try it. Though it might have to wait till after harvest.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM
TooManyMIce
Senior User
Interesting about the piston, I didn't know that. Probably not worth flushing it if that's the case.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:59 PM
hjartland
Senior User
Originally Posted by ifrythings View Post
... can cause hard steering to the left, Iíve had to junk a few boxes because of this wear.
Have you ever heard of them seizing? Or is it more likely to just get harder to steer to the left?

It has been an annoyance since I bought the truck 2 years ago. Noticable but not impeding steering. Just noisy.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 AM
ifrythings
Elder User
To see the wear on the housing they have to be opened up, Iíve never heard of one seizing up that been in use, I did have one that someone gave to me that was open to the elements and completely frozen from rust .

Basicly what happens over time is the end of the piston will wear the housing down and allow the piston to **** slightly and then it requires way more force to overcome the piston dragging on the housing. The very first box I redid was when I found out about the wear problem, didnít even know to look for it until after I had rebuilt the box and it had very low assist to the left and poor return to center from the left, figuring I screwed up somewhere I pulled the box out and apart and thatís when I saw excessive wear on the housing, it felt like a wash board it was that bad.

But before condemning your box I would make sure none of steering linkage/ ball joint or even axle u-joints are binding first, even changing the fluid in the power steering system wouldnít hurt to try, worse case youíd be out a couple bottles of atf to flush the system.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:00 PM
hjartland
Senior User

Had no idea they could wear that way. Thanks for all the insight. I'll flush it by disconnecting the return line at the box. I figure that should allow the pump to expel any crud.

Should the high pressure line stay connected during the flush?

Will put it up on jack stands & check the linkage. Though wouldn't the steering be hard from full right to full left? Not just from center to full left?

Old 09-20-2018, 01:42 PM
ifrythings
Elder User
These steering boxes have several wear areas besides the sector shaft adjustment on the top of the box, spool valve wears or gets crud in it, the recirculating ball assembly that couples the input shaft to power piston can wear the races and ***** giving a loose input shaft but tight box other wise, sector shaft wear/ mesh load out of adjustment, wear of the cylinder/case where the power piston travels to just name a few I know of off hand.

As for flushing the system I usually just pull the return line off the pump and drain the pump that way, then I have a bunch of vacuum caps kicking around and stick one on the pump, I then put the front end on jack stands and cycle the steering back and forth until as much of the old fluid is pushed out of the gear box, then I fill the pump and start the engine and cycle the steering while adding fluid to flush the box out after that just put the return line back on, top it up and with it running cycle the steering from stop to stop to bleed the air and add fluid if needed. Mite be over kill but works for me.

Leave the high pressure line alone unless you want to replace it, it doesnít need to be removed to flush the system.

As for the steering linkage check, itís free and easy to do before condemning the gear box. One time I put adjustable camber/caster shims in and set it to full caster, couldnít turn the tires more then half way and the upper ball joint was binding up everything, turned great the other direction that I didnít change yet, I donít think this could be your problem but it is one way the steering can bind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.